Loudspeaker placement? (mission m35i specifically) [long post!]

Bronze Member
Username: Jinster

Post Number: 59
ok, i've got a pair of mission m35s and i've been breaking my back shuffling them around trying to find the 'sweet spot'.

i remember the manual saying 10 feet apart so i did that but i lost the manual and don't remember how many feet i'm suppost to sit away.

also, what are the pros and cons of aiming the speaker faces parelrell to eachother vs making them face toward a center spot where your head will be?

plus i have concrete wall so how many inches should i set the speaker away from it? and is there any cheap household material i can use for taking care of acoustics?

also i seem to have a distortion of mid base with the voice such as when i was listening to 'heart shaped box' by nirvana, kurt's voice drowns out when the base starts playing and even worse when drum comes in. what could be the cause of this? could it be in the recording itself?

well thanks for reading!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8439

A rock recording not sounding that good? Heaven forbid! Sure, it could be the recording, but you'd have to hear the disc on another system to make that judgement.

It sounds as if you need a course in speaker set up. Place "speaker position" in a search engine and read a few of the articles. There are different approaches to getting the best out of your loudspeakers, and, if one doesn't work for your system and your room, try another. Go to the "Accessories" portion of the forum for some articles on room treatments.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 952
1) The distance from you to the plane the speakers sit at should be equal to the distance between the 2 front speakers. ie in most HT set-ups the distance from the TV to the viewer should equal the distance between speakers provided the TV is on the same plane as the front speakers.

2) Having the speakers placed straight out provides a larger sweet spot. Having the speakers angled towards a specific position focuses the sweet spot. Speaker design largely influences which placement is best, a good example being planar or electrostatic speakers which beam as opposed to radiat sound - they will benefit from being toed in. Consult your speaker manual for what is best in your situation.

3) Distance from the wall behind the speakers is greatly influenced by where the port is located. A rear ported speaker should be placed farther away from the wall. Consult your speaker manual for the minimum distance they should sit from the wall.

4) There are several methods of treating a hard surface room such as concrete. A thick carpet or other dampening material placed behind the speakers may be a place to start if they are rear ported. Bass traps, acoustic materials such as egg cartens/drink trays can be used to reduce the sound reflections in a given room. Buying speakers with a warmer sound is also advisable for such rooms.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us