CD-->Sub-->Amp--Speaker..... Possible?

Silver Member
Username: Bvan

Cape Town, Copenhagen,...

Post Number: 205
i'm wondering if the above hookup is feasable? or is the cd-->sub signal to high? or anything else i might be missing.

I'm envisiging a subwoofer with rca/line level inputs, and having high-pass filtered rca/line-level outputs.

my aim is to provide bass management and relieve my main speakers of sub 80hz signal.

amp is an integrated, without even pre-outs.

the amp doesnt have a remote controll, so i'm hoping if the above setup is doable, and the sub has a remote, then i wont have to get off the couch as often as i do.

cheers

b

Silver Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 162
Nope! The simplest way is to get an AV receiver (either 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 receiver will do). Then you'll need to connect the subwoofer to the subwoofer out on the receiver and other speakers to the speaker terminals on the receiver. Run the speaker setup on the receiver for bass management. Many receivers have the crossover setting at much higher than 80Hz (100Hz and 120Hz are very common) so you'll need to choose 1 that has the crossover at 80Hz or whatever you want.

Silver Member

Post Number: 206
thanks for the reply kevin.

i'm curious, how come its not possible?

i might buy a cheap receiver for movies, and run the high-passed pre-outs to the integrated amp. will take some load of the int. amp.

alas, i'm not going to part with the new tube amp. so i guess with music they'll always be running the speakers as large. no trainsmash, though it would have been nice to have some options.

b

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8464

"I'm envisiging a subwoofer with rca/line level inputs, and having high-pass filtered rca/line-level outputs."

Where are you going to get this beast? Most subs have a speaker level output, but it is fairly infrequent that you will find one with a line level output. The cost of subs or plate amplifiers with this capacity would typically be higher than buying a receiver. Do you have a particular sub in mind which possesses this magical output?

After you have the signal out of this imaginary subwoofer, where do you run it into your integrated amplifier? What input on the amplifier allows you to adjust the volume of the main speakers at the same level as the volume of the sub which isn't using the same remote? Where is volume for the system controlled?

Silver Member

Post Number: 207
"Where are you going to get this beast" -

i'm still looking around. i know of a few subs with line level outputs, and a few with speaker, but more non of these have made my short list yet.

I was hoping to use use the volume controll on the sub exclusively. with the subs line level outs connected to the cd or aux in on the amp. if i level match with the amps volume controll, then use only the sub to controll the systems volume, would this not work? or is the gain on the subs line-out independent of the gain on the sub itself? i guess this is the issue.

cheers

b

Silver Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 164
Some subs have line level out for go-thru signal which means this signal is unprocessed (not filtered) to connect addtional subwoofer if you wish. This output signal is unaffected by the level control or X-over control on the sub. BTW, two of my subwoofers have this output jacks and as Jan said above, they're more expensive models.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8471

The remote is designed to adjust the level of the sub'so utput relative to the main speakers. This allows you to add some bass for those moments when intergalactic thermonuclear implosions just don't sound quite right. This means the line level outputs are unaffected by the sub's internal volume control and both the main speakers and the sub are adjusted relative to one another by the pre amp/processor's master volume control. Otherwise you couldn't adjust the sub relative to the mains. Time to rethink this plan.

Silver Member

Post Number: 208
got it. thanks.

new plan might be to set the speakers to small on my universal player, and then attach sub strait to universal players sub-out. means i have to set volume on amp and sub each time i change volume, but seeing as i usually listen at only 2 or 3 specific volumes, this shouldnt be too much of a pain to do if i have these 3 points marked on both volume dials.

b

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2592
New Plan 9 from Outer Space.

I'm rooting for you Bvan.
Keep us posted!

Skol!

Silver Member

Post Number: 210
where there's a will there's always a way...

skol!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8472

Where there's a will, there's a dead relative.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2593
Keep in mind, where there is a will, there is a bill.

Username: Flyguy

Post Number: 1
hi, following from before? is the only way to control the volume of a "non remote controlled sub" is to run it thru an AV receiver? other than physically going to the sub and turn up or down the volume.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8681
Pretty much.

You could always "Elvis" the sub with a .38 caliber revolver. That however, negates any further volume adjustments.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1596
Now that's funny.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2987
How very strange.
One of the displays at Graceland last month had the King's nightstand with the handgun on it and the tv set, rendered inoperative, due to one bullet hole.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8682
What?! You think I just make this crap up?

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1598
Nuck, did you mean that you thought it was strange that they would highlight that aspect of his life?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3001
Well, I suppose. I thought it odd that I just saw that actually.
You should see the one set of stairs in the house. I almost got into it with a real Elvis fan over my wisecrack over that one, LOL!

No subs in the place, though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us