My First Home Setup / Advice needed

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3767
Ok im new to home audio so bare with me.

It will be used for music mostly and dvd movies and cable tv.

So far i ordered a Athena Audition F2.2 towers

I was recommended the HARMAN KARDON 3480 reciever for this setup.

Can you guys recommend me what i need to set this up. Thank You.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3769
Ok im new to home audio so bare with me.

It will be used for music mostly and dvd movies and cable tv.

I was recommended the HARMAN KARDON 3480 reciever for this setup.

Can you guys recommend me what else i will need for this setup like speakerwire etc... Thank You.

p.s. The Athena's are on order and i spent $400 free shipping for them. Im on a budget of about $350 ballpark for the rest.

I have a 1989 Sony TA-AX390 Stereo Amplifer that has worked all these years perfectly.

Audio Power Specs:

With 8 ohm loads both channels driven, from 20-20,000Hz; rated 135 watts per channel minimum RMS power, with no more than 0.9% total harmonic distortion from 250 milliwatts to rated output.

It also has a 5 band graphic EQ with 5 sources/functions for Phono, Tuner, CD, Tape, Video

Now do you guys think i should use this with the Athenas instead of buying a new reciever ? Will i be able to use this with DVD's and movies ? Thanks guys

Bronze Member
Username: Darth

The woodlands

Post Number: 63
Yes, the HK 3480 is a good option, it will drive your speakers nicely, if you can find one on HK Direct on e-bay it should go for about $200.00
IMHO it will be a better match for the Athenas than the Sony. As for the wire, a 12 gauge regular speaker cable should be fine.

You can always connect your DVD player to the HK using one of the video inputs but keep in mind that this is a 2 channel receiver so you will not be able to listen to the movies in surround sound (5.1).

You can also try these guys for the HK
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3960817

Good luck

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3774
Thanks for your input. Im probably going to test it with the my Sony TA-AX390 old school integrated stereo amplifier.

See how it sounds and plays out. It may be all i need. SONY made awesome stuff back in the 80's and early 90's. This model i have is from 89 and has been working since perfectly.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4021
MO,

what CD player are you using?

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3776
SONY CDP-C401 5 Disc player from 1989 that came with the Reciever, Tape, Phono, Radio etc...

4 Times oversampling digital filter / Dual D/A convertor system

It works fine still. What do you think ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4026
I would be worth it to upgrade that CDP, if you want better SQ especially for music. There is one in particular that I'm thinking about, which can be had for a song and sounds great even though it's a carousel:

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/MARCC4300

I used to have a 10 year old Sony ES player which this one blew away in an AB comparison on my system. Great punch, clarity, timing/rhythm, and warmth.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3777
That looks really tempting Edster922.

I also have a SONY DVD player i bought about 5 years ago. Does the DVD player make any effect on the sound while watching the movie ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4029
Yes...but remember that 90% of your attention is focused on the screen during movie watching, so IMO the main priorities with a DVD player are decent picture quality, long-term reliability, and ability to play scratched disks (if you rent a lot).

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3780
I guess that means i should use what i have and worry about the CD player at this rate. My DVD player skips somtimes if the disk is dirty or scratched. I may be in the market for a new DVD player soon. Need somthing nice that doest skip and is good for a budget to fit the rest of my system. THanks for your help ED

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3782
That MARANTZ CC4300 looks good so far. What about a DVD player to match it to finish off the system with.

Im recieving the Athena Towers on monday. I will use that sony reciever i have for now and maybe upgrade to the HK 3480 later. Do i need any special kind of rca connections or anything ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4033
I doubt it, the analog connections are pretty much the same across the board.

A good DVD player with rock-solid long term reliability plus the added bonus of playing SACD/DVD-A is the Pioneer 588, $130 shipped from vanns.com

For skipping of dirty disks, I've used Brasso cleaning liquid (just a few drops) with great results.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3786
Thanks man, looks like a great deal. I appreciate all your help. You seem to send me in the right direction. I will go one piece at a time.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4035
No problem. Just check back in and let us know how you like it.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3793
Ok Edster, i hooked up my Athena's to the Sony Reciever and it sounds horrible. Not enough bass and very bright. I think that reciever is not a good match with the Athena's.

I also hooked up the Athena's to my sony home theatre reciever that supposedly does 75 x 5 + 75 to the sub. It hardly was noticeable compared to the other speakers. Seemed like it needed more power.

Do you think the HK 3480 will do the trick and also work well with movies.

Are the Athena's good enough on there own to bring movies to life off the HK 3480 ?

