Problem w/ HK EzSet+

Username: Gmanchefboy

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5
Hope everyone is doing well.
I'm trying to run EzSet on my new AVR335 (factory remanufactured from Harman Audio). EzSet begins with SETTING VOLUME. The test tone begins running in the front left speaker. It gets louder and louder, but after -9dbs, the test stops and I get a message saying there is no left front speaker connected. I can not proceed any further with the EzSet. The speaker sounds better then it ever has. Polarity is correct. Once again I have to ask, "why does this always happen to me?". I'm hoping it's just a defective microphone.
Harman tech support is closed for weekend, so I thought I would ask the true experts.
Will appreciate any help.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 938
The calibration is far from accurate even when it does work. Use the test button and manually adjust the levels with an analog SPL meter for better results.

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7
Thanks Kano,
I'm a newbie and have been reading about those things here on the forum. I was hoping EzSet would make it easier, especially when it comes to the bass management of the system. I'm trying to understand the whole crossover thing. According to my sub manual, the way I have it set up, I should set the low pass crossover to 150Hz, but the sub is the only speaker that can't be adjusted with the receiver, only settings for sub are Global and Independent. I can adjust frequencies on all other speakers. Does this simply mean I should set all other speakers to 150Hz? System is 5.1. I do have large fronts (Toby towers), and I do want bass coming from them as well, so my sub is set to L/R+LFE. All speakers are connected directly to my receiver. Thanks again for your reply.

Also, I am courious as to why it isn't working. I'll be calling HK first thing monday if I can't figure it out before then.

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8
Or would that mean only setting the center, and two small surrounds to 150Hz?
Receiver came with all speakers set at 100Hz.

You guys must love newbies.

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9
Agghhhhh.........could this be it. Since I'm using the setting L/R LFE, it doesn't matter how I set the fronts, since all low frequencies will be sent to the fronts. Therefore, again, only center and surrounds should be set at 150Hz.

Is it correct that-when a manual states to set the low crossover, it is referring to the settings of the sub and when it states "high crossover" it is referring to the settings of the other speakers?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 940
The crossover setting on the sub is only relevant if you have it connected to the front right and left pre-outs of the receiver. If you are running the sub from the sub pre-out you can just set the crossover to the highest setting so it is inactive. In this setting the receiver decides where the sub will start to play. An agreed upon setting, and the THX standard is to have all speakers set to small with all crossovers set to 80Hz.

I too prefer my fronts to get a full signal so I have the sub set to L/R/LFE as well.

The only reason to set the subs crossover so high as 150Hz is if your using sattelite speakers, otherwise the speakers will have more definition and clarity in the 80-150Hz range.

You can only adjust the crossovers in the on screen display, you must move to the right in the menu to access them. It is important to set all speakers to the same crossover or as close as possible, you don't want a different crossover for each speaker, this just makes the bass management easier, and having all different crossovers can lead to other problems like bass cancellation.

I'm not sure if your receiver has a test tone for the subwoofer, mine doesn't (HK AVR430), but I have the Avia Guide to Home Theatre DVD which has a test tone for the subwoofer. This is entirely unneccessary though, since it is easy to dial the sub's level into the system, you basically want to set it to where it is loudest without being noticable - you'll know what I mean when you hear it.

I used the EzSet system to set up my speakers upon purchase, when checking with an SPL meter it was waaaaaaay off, I'd suggest it's a useless feature, just buy an SPL meter from Radio Shack, set up the system and return it.

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10
Thanks again Kano,
I really appreciate your taking the time to help me through this. I'm gonna pick-up an SPL in the next few days. I've had these speakers for over a quarter of a century and I'm finally getting the most out of them. I'm in audio euphoria.

Keep warm in Canada. We're already hotter than hell in Texas.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us