Help! Looking for speaker suggestions

Username: Wickedwillie89

Illinois USA

Post Number: 1
Hi! First-time poster here...

I'm looking for some suggestions for home theater speakers for a 5.1 system in a large (30x30) room. My preference on AVR receiver at this time is a Denon 4306 but that decision is not final. I've listened to Polk LSi-15's and Energy RC-70's in an a/b test. I liked the RC-70's (plus the fact that at 8 ohms they would pair better with the Denon). Any other suggestions on speakers??

I'll be using this as much for music as for ht. btw, my current stereo is a 2 ch Harman Kardon with Cerwin Vega D-7's, and I love the sound I get out of that combo. As far as budget goes, I'd like to stay under $6000.

Any help you could give would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2491
Hi Bill.
Is this a purely secondary HT to accompany your stereo then?

Illinois USA

Post Number: 2
Hi Nuck.

This new system will be my primary system for the house and located in my family room. My current H/K and C/V speakers are in my home office where they will remain.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2495
Bill, are you pointed towards the Denon for any particular reason?

Illinois USA

Post Number: 3
I was looking at the Denon mainly for three things -- HDMI video switching, iPod/music server connectivity, and XM-ready tuner. I was also looking at the H/K AVR645 (based on press releases and specs) but it apparently won't be out until August. I am open to suggestions.... :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2496
Bill, for the $ you mention, you might just want to check out a few more American products.
B&k is built in Buffalo and are a fine brand.
Outlaw audio build some stuff offshore, but ar as Continental as you can find. Good stuff.

Just a little prod, Bill, if you are gonna free up that kind of scratch, you may do better than Denon.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2497
Bill, you might not want to get married to HDMI.
The deal is not set yet for switching, and HDMI is already in 3rd format, first formats do not always hook up.

Outlaw uses DVi, which will work with a switchbox, anytime.

Illinois USA

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check into them.

Does anyone have any opinion on Definitive Technologies speakers? I listened to a set in a 5.1 setup today and they sounded incredibly clean for HT. The fronts were BP7002's.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3976
Personally I've never been a fan of DefTechs, I find them to be very unnatural sounding with anemic mids---they are at the top of my "you want HOW MUCH for that crap???" audio list.

How much music listening will you do with this system? To be honest I would find $6000 to be very overkill for a primarily-HT system, unless that price includes the display too.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3254
I agree with Edster about the DefTechs. They aren't avery refined speaker for the money they are asking. As far as the 6k comment you'll have to to forgive Edster he's a bit cheap. I listened to a 100k Arial/Theta Ht just the other day that gave me goosebumps. You can easliy make that 6k pay off in a thrilling HT.

Look at the Rotel Receiver and Paradigm or Revel speakers. These are great matches but there are plenty of others. Go out and do some shopping and good luck to you.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3978
LOL, I have to say that relative to Art, I really *am* an unholy tightwad. In fact, there is only one purchase where I was able to keep up with Art's wallet in fact: some Pledge cleaning wipes! (When applied to CDs and DVDs they supposedly yield a huge improvement in sound quality...though I still haven't gotten around to opening the darn package and using them yet, lol).

My philosophy regarding HT is, all you need is adequate clarity/detail and adequate oomph in the sub if you're big into action/thriller movies---since 90% of your attention is going to be fixed on what's happening on the screen to begin with. With music listening there are zero distractions, so a lot of the subtle refinements that you get when you move into the price stratosphere actually make themselves noticeable without one having to strain to catch them.

In all honesty, I believe that as little as $1500-2000 wisely spent (i.e. buying online and/or from Internet-direct manufacturers) can get you a very, very good HT system.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3255
One can buy a satisfying HT for $1500-2000, but one can spend $15,000-20,000 just as wisely and be satisfied as well. All is relative.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 951
As far as amp/processor here's $2221 spent wisely

http://www.outlawaudio.com/promo_pages/promo_990_2200.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us