Silver Member
Username: Uback007

Post Number: 104
Save up for Marantz 5600 receiver. You're not going to get the surround sound element with a 2-channel receiver such as the 3480...
The speakers need to break in as well...a lot of speakers sound a bit "bright" when they are new..They will begin to open up after about 20 hours of use..and be fully broken in after 50-60
I would also look at NAD receivers off of Ebay. Or even go the H/K route and look at their A/V receivers. Something like the 240 or 340 THey sound pretty good for the money. Also they rate the wattage "true" - I have heard the 140 a/v receiver which is 40 watts to each of the 5 channels blow away a 100 watt per 5 channel amp.
NAD also rates their amps true...Denon, Yamaha, Poineer, Sony do not. Let your ears be the judge...I personally think that most of the japanese stuff sounds a bit bright and "cold" compared to the NAD, Cambridge Audio, H/K stuff, which I think sound warmer... and more realistic..
There a lot of diretions to go...Check out Audiogon.com for used stuff...its an audiophile oriented site with stuff for sale and auctioned. Most of the items for sale there have very well taken care of.

Another route to go for sound quality would be the Cambridge Audio receiver 540R...you can find one at Spearitsound.com refurbished for #399.00 and I think they are including shipping.. It is rated at 100 true watts per side in 2 channel and 80 watts per channel x 5 I have their 2 channel 640a integrated 2-channel amp which is rated at 65 watts per side and love it. I got it off Audiogon.com for $250 and it sounds awesome.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4042
The Athenas do have a break-in period as Uback pointed out, but as big massive towers they are probably beingunderpowered by your Sony which only makes them sound brighter due to poor bass response.

The HK3480 would probably work very nicely, as long as you're ok with it only being a 2-channel receiver.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3795
Thanks uback.

ED, this is mainly for music and movies. 50/50

If the athena towers can hold there own with the 2 channel reciever then im fine with it that way. Im trying to get one right now on ebay for around $200. I was reading thru the Atena owners manual and it says anywhere from 20-100 watts will drive them effectivly.

Marrantz 5600 and HK 3480 is the options so far.

If i want to go surround sound then marrantz. Just not in the budget for now.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4046
What loudspeaker manufacturers claim to be "sufficient" power is often very marketing-driven...they don't want to scare off potential customers by telling them that they'll need some beefy expensive amp.

Also it's not just about wattage but more about high current, which the Sony receivers are very wimpy on compared to an HK.

Big difference between what you need to make speakers "loud enough" versus "actually sounds really good." "Good" = fullness, richness, quick/tight bass.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3798
Well whould like to watch movies and feel like im at the theatre but without the surround. I like the impact when somthing happens in action seen and want to feel it and here the richness and fullness like you were saying.

I want overall SQ but when i play my rap music and other heavy music i want to be able to hear it and feel it.

Maybe i can look into the marrantz 5600 later on if i want a full surround system.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4047
I doubt the F2.2s will let you "feel" the bass unless you are running them with a very powerful amp like this:

http://www.spearitsound.com/nad/c352.asp

You could get the HK and then add a subwoofer to handle that kind of deep low bass and then run your F2.2s on "small" (not sure if the 3380 or 3480 has that kind of crossover though, you need to check on it). The F2.2s crossed over at 80Hz would require much less power to make them sing.

Bronze Member

The woodlands

Post Number: 66
You can always hook a Subwoofer to the 3480 and make it a 2.1 system. It will add a nice amount of bass when Playing Rap music or listening to movies. The 3480 is a nice receiver, I think you will like it.

Bronze Member

The woodlands

Post Number: 67
I guess someone beat me to the Sub woofer idea...anyway hope you will enjoy it

Later

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3801
Im kind of happy i bought the Athena's but im dissapointed that i dont have the experience to match it up right and get the sound they are known for.

From what i have read, they are capable of putting alot of bass out without the need of a subwoofer from all the reviews i have read. Maybe i need to hook it up with a better reciever like the HK3480 and use the controls to eq the sound i want.

Im a first timer when it comes to a home audio system so thanks for the help so far and everyhing.

Im in a tight budget for the rest of the setup but im definetly going to get these soon.

Marrantz 4300 CD player / 5 disc

Marrantz 5600 or HK 3480 from HK direct on ebay refurb maybe but we will see.

I just want the sound you whould get at a theatre when the action happens and you can hear the bass and clean rich sounds with the fullness. I also listen to alot of music when im at home so that has to be taken into account aswell. I listen to alot of RAP and Dance music.

Bronze Member

The woodlands

Post Number: 68
MO,

Hey! Do not get discouraged! You are making a great effort to put together a pretty decent system which often is not an easy thing to do.
Using a subwoofer for movies or Rap is not necessarily a bad thing and it doesn't mean that the Athenas are bad speakers eiher, many systems benefit from a Sub since it is designed to handle the very low frequencies.
If you get the HK I am sure that you will notice a big improvement from your Sony then in time if you can save some money you could consider to add a Power amp or even a couple of monoblocks to drive your fronts.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3805
I will probably go with the HK 3480 and see if it makes a big differance which im sure it will. You guys think this will be a goodsetup since i listen to music and movies.

