Bookshelf's for NAD C-372 integrated amp

Username: Nsanghani

Post Number: 10
I would highly appreciate suggestions from audiophiles regarding good book shelf speakers with my NAD C372 integrated amplifier. The idea is to only have these as my front speakers.

This is for pure audio listening and not home theater. I would prefer to buy within $1600.

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2567
NS, on advice from other members, you might consider Paradigm Studio 20 v3's.
A little more information might help, as to listening preferences and room size.

You might add Alegria Emma speakers to the list, and Dynaudio speakers have had a lot of good press lately.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3991
I second the Emmas rec...

Polk LSi9s would be worth a listen too.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I have attached a .jpg file showig the room layout. I have hardwood floors and the bookshelf speakers will be placed as shown in the picture.

Thanks
NeerajUpload

Gold Member

Post Number: 2571
Ns, if you are liking the wood floors, and do not want a throw rug, the options change a bit.
The return from the left front is going to be hard, the room has a lack of balance.

Can you move the setup to be more balanced on the 14' wall?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2572
Nice figurature of the stove, BTW.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Nuck,
We have given a lot of thought to that and what you suggested has always been my first preference. The sitting arrangement in the living room does not work well if I move the speakers to the 14" wall !

I am open to having a rug (6'x 5') if that helps. Where do you suggest I place it?

Neeraj

Gold Member

Post Number: 2576
NS, your have to give a nod to rear clearance as well, depending on port location and expectations.
An arrangement along the end wall would even things out a lot, but the 'tunnel' might bring out a lot of boominess, meaning the speakers would be better off further out from the rear wall.
It's a trade off man.
From my free seat here in Canada, anyhow.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I can get the speakers 6" further out from the wall dividing the kitchen and living room. I agree with the trade-off, something that has been my concern even before we bought this place. But hey can't get everything ! Now need to figure out the right speakers - I was hoping to hear the following 3:
1. Paradigm Studio 20 v3.0
2. B&W 705
3. Dynaudio (don't know which model)

Any suggestions, comments?

Neeraj

Gold Member

Post Number: 2577
Nice selection, NS.
The Dyns might be the 140's, a long thread on them in here, check it out!
The Paradigms are a personal fav of Art here, and he knows.Friend of mine.

The B&w's are are sticking point for me, because I want a pair meself.
I really think the 7 series wants more power that you might apply.
I am not going to use the current Rotel 985 amp with the 8 series I am hoping for, I bet if you hear a bigger Nad amp you will like the 7 series even better.
If you can, of course.
And, of course, more is always better.
The B&W love, adore power.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3993
NS,

one thing to consider is that rear ported speakers, especially the Alegria Emma, need a healthy amount of distance from the wall behind them to avoid boominess --- a good 3 feet for the Emmas, IMO.

So if you are a little cramped for space then a front ported or sealed design might be a better idea.

I like the Polks for your room due their lush warm sound which will do nicely with the hardwood floors sans rug, plus having a slightly "tunnelled" soundstage should create fewer reflections if you go with your original furniture placement (which I would find more natural and better feng shui, if I understand your drawing correctly).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I will look into Polk LSi9s too if I get a place to audition. I liked the paradigm 20's when I heard them about a year ago. Not sure if my room dynamics will suit them. Probably Art can comment on that.

Nuck you think the NAC C372 (2 x 150W Minimum Continuous Power into 4/8 ohms; 220W, 340W, 460W IHF Dynamic Power into 8, 4 and 2 ohms, respectively) would not be sufficient for the B&W 705s?

Gold Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 1124
if you can up your budget by $300 (to $1900), I would VERY VERY VERY (read...these speakers are world class) strongly take a look at the Paradigm Signature S2. It is an amazing performer, with treble that is reach out and touch it, without being "Im the tweeter. this is what I do." The mids place the performance right in the room with you, highlighted by those wonderful highs. Ths bass is good down to about 40-45Hz, and will possibly let you get away without a sub.

You truly have to hear these speakers to beleive them, even if it is to just sit down and listen to them and not to purchase them. However, I think if you can audition these MARVELOUS speakers, you would find a way to stretch your budget, or locate a used pair. They are that good.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3997
Tweeter carries the LSi9s.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1284
NS -
The 372 should have no problem driving the B&W 705s. I haven't heard that particular combination, so I can't say how well they sound together, although I assume it should be very good.

NAD rates their power conservatively. More often that not, they spec higher when an independant reviewer tests them than what the manufacturer claims. I've heard the 705s many times with Rotel amplification. Rotel seperates do a very respectable job driving them. While NAD sounds different, power wise they're very similar.

Bronze Member
Username: Firebook23

Post Number: 11
Try the PSB Platinum M2 monitor.
PSB and NAD are owned by the same company, so NAD is tested on PSB speakers

http://www.psbspeakers.com/product.php?pId=6&sId=1

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 16
I heard the B&W 705s today. Good speakers, but was not too impressed with their ability to handle low and mid bass.

The plan is to now hear Paradigm Studio 20 and Signature S2. Any suggestions on which Proac bookshelf speakers compare to the ones mentioned above?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3183
Proac 110's.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4243
NS,

did you have a chance to listen to the LSi9s?

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 496
For pure 2 channel listening in a bookshelf speaker- I'd offer up the Merlin VSM used on audiogon within your budget as well as the Green Montain Callisto.

Both are super duper aidiophile offerings. The merlins do better with space I note- but even sub-optimally placed would take a listener to places the Polk and Paradigm lines simply can't travel. ( I own some paradigm stuff and have auditioned Paradigms and Polks more times than I can count).

