Need Help: Receiver purchase decision

Username: Sackohammers

Post Number: 1
Feel free to ask followup questions and I'll answer best as I can. I'm a newb.

Looking for a mostly HT solution. 75% HT and %25 music (girlfriend's iPod).

Devices
Out - Television - Component Video (2-3 years upgrade to HDMI or whatever is current at that time)

In - S-vid + Composit Audio - Cable Box
In - Composit - VCR
In - DVD - Not yet Purchased. Either HDMI or Component
In - PS2 - Composit for now, maybe upgrade to component but only if input is -freely- available
In - iPod - Composit is OK for now.

Speakers. Don't have them right now. Have an immediate need for Receiver and will get speakers as I can afford them in the next 2-3 months. Right now the girlfriend dug up some Bose 401 3-way 4ohm speakers CIRCA 1987. Will use these for fronts for now.
When it comes time, I would be happy to budget roughly $1,000 - $1,200 for 5.1 speakers+Sub.

Been agonizing over what to get. Initially I set a budget of $500 but it was fairly arbitrary. I see now that there may be benefit to going to $700 or so. Evidently that is the sweetspot for mid level?

Have looked at and considered Denon, Pioneer, Onkyo, JVC, Yamaha, HK. Did some reading here and learned just a tad about NAD, Marantz, Outlaw.

For me, I'm not an extreme audiophile and I haven't had a high end system to compare it too, so I won't be -disappointed- if I don't have the most awesome system on the block. But, I want to get something good... but maybe I don't need a Marantz/NAD/Outlaw if it means higher (unrealized?) sound quality at the expense of features that I might find more interesting.

I don't need XM and THX isn't something I probably really need... especially since I plan to only go 5.1+sub for awhile. HDMI switching sounds nice but do I really need it? For now I'll probably just have the HDMI DVD player. Would I see a huge loss if I went Component DVD? and didn't get an HDMI receiver now? I probably will not get an HDMI TV for another 2-3 years, but when I do, it'll be a very nice, large plasma HDTV.

Constructive criticism is welcome and direct recommendations appreciated. Even if you have to qualify the Receiver recommendation by grouping with a speaker configuration.

Thank you for your time in advance

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3985
75% HT + 25% iPod music = $500 is plenty for your receiver.

$600 max for the HK 635 would be the most I'd bother spending...tons of features AND excellent sound quality for HT *and* music. However if you are pretty sure that you'll be upgrading the receiver in a few years for all the new formats coming out, you could do fine with a less expensive digital switching receiver --- the Pioneer Elite ex-500 receiver/universal-player bundle comes to mind, $260 shipped from hookedontronics.com

Ultimately it's the speakers and sub which will make the biggest difference with a $2,000 setup.

This is what I'd get for the speakers/sub:

2 pairs CBM-170SE bookshelf speakers, 1 CMT-340center, 1 Hsu STF-2 sub = $1373 shipped from ascendacoustics.com

Google them up for reviews, post on their users forums to see if there's a local owner who'll let you come listen.

Post Number: 2
Thank you kindly for the input. Right now I don't plan on upgrading the Receiver in a few years. I want to get something that will last me 6-7 years... as opposed to getting lower end gear and turning it around every 2-3 years.

Here is what I have been considering.

Denon 2807 (Is it true I can upgrade this to HDMI 1.3 by flashing the H/W when it becomes available? or is that salesperson hogwash?). Don't know why, but right now I'm arbitrarily leaning towards this unit.
Price: $740 shipped

JVC RX-D702B Looks interesting, has a lot of features, farouja, wireless to PC, easy setup, buncha stuff. Not such good things on CNET reviews about support, but everyone has bad apples. Can't find anywhere to listen to one of these and don't know about amp quality.
Price: $600 shipped

Onkyo TX-SR803B This looks interesting. First looked at the 603B but this seems a bit better.
Price: $740 shipped

Onkyo TX-SR703B
Price: $537 shipped Might be more reasonable - save the $200 for speakers

Harmon Kardon 635 Per Edster's recommendation
Price: $600 shipped

Marantz Considered the 5600 and the 7500, but still can't get HDMI at the 7500 level. Is the quality of this amp worth it? Am I going to notice it with a $1,300-$1,400 speaker setup?

Pioneer I've done the least ammt of research here. Certainly haven't found a place where I can listen to them. Their website has been sucking majorly lately so I can't read up on them there to get the "company line".
VSX-9300TX $715 shipped
VSX-52TX $550 shipped
VSX-1015TX $400 shipped

I don't know much about NAD or Outlaw although I've been trying to read up on these boards.

