Paradigm Studio 100 v3 driven by YAMAHA RX V-2600. Is it OK ?

Bronze Member
Username: Look4sun

Post Number: 75
Hello guys,

I am planning to drive the Paradigm Studio 100 v3 with the newest receiver Yamaha 2600.
I want to know your opinion whether this Yamaha 2600 could take the full advantage of this Paradigm Studio 100.
Oh yes, I've just read the Yamaha 2600's review from audioholis.com and too bad it didn't test this Yamaha under 4 ohm loading.
I know this Studio 100 should demand a lot under 4 ohm power.

Again, please give your idea and let me know your experience with this combo Studio 100 and Yamaha 2600.

Thanks anyway.
sun

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3198
"whether this Yamaha 2600 could take the full advantage of this Paradigm Studio 100."

No. Try a Rotel AVR if you must use an AVR with the 100's. Studio 100's require far more current (and everything else) than the Yamaha can deliver to really sing.

Gold Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 1025
I wouldn't use a yamaha avr to drive any of the studio towers. they demand lots of current.

here is ly mist of AVRs for use for the studio series:

Rotel
Arcam
B&K
Linn
Krell
NAD
Adcom

And, are you planning on using them in a HT system or just a stereo pair

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1026
*my list

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3204
Good list. I would add to that...

Sunfire
Lexicon

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1028
yup...

Bronze Member
Username: Hoanghai2k

Melbourne, VIC Australia

Post Number: 16
how about ...
outlaw
Parasound
H/K

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1033
outlaw isn't strong enough unless its the new stereo reciever.

H/K does not apply here. Their recievers are mass market junk

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1034
some recievers that appear to be mass market, such as integra and pioneer elite are actually VERY good. They are upgraded versions of Onkyo and Pioneer recievers respectively, but even these do not have the juice to do the 100's justice.

But, sometimes the name game is just that. Sony ES, for example, still has the sony sound. However, the really high end sony ES SACD players are amazing.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3206
HK is a decent receiver from the mass market but I don't think that it's appropriate to match it with Studio series speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: Look4sun

Post Number: 76
Hi...guys.
Thanks for your all opinions.
I plan to use the Studio 100 both for stereo listening and movie too.
The receiver that Gavin list out I think I quite not familiar with. I thought these receiver good for stereo listening purpose, but for surround processing the Yamaha outperform them. But this is my opinion.
Anyway, could you give the market/fair price of all that receivers ? The Yamaha Rx 2600 is approx. US 1200.
Again, if my final decision is YAMAHA 2600, how would the Studio 100 perform ? Anybody experience with this setup ?

Thanks
sun

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3215
Use Google l4s. The prices are easy to find. Like we said the Studio 100's won't perform anywhere near their potential with the Yamaha. The Energy Reference Connoisseur line is efficient and easy to drive. They mate very well with Yamaha receivers.

Bronze Member
Username: Dobyblue

St. Catharines, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 67
You can't go wrong with Adcom.

I'd add some old Carvers to that list as well.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1072
the yamaha does NOT outperform them. possibly in the useless bells and whistles department and thats all.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3929
look4sun,

In your shoes I'd go with an entry-level Yammie like the 657 and add an external 2-channel amp for the Studio 100s...maybe a NAD c272 or a pair of the Outlaw 200wpc monoblocks.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1074
I agree with edster. That is a good way to get the DSP features of the yamaha (if that is what you are after) with the power you need to do those marvelous speakers justice.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 932
look4sun,

OK, I'll weigh in only because the receiver options offered were excellent. But, I wouldn't rule out Outlaws combo entry level amp and pre/pro either. The 970 (which I own and run with an Adcom 7 channel amp) and either the 7075 - 75 wpc (combo priced at $1298 plus shipping) or the 7125 - 125 wpc (combo priced at $1598).

The latter combo especially would have no problem driving the Studio 100s. Having gone through the whole receiver vs. amp & pre/pro combo thing in the past year, I can unqualifiedly say that the sound and HT quality, the upgrade path options and issues with whether you have enough power are more easily resolved with the separates approach, assuming you have the room and the dollars to do it. Good luck, Dave

PS - I wouldn't rule out NAD, Rotel, Adcom, Anthem or similarly priced separates if you can make that jump in price.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3939
> The latter combo especially would have no problem driving the Studio 100s.

I can believe that, but I guess what I'd wonder about is whether the other channels really need the same robust power as the mains, which you'd be paying for with a multichannel separate amp...

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 933
Ed,

I went that direction because the Yamaha 2600 is a multi-channel receiver so I assumed, bad thing to do I know, that l4s was looking at HT multi-channel and music set-up.

If he's looking solely at 2 channel, there a heck of alot less expensive, better options out there than a multi-channel receiver, especially in the integrated, stereo amp set-up or monoblocks, IMHO.

Also, I've run a multi-channel receiver where the fronts had greater wpc than the rears and surrounds and I never liked it. It was difficult to get HT and 2 channel listening set up to my liking. Now, it was before the advent of automatic setup and I didn't have a SBL meter. So, maybe I would feel differently now BUT WHY give up watts when most multis are balanced now? Dave.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3943
> Also, I've run a multi-channel receiver where the fronts had greater wpc than the rears and surrounds and I never liked it.

Interesting...I never noticed any real difference during HT when I had my NAD separates powering my mains and my Marantz powering the other speakers. I guess that's what I was basing my comments on.

Of course my wife doesn't allow me to watch movies at 100db (unless she's not at home) so that might have something to do with it, LOL.

Bronze Member
Username: Darth

The woodlands

Post Number: 53
IMHO,

Those are such good speakers that if budget permits you should try two NAD C-272 'S bridged, oh man, they will make the studio's shine.
agreed with Gavin, I'd much rather prefer a Pioneer Elite with the NAD amps than the Yammie.

my 2 cents
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us