Guru's still needed, forgot spousal factor, refigure <$2K

Username: Markpope

Lawrenceville, GA USA

Post Number: 6
Gentlemen and the occasional lady! Many of you, the erudite and all knowing audiophiles, attempted to steer me toward the nirvana of speaker arrays < $2,000 (5.1 system, etc. see earlier "Guru's needed..." post). I was leaning toward Monitor Audio but couldn't find prices that worked. Based on preponderance of evidence semi-convinced of Paradigm.

However, my earlier analysis neglected the spousal approval factor and I met with resistance as I'd promised my new speakers would be smaller than my old speakers. Now I'm looking at space savings designs and want to know the trade off with speakers such as Paradigm's Cinema 330 speakers? (I listened w/a sub and felt reasonably impressed.) Am I better off w/bookshelf square types? (They ain't real purty as we say down south.) Is there a better speaker that's wall mountable and still in the price range ($300 each for front L & R as well as center, $109 each Cinema ADP side, and thinking HSU STU-2 sub)? What might be a better system?

Also, gently, slowly, & finally moving into the receiver spectrum. Unless someone sways me from the above Paradigm based, based on past posts I'm considering the NAD T763 (used around $1,000) or the Denon 3805 (3896 is out, better? 2807 should be out, what up? 4306 out, expensive but I might have a line into getting Denon at true wholesale). Suggestions?

Lawrenceville, GA USA

Post Number: 7
Forgot to add dealer pushing a Marantz SR5600 w/Paragigm speakers listed (dealer thinks I'm still on the line for the Paradigm sub but based on threads read here picked HSU STU-2). Asking $600 but threads iffy on Marantz/Paradigm mix. Thoughts?

Lawrenceville, GA USA

Post Number: 8
Okay, last thought. Looked for HSU STU-2 obtained through ecoustics threads reviews, couldn't find. HSU's sight lists HSU VTF-2 MK2. Same price as dealer quote for Paradigm PDR12 but is a 10'. What up? What best? What do?

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1504
You are thinking of a STF-2: http://www.hsustore.com/stf2.html

I have an STF-3 and had borrowed my mother's PDR-10 for a week before I got the STF-3. There is no comparison whatsoever, so I'd believe thatthe STF-2 is also a better buy than the PDR-10.

Bronze Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 76
denon is good if u get a good price on it for a receiver. however, for similar price range w/o discounts etc, u should check out harman kardon and pioneer elite. i auditioned the pio elite vs similar priced denon (3806 vs ts74) and the pio elite won hands down in stereo. in ht, u be the judge as i found no discernable advantage btw the 2. i have a hk avr525 which i think is a rock, and sounds great w/ my b&w setup, but i like my denon 3805 better with the b&w speakers i use for mostly HT. so to give u direction instead of more choices, i would say pioneer elite over denon and hk, also audition marantz w/ the paradigms. check out pio elite 72.
but best of all, and cliche, listen to em all w/ paradigms;; u decide as for HT all will probably yield u a perfectly acceptable killer sound with dvds. i'd say listen to your top 3 for music only, and pick the best sounding and purchase it, u cannot go wrong in this range imo.

Bronze Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 77
hey peter i read ur posts and just thought it was "special" that u borrowed ur moms paradigm sub for a tryout :-) i wish my mom had some gear i could check out ;; take it easy man.
jeff

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3221
"iffy on Marantz/Paradigm mix. Thoughts?"

Marantz and Paradigm go together very well I've owned 2 such HT's and enjoyed them immensely. Just keep the speakers to the Monitor series or below (as you mentioned, the Cinema series) and you'll be fine.

Oh and Peter is quite correct the Hsu is a far better sub that the Paradigm PDR stuff. However, the new Paradigm Ultra Cubes are very good.

Good luck.

Lawrenceville, GA USA

Post Number: 9
Thanks Peter & Art, will pick up the recommended sub!

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1505
:-)

Right, and my Mom is in her seventies too.

The fact is I was late in the game of HT and only got a Dolby Digital and DTS capable receiver two years ago (the reason I joined the forum), and a sub about 6 months later. I then added a center speaker over a year ago, and upgraded my front main speakers about a year ago. I got a CD player about 6 months ago. I guess I'm due for the next hit!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2400
You realize, Peter, that at some point you will end up looking at a nice stereo setup, don't you?

Username: Varit

Post Number: 9
Have you checked out Orb Audio? The look isn't for everyone, but the sound is superb. Definitely within your budget, too.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1508
Yeah Nuck, at some point.

To my ears, I've reached a "nice setup" about a year ago. ;-)

Username: Rtlbuilder

NYC , NY USA

Post Number: 2
wonder if these would pass the SAS ;)
http://tpluspod.com/rtl/fostex%20PVChorn.htmlUpload

Gold Member

Post Number: 2614
how funky is that?

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 194
At a grand? Not very...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2628
The Marantz and Dynaco's Michael.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 197
Heh... I'll have to take your word for that! Not into the tubes.

Username: Doctorsorder

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 1
hey.. those are really neat speakers anyone hear them? I think I will try to build a pair, anybody figure them out? I can probably make them for less $

Username: Doctorsorder

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 2
hey.. those are really neat speakers anyone hear them? I think I will try to build a pair, anybody figure them out? I can probably make them for less $ any more info on them?

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 204
http://www.t-linespeakers.org/projects/davidduke/index.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us