If I go a bit over $2000 its not going to break me. So if I go to $700 on a receiver, I won't let that eat into my speaker money.

I picked up this month's copy of "The Perfect Vision" and it has an "A/V Receiver Roundup" feature that has taught me a few things.

The more advice the merrier guys, let me have it!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2562
Hammers, you have some good groundwork there.

It really seems that you are feature-oriented.
While a lot of features are useful, not all are, a lot of folks are not sold on HDMI as the format that will be adopted across the board.

Remember, everything is a trade-off, and money for features comes out of the power supply.

Since you listed the Onkyo's I would suggest that unless you love their features or looks, that would be the very last on the list.
They are gutless.
Most yamahas as well.
Count out the JVC.

The 5 names I rhyme off might be familiar.
Rotel, Nad. outlaw, H/K and Marantz.

These should last a long time.

Eddie's H/K suggestion is a very good one.

Post Number: 3
Outlaw's Receiver is priced at $899 and thats over my budget.

The only NAD that I can see in my range is the T743 at around $600. This will do 5 channels but seems to be a fairly basic model? Or am I off base here?

The two Marantz that fit in my price range are the
SR7500: $789 shipped
SR5600: $506 shipped
The 5600 has HDCD decoder while the 7500 does not. That important? Also, with 7500 am I just paying more for THX? Not sure I really need that.

H/K 635. I just wish these receivers didn't look ugly as sin. And the volumn knob has a cheap flimsy feel. Other than that, it looks like a solid choice.

So I feel like I've been steered away from my previous favorite
Denon 2807 : $740 shipped

to one of these

Marantz SR-7500 : $789 shipped from Authorized Electronics?
Marantz SR-5600: $500 shipped from MyDigitalUniverse
Harmon Kardon AVR 635: $600 shipped

Can you guys give me some compelling arguments for these over a Pioneer Elite or the Denon 2807.
The 2807 seems to be the only one with HDMI.

Also, what about upconverts on the H/K and Marantz models? The Denon does upconvert from Composit and S-video to Component. It also does Analog to HDMI.
Right now, I have zero HDMI, but planned on getting some in the future (DVD player and TV). Is it really going to be required? Will I really notice a difference over Component?

Post Number: 4
Have done more reading... my eyes are fading and my girlfriend is wondering WTF I'm doing spending all day doing this.

I've narrowed it down a bit more.

Marantz 5600/7500
HK 635
Denon 2807

Still haven't crossed off the Denon until someone can tell me why.

Ok, between the Marantz and the HK, what looks better? I know my girlfriend will tell me the Marantz looks better visually and we think the HK looks silly.

HK and Marantz both seem to handle upconverts from Composit and S-video fine. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Are both truthfully going to deliver the promised wattage on all channels?

What about setting individual levels for inputs?

Renaming inputs?

Reviews say the HK handles going to 5.1 well. What about the Marantz?

Reviews also place the HK Remote at being much better than Marantz.

Love to hear some more input from you guys hiding.

The HK with the Ascend Accoustics the best speaker matchup for the budget I gave? What other options? Athena? I also hate to ask, but what about wireless speakers? Wiring my rears is going to be a fairly serious problem. Wireless speakers are not powered by RF though right? I'd still have to run power? ... and I'd lose quality?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2568
Hammers, I really havn't given the aesthtic qualities of the parts a lot of thought.

I went down and had a look at my stuff.

I like the sound, but it really is Russian utilitarian ugly.
(Rotel and H/K)

If the look is important(why would it not be?), Marantz has a very good look, and the nuts to back it up.

The 5600 will not let you down.
I have a soft spot for H/K(mine is 10, my BIL's 20), so obviously I have not bought one recently.

The THX, I never really payed attention to, before I bought one.
It means that the unit doesn't outright suck.

The remote for my H/K is extensive, and is still running original batteries.
Long lasting stuff!
But usury ugly, as you noticed.

I have pretty speakers, though.
I'm not gonna sleep now, thanks. hehe.

Username: Trazom

Post Number: 9
Hi Guys,

Very helpful posts. I have learned alot. I am trying to decide between the Marantz 7500 or 5600 or 5500 and the HK635, 630 or 435. I have some auditioning to do.

Post Number: 8
I'm bouncing between the HK 635 and the Marantz 5600.
I read through the HK635 manual today and that thing will do everything including flush your toilet and make your toast. Reading the manual and all the things you can do was almost enough to just make me click that buy button.

