Home theatre speakers

Username: Chewy_nougat

Mesa, AZ USA

Post Number: 1
Hello,
I'm looking for help with a home theatre system I'm putting together. So far I have an Onkyo tx-sr803 reciever, Polk CS13 center speaker, and an velodyne 10" sub. I would like a decent set of floor standing fronts and rear surrounds to complete my system. Your thougths please.
Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8363

Since you have a 10" sub, I would buy JBL's. No doubt in my mind!

Mesa, AZ USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks Jan, I've read some good things about their northridge series. New E80 towers on ebay for $175 plus shipping. Not bad.

Gold Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 1029
um....

he was being sarcastic...

Mesa, AZ USA

Post Number: 3
Hehe,
Do you have any recommedations Gavin, my budget is around $800 for the four. What's up with JBL? I'm pretty much a newbie.
Thanks

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1031
because you have a polk center already, jan was being sarcastic. you need to keep your mains the same brand as the center.

But, with polk, I am not in the know.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3917
Patrick,

With that Onkyo 803 I would not bother with floorstanders since it will probably not power them adequately to sound their best anyway, plus you already have a sub (which model Velodyne? God help you if it's the vx-10).

Instead, I'd just get a pair of the Polk RTi6s for your fronts ($380 shipped from jr.com or crutchfield.com) and a pair of Polk Monitor 30s ($210 shipped from crutchfield.com) for the surrounds.

If you absolutely MUST have floorstanders, look at the Monitor 50 which are about $420 shipped from crutchfield.com --- their brightness might go well with the Onkyo actually.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7761
Take a look at the Athena ASF 2.2 and their bookshelves. Your Onkyo shouldn't have trouble driving those.

Username: Noek

Post Number: 6
you can always add an amplifier to power some floorstanding speakers...I have an Onkyo as well and am looking at the Paradigm Monitor11 series and I know that my receiver won't power them. I've also heard that Paradigms sound their best with alot of power. I'm scrapping my receiver and building it around my speaker choice...it's what I should have dont to begin with. Just an option if you ever get serious. Good Luck.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1052
that isn't true that paradinms sound their best with a ton of power. You can drive a pair of monitor 7's with an onkyo reciever, but an amp will power them better. Hell, I even drive my atoms with an external amp, not that its necessary, but I drive all my speakers that way.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1344
Patrick

In order to preserve the soundscape in your room, you should stick with Polk. Whether or not they're floorstanders is a side issue. The most important thing is to ensure that all the speakers have similar timbral responses and the easiest way to do this is to make all the speakers the same brand.

Of course, if you want to change your centre as well, then the world's your oyster.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1060
*paradigms

Mesa, AZ USA

Post Number: 4
Thanks all for your help, I've only been a reader of this post for a few weeks now. I do appreciate your knowledge (and sarcasm). I wish I would have found this forum before I made my purchases. I think I would have gone in an entirely different direction. Any thoughts on the Alegria Audio line?Will my Onkyo be enough to power them?
Thanks again

Gold Member

Post Number: 3931
I'd get the Emmas if you're looking at the Alegria line, in which case you just might be fine without a subwoofer unless you watch movies like U-571 all the time.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 931
Patrick,

The Allegria Audio Emmas are a completely different direction that the Polks recommended above. I suspect Tim would sell you Emmas for your fronts ($600/pair) or Lings all around ($249/pair).

If you're thinking in that direction, I would probably buy a pair of Emmas, save up to purchase a second pair and Tim is working on an Emma center channel so you could get by with the Polk center for a while and upgrade later.

You Onkyo should drive the Emmas fine, I demoed them with a 25 wpc tube amp and they are incredible sounding, especially if you're listening to music and not just doing HT. And, they're very pretty, which is a great selling advantage to the wife or significiant other. Anyway, my commercial is over. Good luck.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3937
I loved the Lings for certain types of music, but unless Tim has really changed things (the current Lings are a bit modified from the originals I heard) I would not recommend them for HT, far too little detail IMHO. The Emmas' electrostat tweeter does not have that problem.

He has some LCR speakers designed for HT that look interesting, but I haven't heard them myself.

Silver Member

Post Number: 934
What Ed said on the Lings. I would tend to agree and I'd go with the Emmas myself. However, your mileage may vary, your ears may hear differently on the Lings.

Ed and I have been known to be wrong before. Yep, once I thought Ed was wrong and I was wrong so . . . You get it

Silver Member

Post Number: 936
What Ed said on the Lings. I would tend to agree and I'd go with the Emmas myself. However, your mileage may vary, your ears may hear differently on the Lings.

Ed and I have been known to be wrong before. Yep, once I thought Ed was wrong and I was wrong so . . . You get it

Silver Member

Post Number: 937
OOPS, I posted twice, ignore 1st or second post.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 908
Ed and Dave, thanks for the referral.
After the "Ring of the Lings" I went to work on the crossover based on the feedback I was getting from all the reviewers. It took some time and a pile of rejected crossovers. What I have now is a version that combines the positives (good bass, sparkling highs) with corrections to the negatives (subdued mids). It really is a joy to listen to.
The Rosa LCR was recently reviewed in the April '06 issue of Affordable Audio.
http://www.affordableaudio.org/AAIssue4-06.pdf
And then there's Emma.
Emma will provide impressive dynamics and a high level of detail in a home theater setup. Bass response will reach into the 30s. Adding a subwoofer will relieve the Emmas XBL^2 mid-woofer of lower range duties and provide you even more dynamics if you're into action flicks. The Emma center channel design is complete and just waiting for cabinets. I opted for a sealed center rather than a vented one based on the assumption that the HT setup will include a subwoofer. This keeps the box size small but will still reach into the 50s (-3db@60Hz)which is plenty for home theater. It is voiced matched with the Emma monitor.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us