Marantz SR-7500 vs SR-5600

Username: Sackohammers

Post Number: 5
I am having a hard time finding online editorial or customer reviews of these two recievers.

I've found the 7500 for about $790 shipped and the 5600 for about $500 shipped. So, we're talking about $300 difference.

The 5600 has HDCD decoder while the 7500 does not. What is that and how is that important?

Both of them meet my current input requirements.

The 7500 is THX certified while the 5600 is not. I'm only going with a 5.1 setup.

Also, with a roughtly $1,300 budget on speakers, (maybe ascendacoustic)am I going to notice a big difference? Medium sized room.

Its been hard for me to find information about Marantz and maybe thats why I was leaning toward Denon 2807 and HK 635.

Also with these two Marantz models.
Can I set different levels for different inputs?
Can I rename inputs?
Remotes? I guess the 7500 has an LCD while the 5600 is a more simplistic remote.

I would love some help from you guys because I'm having a hard time getting good info on these Marantz products.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4000
HDCD = it can give you full resolution on high definition CDs. There are not that many HDCDs around to begin with, and the difference with full resolution is relatively subtle, IMO.

THX Cert = fairly meaningless marketing label whose main function is to put more money in George Lucas' already bulging pockets. Lots of top-quality gear is not THX Certified.

Rather than spend an extra $300 on the sr7500, I'd buy the sr5600 and spend an extra $500 to add a 2-channel amp to power your mains...THAT will provide the most noticeable difference over all these bells and whistles.

http://www.spearitsound.com/nad/c272.asp

Post Number: 6
Great, thank you very much.

Bronze Member
Username: Jorge59

Rio de JaneiroBrasil

Post Number: 82
Hammers,

I own Marantz receiver and Ascend speakers. Both are great brands and deliver excellent SQ. However, to my ears, this is NOT the best match.

Marantz is usually warm (I never heard such models, mine is a 8400) and Ascends are very neutral. The result seems a little "dry" or "insipid" to me.

Depending on your use (HT, music etc) and ear preferences, you might like something "livier" than that combination.

Since you seem to have made up your mind on Marantz receivers, I suggest you try to audition them with B&W speakers. The 600 line should please you well (for small rooms the cheaper DM-600 is a killer, even for fronts).

Post Number: 10
That is the problem, I cannot find a place to audition the Marantz.
From what I've learned in this thread and other research since posting it, I would be fine with the 5600 for my application... although different speakers would likely be in order.

At this point I might have to lean towards the HK, just because I already know I like how it sounds.

Bronze Member
Username: Bigpoppaphile

SAINT CLOUD, MN United States

Post Number: 20
Don't forget to check out www.accessories4less.com. They had the 5600 as a authorized refurb for below 500 and it still comes with a marantz factory warranty. you can save a little more money for the seperate amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us