One thing holding me back on the Marantz is no opportunity to audition it. Nobody in Austin, TX seems to sell them. The nearest repair center is in Lubbock... that is several hundred miles. I did, however, get a response back from a marketing VP at Marantz. I asked about warrany for buying refurbs from Accessories4less.com and he verified they are an authorized reseller and Marantz will do a 1 year warranty on those.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4010
There are two authorized Marantz dealers in Houston that I know of where you could listen, if you ever feel like swinging down that way...dunno if it's any closer than Lubbock.

Bronze Member
Username: Darth

The woodlands

Post Number: 59
Why don't you try these guys? they might be able to assist you

http://www.avdesignsaustin.com/

Bronze Member

The woodlands

Post Number: 60
I just realized that they also carry the Pioneer Elite line which btw is rarely mentioned here but they are great receivers with very honest power ratings, if they are available at this place indeed you could audition both the P.E. and the Marantz. Just a though

Yes, lots of options out there, take your time and enjoy the process ! :-)

Bronze Member

The woodlands

Post Number: 61
Sorry I can not help it, as I kept browsing through this website I noticed that they have a show room with Marantz electronics driving Revel speakers! Man you have got to check this place out !

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Man, I'm going to have to go check it out!

Bronze Member
Username: Soundsgood

Post Number: 20
>> H/K 635. I just wish these receivers didn't look ugly as sin.

I feel EXACTLY the same way! :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Gmanchefboy

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 36
It's not ugly..............It's Unique!

A creative mix of mod/retro.

And the thing is a BEAST!

If your not opposed to a remanufactured unit, I just purchased an HK-635, $490 delivered, from Harman Audio. Looks brand new, but the plastic film for the display was not present so I'm assuming it played somewhere. It might take a couple of days of bidding to get a good price, but it can be done. Hell, last week a 7300 was won for $710+s/h.

And the thing is a BEAST!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4015
> Hell, last week a 7300 was won for $710+s/h.

Holy sh*t...Harman Audio got mugged!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1374
Hammers

The Denon 2807 is a fine machine. It's very capable indeed. I haven't compared it to the competition you mention and the NADs are not really in the same ballpark for surround capability (which is your 75%). Discard it at your own risk. Denon have done a great job in addressing the weaknesses of their older units (such as not coping too well with more difficult loads). They really are up there with the best. Sound-wise I prefer the Denons to the Pioneer units which I find a bit veiled and muddled.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Gdawg

Canada

Post Number: 120
Id personally recomend the Elite. I have the 59, and Im happy with it. I've got it running 7.1, and its got TONS of power, more than I need.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
I posted a response a few days ago but I guess it got eaten. I got the HK 635 and it is arriving Monday. I also went with the Ascend Accoustics speakers. I went full-boat on those. 340 mains, 340 center, 170 rears, HSu 300 watt sub.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
DVD player. Ok, now what do I get here. I hear a lot of talk about these things.
I play a lot of movies - main reason for my HT system. All different kinds of movies, indie, to action thriller.
I want to play DVD +r, -r, CD's, MP3's, everything. I was looking at the Marantz, but they don't do DVD +r and some of my movies are in that format... I -could- reburn them, but that would take hours and cost money for new labels and disks.
What about Harman Kardon players? It would match the HK 635 I just got. Would gladly like everyone's input. I'm not sure I want to spend more than 250-300, and it would be cool if it had a 5 disc changer. Seems like anything more expensive than that would be diminishing return.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8077
Check out the Pioneer DV-588AS

Gold Member

Post Number: 4028
Hammers,

congrats on the Ascend purchase, I think you'll be very pleased, do start a thread about them once you've listened to them for a few days.

I would second Berny's suggestion about the Pioneer 588, $130 shipped from vanns.com but would recommend adding the Marantz cc4300 as a separate dedicated CD player if you value music SQ---about $145 shipped from accessories4less.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Is this still a great DVD player or are there better in the price range? The first article, especially, seems to identify it being an excellent chipset for video. Unsure about sound.
You think its superior to the Pioneer or just wasted money?

http://www.denguru.com/2005/11/17/getting_what_you_don/

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=4941537&search=DVD-S97+

http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_DVD_S97S_DVD_player/4505-6463_7-31349565.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Panasonic DVD-S97S DVD Player
Is this still a great DVD player or are there better in the price range? The first article, especially, seems to identify it being an excellent chipset for video. Unsure about sound.
You think its superior to the Pioneer or just wasted money?

