B&W 603 s3 Vs. 704

Username: Bbb34

Post Number: 4
Thinking of upgrading my B&W 603 S3 to 704, and according to everything I've read/heard they are "way better speaker".
I should mention that I like 603s just fine, nothing wrong with these IMO, this is just trying to benefit from trade up program my local dealer is offering.

The dealer will let me compare 704 with my speakers at home, most likely next week, but before I do that I wanted to hear few different opinions.

How would you describe the improvement I'd be getting with these?
What about amplification ?

Upgrading amp. is not an option for a while. I own NAD C352 at the time and in my opinion it matches really well with 603.
Would this be an issue with 704 ?
"Better" amp. would be desired, I understand that and it will happen at some point, but for now, would benefits of getting "better" speaker be lost by not having amp. to match ?

Bronze Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 72
soundstage wider, midrange will hit you in the chest, highs cleaner, lows deeper and tighter. 700 series is a nice step up.
u like the 603's just fine, so keep them and stay away from your dealer ! hehe, u gonna get urself into trouble. once you bring them speakers home with you, i have a feeling they are not going back. i have made this comparison with 604's vs 704's and liked the 704's alot better in my local shop. and imo, the 604 is quite a bit more speaker than the 603, so do the math.
as far as amps go, yes the nad 352 will make a good sonic match to the 704's. i believe if u liked the sound of your 603s w/ nad, u will love the sound of the 704's w/ nad. better amp is not the issue here, more power may just be however. at 80 w/ch the nad does a great job w/ the 600's i'd bet, but u may be after a bit more when jumping to the 700 series.

Post Number: 7
Thanks for the info, and, as good advice as it is, you know that staying away from the dealer is not an option in the long run ;-)

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2398
I would not fear the dealer, bbb, only your own resolve(and income tax refund).
An at-home offer is one that I would not decline, bearing in mind you should start with identical placement etc.
Your Nad will not be an issue at all, unless your right hand has no governer, and even then, you should be fine, IMHO.

The placement of the 700's may make a big difference, but are you satisfied with the placement of the 603's now?

Post Number: 8
Good one Nuck, so true, it's not the dealer I fear ;-)
My feeling is that once I do the demo at home, I'm "toast", although I'll try to be as objective as possible when auditioning.

Probably should mention that I listened to 804 and 803 Signature series with Classe Delta series CDP and preamp/amp combo and absolutely loved what I heard, and this is where I'm hoping to end up down the line with B&W trade-up option.

Placement is not an issue as my living room is quite large and they are well clear off the walls, behind them and on the sides as well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2415
bbb, if you are pre-disposed towards the Classe type sound and bucks, you might well be served by waiting on everything and saving time(you say that you are happy with your gear now), and money(by waiting till the new lines come out, buy end of line).

It looks like Nuck syndrome may be impending.
Buy because I can, and I want.

This is not meant to be derrogatory in any way, but that is how I bought for years.

Focus is everything, focus either on your present system, or where you want to go.
I would not banter on so much, except that you are lurking in some pretty heady space with the classe and b&w' go on forever(and very well).

I might suggest, bbb, that you set a plan on paper for what is realistic, maybe it all is, and set priorities, along with your present living and listening space, along with future space opportunities.

If you are going in the classe direction, with b&w speakers, you may find yourself looking for a living space to meet your requirements.
It ain't like a cat.

Its all good.

Bronze Member
Username: Ravbains

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 62
Hi Bbb34,

I tend to agree with Nuck, if you know what you want (i.e. B&W 800 series speakers w/ Classe' Delta series electronics), then why not focus on the end goal.

The B&W 700 series is good, I have personal experience of the standmount 705. I know that the 705 and the other 700 series are electrically speaking an easy load, so your NAD won't have any problems driving them. But I also know from the 705 that they are very revealing speakers, and IMHO quite unkind to inferior amplifiers. I am not saying that the NAD won't pass muster, but this is something to bear in mind whilst demoing the 700 series speakers.

For myself, I find it quite hard to decide what I actually want, and listening opportunities aren't that great down here in Aus. So I think that you actually knowing what you like (delta+800s) is a small victory that you have already won.

cheers, and good luck
Rav

Post Number: 9
You guys are making lots of sense here.
That said, please raise your hand, anybody on this board who did all their audio shopping within previously set budget, and never felt the need to upgrade ;-)

My idea is to upgrade speakers slowly, I'm assuming you're familiar with B&W upgrade program, 100% of the value for your "old" stuff if you trade up within a year, I guess this depends on the dealer, but in general is true at most of the places that carry B&W.
This is how I was planning to get to 804 or 803 within few years, and this is in line with what you called "focus on the end goal", pretty much same as putting money aside until I'm there for, what I "NOW" consider would be final speaker in my system.
My biggest concern was NAD for the time being, as I said, I have to live with this amp for a while since I don't get trade up program here.

As for Classe, I should clarify that I'm not 100% set on this brand. It sounded absolutely amazing to my ears with 800 series, but it's also very expensive, on the amp/preamp side I'd be willing to experiment more, there are so many options as you know, but based on what I heard Classe seems like very safe bet, very expensive, but safe bet ;-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2418
Re-upping the speakers for 'free' each year is definately a plus towards those 804's, bbb.I can see no reason not to do that at all.
In fact, you can move up and have time to determine the time, if ever, that you want or need to go bigger with the amp.
I suppose by then you may be settled on classe, or perhaps something else again. The 1 year loyalty program I did not know about, and I may look into myself, to mate with Rotel.

My long post was from lots of experience buying and selling, and in the end paying double for where I wanted to bet to all along, that's all.

Cheers!

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 185
Bbb34, just curious, are you shopping in the Ptld, Ore area? Sounds like a similar setup I demod myself recently............Chelsea Audio by any chance? Just curious, because if so, there are a couple more places to check out that carry some different lines of both amps and speakers that are in similar price ranges. But the Classe is a quality amp, and will do just fine, I was close to going that route myself (classe, not the b@w) but went a diff. direction after I narrowed my choices, but the classe was on the short list.

Post Number: 10
David, no, not in Oregon, I'm in Toronto.

I'm not surprised you were close to getting Classe, sounds as good as it looks doesn't it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2431
Absolute sound carries those brands.
Bay bloor radio are not so good, I find.

If you end up with speakers and wanting more amp at that point, then you have a choice to fund.

Until then, I don't see a lot of problems in your planning.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us