Connecting computer speakers to sony str-de675

Username: Iradel

Post Number: 1
I have 4 satellites from a Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 system connected to my sony str-de675 receiver (along with a center and sub). I would like to replace the speaker wire that the satellites are currently using with a lower gauge wire. The problem is that I need a wire with a 3.5mm mono plug on one end (for the speakers), and something that the receiver will take on the other end. I haven't been able to find any kind of adapter that will let me do that. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7733
Has this unit alwyas been attached to the receiver or was it used for a computer before that?

Post Number: 2
At first it was attached directly to the computer, but for some time now it has been attached to the receiver with the included cables (which have a 3.5mm mono plug on one end and just 2 loose wires on the other that I connected to the receiver). Now that I see that the satellites will work fine with the receiver, I'd like to upgrade their speaker wire...the include one is so thin I could probably rip it with my bare hands.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7735
You realize that those are 4 ohm speakers right? Your receiver won't last too long with those things.

Cut the plugs where you have enough wire left over to splice another wire or you can buy mono plugs from an electronics store and splice your own wire to those. I honestly think it is just a waste of time and effort, unless you believe there would be a benefit, perceived or otherwise, by getting thicker wires.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the quick reply. Why won't the receiver last too long...it's pushing too much current?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7737
That receiver is not designed to handle a 4 Ohm load.

Post Number: 4
What would be your recommendation for someone on a budget?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7739
What is your budget? Will you be using the same receiver?

Read up on Speaker Impedance and why it is bad for your 4 Ohm speakers to be used with 8 Ohms-only receiver.

http://www.hometoys.com/htinews/feb04/articles/polk/impedence.htm

Post Number: 5
I found the following about the STR-DE675:

"Sony STR-DE675 Receiver - The quality of home theater receivers keeps getting better and prices keep getting cheaper. This unit is a particularly good buy, offering five discrete channels capable of 4 ohm loads (rare in this price range) plus a preamp-level subwoofer output, S-video connections, optical inputs and outputs, and built-in Dolby Digital and DTS decoders. $300 (street price)."

Are you sure about this receiver not supporting it? I've never had it overheat on me or anything.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7740
Hmmm...I don't know about that. I haven't encountered a lot of Sony STR series that can handle a 4 Ohm load. Look in the back of your receiver and verify the impedance specification.

Post Number: 6
Phew...great to have that sorted out. :-)

So in your experience lower gauge wires won't make a huge difference? As you can tell I'm not very experienced, but one of my friends was telling me I'd hear a huge difference by going from 24 (?) to 16 gauge.

Post Number: 7
There's a 4ohm/8ohm switch, and right now it's set on 8. Should I move it over to 4?

Post Number: 8
Nevermind:

"Some Receivers have an impedance selector switch. DON'T USE THEM! The manufacturer puts them there for UL approvals as well as easing consumer concerns about driving low impedance loads. These switches step down voltage feed to the power sections which will limit dynamics and overall fidelity. Keep the switch set for 8 ohms regardless of the impedance of your speakers and ensure proper ventilation of the Receiver."

Gold Member

Post Number: 7741
They do make a difference but not for those speakers, at least none that you can hear. Wait until you are using speakers that were not meant for computers:-) Right now just save your money.

Post Number: 9
That makes sense. Listen...I really appreciate your help tonight. Thanks a lot!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us