DTS/thx/dolby pro logic

Username: Cerebus

Post Number: 6
Can someone help me with all this crap? I kind of understand but what would be best? The receiver is capable of all that stuff and more, but what should I use? I have a 6.1 setup, any help will be appreciated

Bronze Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 93
dts whenever possible

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8541

People get as tired reading it as I do typing it. Put each one in a search engine.

Otherwise, THX does not preclude DTS but has nothing to do with DTS. THX is a standard of specifications and is a way of ensuring a level of performance. You cannot choose THX if you haven't bought THX equipment. You have to buy an entire THX system and source material to make THX viable. THX is not required to have a good surround system. DTS and Pro Logic are exclusive of one another. If you are still using Pro Logic for anything (other than regular TV), you need a better system. If you think Pro Logic sounds good, you need a better system.

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1015
I wouldn't agree that DTS sounds best (if that's what you are saying Jeff). In my experience it seems that it really depends on the source recording. In some instances some of the other DSP choices can work better because of their coding matching to what is sent through the various devices.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 984
If a DTS recording is mastered as well as the equivalent Dolby Digital recording, I would always choose DTS.

I have as Stof preluded to, encountered a few DTS tracks that were remastered from the original Dolby Digital track. Often these will sound no better and sometimes worse.

But if the movie was originally mastered in DTS it is a safe bet it will be the better choice.

I agree with Jan Pro Logic is crap.

Bronze Member
Username: Peychaud

Post Number: 25
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I was surprised to discover that I preferred my HK AVR 635's Logic 7 Cinema surround mode to Dolby Digital. I had assumed that Logic 7 was more or less HK's version of Pro Logic, but it was explained to me that Logic 7 differs from Pro Logic in that it processes the true 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS signal.

Am I losing anything watching movies in Logic 7 as opposed to Dolby Digital? In my experience, the receiver's Dolby Digital mode sounds muffled and compressed in comparison to the clear, wide open sound of Logic 7.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us