Question about Passive Bose Subwoofer, Please Help

Username: Eddie55

Post Number: 2
Hello all I am trying to setup a 5.1 channel system in my room and hook it up to my computer.

Components

Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 310
Speakers: Bose Acoustimass 10 Series II Home Theater Speaker System (All speakers connect to the subwoofer and then the subwoofer connects to the receiver I think this is called a Passive Subwoofer)
Sound Card: Audigy 2 ZS Gamer Edition (Set to 5.1 analog)
Cables: I am using 3 1/8 inch (3.5 mm) to 2 rca from my soundcard to the back of my receiver where it says 6 channel analog input

Problem: When I run the speaker test from my Audigy 2 I get all the channels correctly minus my center. When my center speaker is supposed to sound the subwoofer sounds instead saying what the center is supposed to say. When iti½s my subwoofers turn to sound it sounds fine.

Things I have tried: I tried to switch out the speaker with a known working speaker. I tried looking at the cables to verify everything is working fine. I tried flipping the 2 rca cables in the 6 channel direct input in the receiver. I tried banging head against keyboard. I tried the RECEIVER's sound test and the center worked fine.

Possible Reason: I think this is because I have a passive subwoofer and I think there is no fixing this problem unless...

Solution: Is it possible to just hook up all the Bose speakers directly to my Receiver and just buy a new subwoofer? Or will this damage my speakers and or receiver?

I tried to be as thorough as possible if you have any questions or are confused about anything just ask please.

Thanks in Advance
Eddie

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 925
You can, however, the crossver/EQ circuits for the satellites are in the bass module. If you add a powered subwoofer you'll need to have the XO on your receiver set at it's highest point. I won't vouch for sound quality. It won't hurt anything if you keep the volume level down. I'm going to guess that others will suggest selling the system and getting something else. Just a guess.

Gold Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 1146
can I ask why you purchased the Bose?

Username: Eddie55

Post Number: 3
Thank you for the suggestion Timn8ter i will try and decipher what you said and reply when it makes more sense to me because i am kinda new to the AV scene.

Gavin ... thank you for answering my question with an irrelevant question... if you must know... i was 16 and it was my b day present like 5 years ago... im sorry i wasnt all knowing about speakers and purchased the bose instead of something like the athena TECHNOLOGIES Micra 6... its all the guy at circuit city had... if you reply with a valid reason that you asked me that question and not to mock my decision on the speakers i will gladly apologize...
Eddie

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 999
Eddie as tim suggested you can try it with a powered sub, but it will be hard to match the crossover since you have no specs on that Bose. I actually have a non-matching BA passive sub connected to a set of Aperion satllite speakers (the original BA speakers were also Satellites) for my 2 channel set for the bedroom. Amazingly it seems to work perfectly fine. No one has been able to tell that they are mismatched.

You can try a new sub and see how it works. Just make sure you have a good return policy.

Gold Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 1150
it was just a question and you replied with a smartass answer. It was simply on the basis that many people uneducated in the world of audio reproduction think that bose is one of the best brands you can purchase, clearly it isnt.

I had no intention to mock your purchase. But I can tell by your response that you have quite a bit of maturing to do if you can't take someone telling you your speakers are $hit.

I myself have magnepans, which some feel are some of the finest speakers in the world, reguardless of price. Play heavy metal on them and see how good they sound. If you are a metal fan you would think my speakers sound like $hit.

sound is all in the ear of the beholder, but it is a widely known fact in forums and among the pros that Bose are not one of the better brands by a wide margin. If you like them, thats great, not going to mock you for it!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us