Watch your power matchups witheither green mountain and merlins would be my only caveat.

Happy listening.

Silver Member

Post Number: 497
I meant the Merlin TSMs, not the vsms; sorry about that.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 17
I have not yet got a chance to listen to LSi9s. I will look up the dealer and listen to them sometime soon.

Haven't heard about the Merlin TSMs. Another company to look up.

Thanks

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 19
The Merlin TSMs seem to be quite expensive:
TSM-MX - $3800
TSM-MM - $2800

Silver Member

Post Number: 499
Look for them used on audiogon;same with Green Mountain. But more importantly, try and audition them; just so you know what they sound like. No sense spending money on something you havent heard.

My real opinion is that if you are going 1600 for a pair; thats getting into some money so you might as well go for some really good stuff.

If not, then at least be sure your 1600 dollar choice is preferred by you over a pair of AScend 340 SEs at 550 or whatever they cost-- you might be surpirsed at what 1600 bucks doesnt get you!

PS- I thought the B& W 705s were fairly decent, and preferred them over the larger 704s and 703s actually, extension aside.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 20
I plan to spend some time with B&W dealer this Thursday. The difference I found between the 705s and 803's (obviously other than the huge price difference) is that the 803s were very tight in their lower and mid bass as compared to 705s. The intention now is to compare similar bookshelf's, rather than comparing these with expensive floorstanding models.

Any thoughts if the 705s would perform tighter with subwoofers?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3198
Hi NS.
I have spent some time with B&W's lately.

Do you feel that the 803's require no bass augmentation at all?
That would be a guide towards a sub.
Why did you skip[ over the 805's?
Those 805, have fantastic presentation and very good dispersion in a good looking(if you like it) package, I think.

For iether small speaker, I might look into REL sealed subs, 8", probably. The 8" suggestion goes with your bass conclusions from the 803's.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 21
Yeah I do plan to look at 805s. It just happened that he had the 705s and 803s readily available for playing.

The 803s are really expensive (~$5000/pair). I felt that 803s had good bass and do not need bass augmentation unless the type of music preference creates a need. I am looking forward to hear the 705s again with sub woofer and 805s (705s are ~1400 and 805s are ~$2300).

Thanks for the sub recommendation.

Neeraj

Bronze Member
Username: Bbb34

Post Number: 12
IMO both, 805s and 803s are great sounding, but in case of 803, you've moved quite a bit from your original search for good bookshelf to very expensive and again, IMO great sounding (and looking) floorstander. I really think that driving 803s with your NAD is not something you should do, as you would spend lots of money for great speaker and wouldn't get the best they have to offer.

With 805s, you'll get away with NAD, but your next upgrade will be better amplifier for sure.

I'm not so sure that 805s are what you're looking for, since you didn't like 705s bass, there is not a world of difference between these two when it comes to bass. To my ears, 805s sounded better "integrated" speaker with much better/sweeter sounding mids, but bass wasn't that much different.

Just my two cents of course, good luck in your search, and make sure you take your time.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 22
Thanks for the insight into 805s. Would you recommend that I hear the 705s again with sub-woofers?

I am curious to know any further thoughts you have on the NAD C-372 integrated amp. My assumption is that it is highly powered and quite well known. Any recommendations on what AMPs would do a good job of driving the bookshelf's?

Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Bbb34

Post Number: 13
I believe your NAD is OK amp. and will most likely do decent job with 805s. There are amps. that would probably do better job, but there is always better component out there somewhere.

What you are saying about NAD is true, they are well known and their power is rated conservatively.

My comment had to do with you possibly trying to drive 803s with this amp.
I had a chance of auditioning both, 804s and 803s with Rotel integrated (can't remember the model), rotel pre/power combo, then classe integrated and classe pre/power combo and can tell you that better amp(s), classe in this case made huge difference with these speakers.

Somebody on this thread before me mentioned that 705s sounded fine, and I agree with this, I didn't find them lacking bass, and unforunatelly cannot give you any advice on sub since I never tried adding sub to any two channell setup I auditioned/owned.

Another bookshelf speaker that you might want to check out is Revel Concerta M12, bass on these in impressive for bookshelf, which is what you seem to be after. These retail for under $700 in US and are pretty good value for the money. IMO they are not as refined as 805s when it comes to soundstaging and few other details but are 1/3 of the price. Also I heard that Revel Performa M22s are incredible, although haven't auditioned these myself, but these are in the price range of 805s I think.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 23
I guess it would not be a bad idea to spend some time with 705s. I have only heard them for 10 minutes and plan to hear at length in a couple of days. As mentioned earlier in the thread the other speakers planned to be auditioned are:
1. Proac Studio 110
2. Paradigm Studio 20
3. Paradigm Signature S2

Possibly audition Polk Lsi9.

Though I am not aware of the price range of these speakers.

Bronze Member

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 24
Finally got a chance to audition a few speakers and here are my first thoughts
1. B&W 705: Overall good speakers, Great midrange, good high freq and average low freq reproduction (sufficient bass, but not the best quality)
2. Dynaudio Focus 110: I found them overall as good as B&W 705. Better bass reproduction, euually good high speakers, 95% as good midrange
3. Paradigm Studio 20: Decent overall speakers, but not as good compared to the other two.
4. Dynaudio Focus 140: A bit more expensive. Plays not much different in my room. Though overall I found 110 more natural than 140.

I am leaning towards Dynaudio focus 110. Would really like to hear your comments.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us