I wanna know about these speakers

Bronze Member
Username: Jayosa

Post Number: 58
i saw these on an add im not sure if i should by them are they better then my athenas and how old are they;;,,,,,,B&W 601 series 2, 6.5" Kevlar-cone woofer, 1" met dome, wave guide, tweeter, bi-wireable, 25-100W, blk, 14"Hx8.5"Wx9"D, 13 lbs,.....please tell me about this bramd

Silver Member
Username: Tdogroeder

Des Moines, IA

Post Number: 125
B&W are well respected speakers. Some like the sound, and others don't including myself. But if you like B&W speakers you should get them.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1347
B&W (aka Bowers & Wilkins) is one of the largest speaker manufacturers in the world. The 600 series is one up from the entry level series (300). The 601 is one up from the base model (the 600). It's a well reviewed model and there are lots of people who like the 601s very much. I do not know the Athenas at all, so I can't comment on whether the 601 is better or not.

For more information on B&W speakers go to their website at: http;//www.bwspeakers.com where you can look at all their products.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 1071
I myself liked the athenas that used to be carried at best buy, but think that the 601's have loose bass. However, the athenas are easier to drive.

This was possibily due to the equipment I heard them on.

Bronze Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 73
i have 601's in my bedroom on a denon cd player w/ nad separates for dedicated 2 channel morning listening if u will. man, they are absolutely beautiful. i used to use them as surrounds in a 7.1, and i just cannot comprehend how well they open up in the current 2-channel config i have them in on separate components. i hate to say it, but i would go so far as to say they are difficult to drive, because i haven't seen my 605s2's open up like this on my denon 3805 receiver..
so i think the reason gavin heard loose bass could definitely be the equiptment. imo the b&w 601s2 is anything but loose in the bass section.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1076
Jeff,

I have a rotel amp / preamp system that I used to drive them with, not a reciever.

Bronze Member

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 74
well, sounds like maybe i have a "looser" definition of the term :-) just for my ears and my room, the b&w's 601 s2s don't sound loose at all, rather tight and musical. the room is about 16 x 12 x 8 ceilings. i'm not trying to say the bass is amazing at all, just not what i would consider loose sounding is all. gavin, i apologize for assuming your equipment wasn't up to par, i just read into ur post too much is all. when u said it was possibly due to the equipment, i didn't envision u were using rotel pre/ and amp for the listening. that being said, i haven't heard the athena's in home, so maybe the b&w's "bass" seems loose compared w/ the athenas.
good luck jay cuba

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1079
Jeff, I also have magnepans for mains, so just about everything sounds loose next to them... sorry for not mentioning that.

Bronze Member

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 75
nice, i could use a pair of them bad oscars myself :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us