Marantz 8500 or something else?

Username: Werbach

San Francisco, CA

Post Number: 1
Hello -- I'm about to pull the trigger and buy the Marantz 8500 -- it's $899 refurbished at audiophile4 less. Does anyone have one and like it? I like the fact that it has HDMI.

Does anyone know of any less expensive receivers (in the $600 range) that are equal or better than that marantz? Thanks!

Username: Seanm

Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires Argentina

Post Number: 3
yes, keep looking, you can get NAD, Pioneer, Onkyo and Denon for less price with HDMI.

Bronze Member
Username: Sackohammers

Post Number: 16
Harman Kardon 635 refurbished from factory direct with 2 year warranty for about 450-500. You can get it new shipped for 600, try J&R and 6Ave.com.
No HDMI. If you want HDMI you can wait for the 640 to come out, but the pricing will be much higher for the new model.
Lot of articles out there haggling over whether HDMI is worth it or not right now.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Here is some of what I have been learning about HDMI.
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22491

San Francisco, CA

Post Number: 3
Is there a model of NAD that you'd recommend?

As for the HDMI, it seems like I should go with it since there's a chance that without it my receiver will be obsolete.

Any recommendations on front speakers and subwoofer?
I have a budget of $650 for both and small would be nice. I have a built in set of Cambridge Audio 60's ceiling speakers in the rear of my living room.

Bronze Member
Username: Aspis

Post Number: 13
I thought the SR8500 has only DVI. It doesn't have HDMI.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 998
Adam I would not put the Pioneers, Onkyo, HK and most Denon's on the same line with that Marantz. You can argue about the value of the HDMI, but in terms of SQ and sheer power to the speakers none of their models in this price range will match with that Marantz.

You can probably get better SQ with some of the higher NAD lines, but the T models have had such a terrible record with their build quality. Based on a lot of comments on this board (which you can check on earlier threads) they seem to have manufaturing problems that leads to total system failure.

Is that a good price for a refurbished? It's hard to tell since there seem to be only a few places that carry the 8500's refurbished. The only other place where you are likely to find this seems to have the same price

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?&category=AVReceiver&start= 15

I wonder if this site is what you meant.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I am also looking for a receiver with HDMI around the same price range. The Denon 2807 has HDMI ports. Does anyone know where I can get it for cheap? Someone said that It's sold for $750 shipped. Is that true?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Stof,
Does the SR8500 has HDMI ports or DVI?

Silver Member
Username: Dfantom32

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 102
I have SR8500...there is no HDMI ports, only DVI port.

Now from my experience with this receiver is absolutely great and can handle my Dynaudio Audience 72SE very well. In music & HT mode this receiver is great. But that is my personal preference so you need to test it with your speaker if its a good combination.

Good Luck!

San Francisco, CA

Post Number: 4
Yeah, that was the refurbished site I was looking for. I like that the SR8500 has HDMI and other good features. If anyone knows anything that should stop me getting the Marantz, please let me know.

I saw a bunch of posts on the Outlaw -- is that another good option?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1001
You can look at Outlaw and Rotel to compare with this line of Marantz.

Bronze Member
Username: Jorge59

Rio de JaneiroBrasil

Post Number: 83
Adam

Please remember that the receiver will sound better or worse depending on which speakers you match it with and your auditive taste, of course.

Marantz has a warmer sound, so, make sure you don't use warm speakers, unless you hate brighter highs and bells and whistles...

San Francisco, CA

Post Number: 5
do you have any speaker suggestions? I need a center channel speaker, bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer . I'd like the center channel speaker to be as flat as possible. My budget for these speakers is $1100

Bronze Member

Rio de JaneiroBrasil

Post Number: 84
I like B&W.

Check this slim speaker that works as mains (vertically) and center (horizontally): http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.models/Label/Model%20VM1

For the sub, you can't go wrong with HSU (cheaper stf-1 or stf-2)or SVS.

Silver Member

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 106
Sorry to badge in here guys but I want to ask Jorge about the terms that he use like "warm", "bright", "bells and whistles"...what do you mean by that? Maybe you can show me where to go to get those definitions.

Thanks!

:-):-):-)

Bronze Member

Rio de JaneiroBrasil

Post Number: 85
Well Adrian,

First of all, sound is subjective, and perceptions are hard to define accurately. For more technical definitions ask the experts in this forum. There are many qualified gold members.

Secondly, I'm not a native English speaker, so forgive me if there is any vocabulary mistake.

If you're a "frequent flier" in forums like this, you must have already learned that, since this a common indicator used to describe types of sound.

So, I guess you already know the answer, what makes the question....weird.

Anyway, to my understanding, "warm" sound is something "soft", that does not stress the higher frequencies, as opposed to "bright" which emphasizes the highs and might give the impression of something more "open". Some people would even find it "harsh", depending on the equipment/recording and ear preferences. Bells and whistles, of course, are on the higher part of the spectrum.

Just to make it clear, I have both a warm Marantz and a bright Yamaha...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1033
I think you can also compare bright to revealing. A bright receiver can be quite unforgiving on a bad recording whereas a warm receiver can hid a lot of imperfection and make it easier to listen to.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
Hello Jorge.
Bells and Whistles. Interesting, logical interpretation, but not the intended meaning.
The phrase Bells and Whistles is commonly used to express the relative number of features something has.
For example, you might say that car has a lot of bells and whistles. Meaning, it has power locks, power windows, cruise control, great sound system, radar detector, phone built into the steering wheel, GPS, etc etc etc.

Basically, it means something has a lot of added features and toys.
A bicycle with bells and whistles is more fun than a bicycle without them.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2694
and a hockey card in the spokes!

Bronze Member
Username: Darth

The woodlands

Post Number: 72
Hey Nuck,
so, are supporting the Oilers now? :-)

Silver Member

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 107
Jorge,

Thanks for your explaination on this. I do learn a lot from this forum and still getting more info.

:-):-):-)

Anyway, at least I pick up more info from you guys here specially on Bell & Whistles defintion.

Your good Nuck!!! hehehe :-):-):-)

Bronze Member
Username: Fatelvis

Post Number: 36
Best example of "warm" being desireable... even the "harsh" Beatles CD's sound killer on an Arcam A65+. Warm is usually good.... though this is taken to an extreme on Arcams AVR100/200, which is too murky/dark for it's own good.

JW

Bronze Member
Username: Soundideas

Post Number: 94
You can get a new Marantz sr8500 for only $829 over at www.amsound2.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us