Infinity RS2's and foam surround replacement.

Username: Seffywuff

Post Number: 1
Hey guys. Nice forum you've got here. Anyways. I recently got myself a nice Aragon 2004 amp. It's 200 watts per channel into four ohms, so I figured I'd push my RS2's a little because they have a 50 watt overhead.

It didn't end well. The foam surround on one of the woofers split. These are old speakers and It's pretty obvious that the surrounds on the woofers had been replaced at least once before (you can tell by the old glue on the cone, the previous surrounds were probably larger).

So now I'm looking for quality surrounds for my woofers. They are ten inch woofers. I've done a quick eBay search and all the surrounds there look pretty cheap. Here's a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Infinity-10-inch-Woofer-Foam-Surround-Repair-TWO-KITS_W0QQitemZ5830940270QQcategoryZ3276QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I apologize if the link is screwy. Or something. It's rather long and I've never posted here before. So anyways. Would this style of cone surround be appropriate to bring out my full 250 watts of power from these speakers? Do these surrounds have wattage rating maximums? Perhaps I would do better looking for a specialty foam surround?

Any and all information would be appreciated. Also, if anyone knows of a place in the central Oklahoma region who does speaker repair, that would be great. But that might be pushing my luck.
All advise or instructions on replacing them myself would be good too.

Thanks.Upload

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2408
seff, you can relpace them easily.
However, the centering of the cone is essential.
Use shims to center the cone for install of the driver. Start with rolling papers, and work your way up through printer paper, etc, equally spacing the coil and magnet, until you have a go/nogo fit all around the coil.
Step back one spacer from nogo.
Keep papers handy, as precision shims.

If you have access to brass shim stock, better yet.

It really aint that hard, if you want to.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us