Buying advice on new Marantz receiver...

Bronze Member
Username: Bigpoppaphile

SAINT CLOUD, MN United States

Post Number: 17
Hey everyone, just stumbled across this deal at audiogon while searching for a new receiver.

Here's the link: http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?miscrcvr&1147223703

Was planning on getting the Marantz SR5600 to go with my klipsch speakers from accessories4less, but this deal seems almost to good to pass up, or maybe too good to be true?

Anyone have any experience with either audiogon or this american theatre business? American theatre is not listed on marantz' auth. online dealer list. Gray market perhaps? Almost doesn't matter at that price maybe.

I'm going to email or call and see for sure if it is "new in the box" like they claim.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/experiences!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7873
Here is someone's take on American Theater:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/145740.html

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3945
BigPoppa,

er...you seem to have missed the part in that audiogon listing where it says "reserve not met."

I.e. you AIN'T gonna get that bundle for no lousy $450. The only way to find out what the "reserve" is, is to keep bidding up until you either pass the maximum amount that you're willing to pay or until you do meet the seller's minimum ("reserve") price.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
from the post link berny supplied:
"I believe the answer to the question which started this thread has been quite thoroughly been answered. American Theater Systems is not reputable.

They are a fraud boiler-room operation staffed by people of limited intellect and even less morality.

Their dishonesty has been proven by their own ineptitude. "

That seems to have answered my question quite well, thanks for the post berny.

Edster, I realize how the internet bidding worked, but as I had monitored the page for a day or so and saw no bids, and I had not received an email answer from them for the "buy now" price, was just curious if anyone had any experiences with them before I jumped in and started bidding. But it is quite clear they are shady from berny's link and since never responded to my email, I don't think I'll be doing any business with them.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 974
If this company is such a sham, why does Audiogon allow it to keep posting there? That doesn't bode too well for Audiogon.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3948
I can't figure those guys out. The BBB link on the ecoustics thread you posted is very convincing, however all the AT critics are anonymous posters.

When all that first came to light many many months ago, out of curiousity I did some Googling and found that there was a custody battle going on involving AT's owner Kevin McEvoy and his ex-wife and her new husband in which the latter two were accusing him of being a drug addict and molestingg their child---so the shadiness cuts many ways.

That said, I wouldn't buy from them either.

Wonder about Audiogon though, I thought they're supposed to be more rigorous about weeding out bad sellers...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3949
PS. As I understand it, several anti-AT threads on a number of forums were removed after AT threatened legal action against those forums.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2423
Bricks and morter look better all the time, again.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 976
Sorry for AT, the thread's are protected by the first amendment.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 402
I purchased a refurbished Marantz SR4320 stereo receiver from www.Accessories4Less.com recently. It's been working well. The purchase was easy and delivery was quick. Very nice to deal with. I'd buy from them again.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
That's really good to know rick Z, that is probably where I will end up getting my new receiver from as I have yet to find any authorized online marantz dealer with better prices and a good rep.

Anyone want to give their preferences on which model? I was looking at the refurb 5600 for $450, a new 6400 for $450, or the refurb 7500 for $600.

I've got the klipsch reference speakers and really liked the sound of the marantz compared to the other brands I've listened too. My room is 30' by 13', it includes a dining area behind the living room with no divider or partition. My setup is a 5.1 right now with no plans on going 7.1 for a while. I really want a musical receiver at mid volume levels good for any genre.

Thanks for all your posts so far guys!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3951
The 7500 should be more powerful than the 5600, but according to Art Kyle who personally knows several local Marantz dealers, the 5xxx series has the best reliability. Unless you have difficult speakers I'd expect the 5600 to do just fine in your room with your volume levels.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 403
Which ever you choose, Marantz does have a rich, warm sound that should complement your Klipsch speakers quite nicely.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us