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=4941537&search=DVD-S97+

http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_DVD_S97S_DVD_player/4505-6463_7-31349565.html

Bronze Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 90
check out denon dvd-1920 bstock from dakmart. authorized dealer with warranty. $282 + shipping. Wonderful player for the price, will play w/e you throw at it. Very sturdy build quality, and sounds terrific imo. Don't chince out on the DVD player. You have put too much effort and research into building your system. BTW, nice choices for speaks and receiver. You will be extremely happy. when you set the thing up, make sure you get some knowledge on speaker placement so you get the most out of it. room treatments, etc.. your journey for great home theater sound doesn't end at the dvd player. It has just started, enjoy the experience!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4034
I don't think you'll see much of a difference in PQ between the Panasonic and Pioneer, unless you have some extremely high-resolution display. I personally don't see any significant difference between component and HDMI connections to be honest, and have heard mixed reviews about the PQ of upconverting DVD players.

Soundwise they'll be pretty similar too since for DVDs you'll be using a digital connection which means using the receiver's DAC.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
What do you think about all the mumbo-jumbo in this guy's article?

He goes into the Genesis chipset and smooth edges on reds. Also some macrocombing bug that they also fixed.

I plan to only purchase one player... for DVD and CDs. I don't have any "music only" DVDs. They call them DVD-A? I also don't have any SACD.
So, I am concerned about sound quality as well as video quality. As you pointed out, Ed. I think as long as I use a digital cable (coax or optical) to my receiver, I'll be using the receiver's DAC to convert audio. Some ppl refute and say that 5.1 and up receivers relax a little on stereo sound and I may get better performance on the DAC in my player. I won't know until I try it out and see... but I suspect the HK I picked out does well with stereo music.

As for Denon, I've heard some people ripping up on Denon. Of course if you look long enough, and read enough, you'll find that everything gets ripped on. Makes it hard for a newbie like me.

Its hard for me. What about all those players I see when I go to Best Buy. The Phillips and the LG look sexy...but since I picked the ugliest receiver in the world I've already proven to myself that aesthetics are secondary. But all those players are around $100 bucks. They have all the outputs including HDMI, they play all the formats, and most say they do 1080i. So how the heck do I know which ones will give an excellent picture and play CDs in a quality manner?

Thanks for the encouragement Jeff and Ed. It helps.

BTW Jeff. GO SPARTY! MSU Alum 1998

Bronze Member

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 91
all the best buy dvd players you should stay away from imo and with experience. I've had reliability issues with 2 of their "top" end toshibas ($150 or thereabouts when purchased). Could not specify model numbers, but at that price point with the options the players give you, they chince out on something and imo that is build quality. You get what you pay for in most instances, especially at bestbuy. You may get a good picture or good sound, maybe even both, but if you go this route get the service plan. Overall, you just can't go wrong in my opinion with the denon 1910 or 1920 in this price range. Denon makes great dvd players period. I bought the 2910 after having 2 toshibas from best buy die on me, and couldn't be happier with the picture quality. I didn't however, notice any discernable difference with the sound.

GO GREEN GO WHITE

Bronze Member

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 92
o ya, i read that article and almost fell asleep. lots of mumbo jumbo like you said. technical jargon and why the pioneer elite sucks yada yada... farqwad processors and whatnot. just get a reliable player that has the options and price you desire with good picture quality. You determine what dvd player has good picture quality and nobody else. Go to an A/V store if possible and audition a few different players.
Good luck and don't lose any sleep over the choice. BTW, no stick figures in the incredibles on my denon 2910 :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
I just received two optical audio cables from BlueJean. Their response was fast and I got them quickly through USPS priority mail.

My question is about the termination of the cables. I thought optical cables needed to have a smooth, polished end. The ends on these cables are at an angle and uneven. You can plainly see the uneven surface without magnification. The degree of slant is such that one side of the termination is flush with the plastic while the other protrudes about half the thickness of a credit card.

I have not tried the cables yet, but I was curious and thought I would ask you folks here if you thought this was normal.

To BlueJeans credit they do offer an excellent return policy on these if I am not satisfied in anyway... so I'm in no way discrediting BlueJean. I just want to know if what I've got here is normal or if I should replace them.

BTW, went with the Pioneer 588, at that price I won't feel bad about upgrading when the new formats are fleshed out.

Username: Floyd_1977

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 7
Why don't you just connect the cables? Unless they simply don't work, I see no reason to replace them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us