I have the athena's hooked up to a sony home theatre reciever and i have it wired to the front speakers and removed the other 3 speakers out. I noticed that i dont get any vocal sounds but i hear the backround sounds while watching movies. I set it on a differant mode and the voices came thru but obviously that reciever is not intended for towers only.

I can imagine when i hook up the HK3480 it will come to life and really bring out all the detail and provide more bass then now in movies and music.

I can get a new one from a guy for $225 shipped.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4048
$225 shipped for the 3480 is an excellent deal, just make sure he's an authorized dealer so you'll have the benefit of the full HK warranty.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3806
He is not a authorized dealer but has 100% feedback and says he has the reciept of original purchase. Here is the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D9726799940%26&sspagename= STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT%26

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3814
Ok ed, i got the HK 3480 from HKdirect on ebay for $214.50 shipped to me. Its refurbised but comes with everything and is under warranty thru HK.

What do you think ?

I cant wait to hear how it sound with the Athena's when i play music and movies.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4050
I think you got a sweet deal, make sure you do a detailed post on how you like it with your Athenas.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3815
I definetly will.

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
let us know as soon as you get...I am anxious to hear what kind of condidition a refurbed unit is in aesthetic wise

Bronze Member

The woodlands

Post Number: 69
Uback,

I got one of those 3480 for the study about 10 months ago and I could not be happier, when I received it is was a 10 cosmetic wise and 10 performance. You could not ask more for a $200.00 receiver.

Later

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3821
Hey ED, what do you think about adding a subwoofer to the Athena F2.2's off that HK-3480.

I was thinking this for a great match:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=ATHASP4000

Gold Member

Post Number: 4065
I've heard some good things about it, esp. in a smallish/medium room...on the other hand, for an extra $100 you could get either the bigger Athena 6000 sub or a b-stock Hsu STF-1 (call hsuresearch.com directly).

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3839
The system is in my living room and i live in a townhouse. Its your average size living room for a townhouse. About 20 x 20 size with no doors or anything to block the bass or sound in.

What do you think ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4074
In that case I'd spring for this:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/549499051?v_c=Froogle

About the equivalent of the $600 Hsu STF-3, for 1/3 less for now ... hurry though, they've been sold out for months until very recently.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3845
http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=ATHASP4000

Im leaning more towards the matching athena subwoofer. Has great reviews. Either this or the bigger one. I wonder how it will sound with the athena f2.2 towers. Maybe i should listen to music and watch movies first to determine if i need a sub.

Once i save enough money in the future. I am going to buy a 5.1 or 6.1 reciever. SOmthing like a marrantz reciever and all athena audition speakers. That sounds like fun...

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3851
Hey Ed, I am looking to get a 5.1 or 6.1 reciever. Which one whould you recommend thats under $400 ?

I was thinking the Marantz 5400 for the price out of the 5xxx series and just go all Athena Audition for the rest.

How will this sound with music since its a home theatre av reciever ?

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3852
Also for the HT reciever choice :

Harman Kardon or Marantz ?

Marantz 5400 vs. ?

Bronze Member
Username: Gheim304

Manhattan, KS USA

Post Number: 37
MO,

If you're still looking at that Athena Sub, I just bought it and am very pleased with it for both music and HT use. Make sure you like down-firing subs, or else have no preference. It's a very good bang for the buck. Fills the room/house with bass. Have had it for a week and a half and it sounds better every day. Definately a good purchase for the price in my honest opinion. Physically it is bigger than I thought it would be, but I didn't really read the specs on it, just used the pictures for my judgement. Looks real nice as far as style, and has an easy to use sub volume on the front. Sounds like it would be a good sub for your townhouse living room.

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
Marantz 5600 vs. NAD 743 or 753 (If you want to spend the extra money)
Marantz 5600 vs H/K 240 or 340

I like the NAD tone a bit better than everything else out there for the money...

If money were no object, then I would look at the Arcam stuff

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
Spearitsound.com has refurbed NAD 743's for $499 inclusive of shipping. I would highly recommend finding a dealer and checking one out....I think you will be blown away by the sound quality IMO

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3853
Garrett, thanks im going to probably get the Athena Subwoofer. Which model do you have ?

Thanks Uback, i am considering the Marrantz 5400 right now for the great price at accessories4less.com

Bronze Member
Username: Gheim304

Manhattan, KS USA

Post Number: 38
I have the AS-P4000 that you were talking about

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3854
Sweet, thats the one im planning to get. I have to get a 6.1 reciever first.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us