Need your advice

Okay everybody, your opinions are wanted here. I am purchasing audio pieces for a small home media room (15 foot x 15 foot x 8 foot). I will listening to 60% music and 40% home theater (DVD). My budget for a receiver and 5.1 speaker system is around $2,000-2,700. A Denon AV-2802 will be the receiver. I've narrowed down my choice of speaker systems to just a few, but can't find one place that has them all side-by-side. Please give me your opinion only if you've actually compared two or more of these pieces.

$2000 package
Boston Acoustics VR 950 front speakers
Boston Acoustics VR 910 center speaker
Boston Acoustics Bravo surround speakers
Boston PV 600, Hsu VTF-2 or SVS 25-13 PCI subwoofer

or

Rocket RS 550 front speakers
Rocket RSC 100 center speaker
Rocket RSC 150 surround speakers
Hsu VTF-2 or SVS 25-13 PCI subwoofer

or

Energy Connoisseur C5 front speakers
Energy Connoisseur C-C1 center speaker
Energy Connoisseur C-R1 surround speakers

or

Paradigm Studio 20 front speakers
Paradigm CC-370 center speaker
Paradigm ADP 170 surround speakers
Paradigm PS-1000, Hsu VTF-2 or SVS 25-13 PCI subwoofer

$2500 package
Rocket RS 550 front speakers
Rocket RSC 200 center speaker
Rocket RSC 300 surround speakers

or

Boston Acoustics VR 950 front speakers
Boston Acoustics VR 910 center speaker
Boston Acoustics VR-MX surround speakers
Boston PV 600, Hsu VTF-2 or SVS 25-13 PCI subwoofer

or

Energy Connoisseur C5 front speakers
Energy Connoisseur C-C1 center speaker
Energy Connoisseur C-R3 surround speakers

or

Paradigm Studio 40 front speakers
Paradigm CC370 center speaker
Paradigm ADP370 surround speakers
Paradigm PW-2200, Hsu VTF-2 or SVS 25-13 PCI subwoofer

In addition to posting your responses here, please send a private email to DavdFrey@aol.com (please no responses after April 15, 2003).

Anonymous
Well ahh...I would just go with Fluance. They are the only world class competetion brand that doesn't adverties, so dont get spetical. This speakers will rock out all your music and DVD listening. Check out these fluance speakers at fluance.com. I've bought a set from here and they are awesome. They're woofers can reach all the way to 30 heartz, thats really low for a low price under 300 dollars

let me know what u chose

Anonymous
Buy Fluance on the www.ebay.com for $179

David -

The Bostons and the Energy lines both have a very similar sound. Detailed, punchy, dynamic, but with their metal dome tweeters they can sound too bright, especially on pop music. I haven't heard the Rocket speakers.

However, I have an opportunity for you to own a much higher quality speaker set that the ones you listed. I'm parting with a set of M&K's top-of- the-line speakers. Match these with an HSU or M&K sub and I believe you will be very happy. The speakers I'm selling can be found on e-bay at this location: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3014145731&category=32861

Anonymous
David: I like the canadian speakers but you might not notice a much difference from the Fluance line - don't let the price fool you - they come with good recommendations at www.audioreview.com You know, the prices on high end stuffs are over priced, and you are not going to get much more quality for $2000.
For a receiver, you might consider the outlaw1050 at www.outlawaudio.com for $499 - probably better than the standard Japanese stuff for the same money, since they sell direct cutting out the middle man.
Among the speakers you mentioned, I like the canadian ones. The energy sounds good to me. M&Ks come with good reputation too - buying a well taken care of used gear is probably smart on speakers, unless you buy the fluance set for under $200.
The Bostons sound a little listener-fatigue sounding. I could listen to the energys for hours.
Have you heard of this DVD player that's supposed to sound on a par with the NAD541 CD player (the best under $500 cd) ? It is Sony DVPNS500V at (www.plazmaplus.com) if you don't have a dvd player yet.

Hello, I am looking to upgrade my home theater system. I am running off of a Kenwood receiver and I was looking at the JBL Northridge series (the NCENTERII, N38II for my fronts and the N26II as my rears. I was pretty set with these, then I heard about the Fluance speakers and they look pretty convincing, any input would be appreciated, thanks in advance
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us