Wireless speakers?

Username: Xnutt

Post Number: 7
Im just curious, i have heard that wireless speakers are not the way to go. But why is that? I have no carpet or anything to hide the wires. Any help would be appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 155
For one thing, they are never truly "wireless". They still need power (ie power chord) and the transmitter still needs to be wired. As to product performance, I cannot speak intelligently on that matter.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7678
The best thing is to listen to them before time runs out that you cannot return them. If you like the way they reproduce the sounds you like...keep it.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 157
Sage advice...

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8345

No, it would appear to be thyme-ly advice.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7713
I tried to get rosemary in there...she would have nothing to do with the forum.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2337
Rosey is busy at my place...

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 161
*groan*

Username: Pj87

Post Number: 5
I'm a newcomer but I asked a few people at stores such as Bose and Cambridge Soundworks about wireless speakers and everyone has told me that they would stay away from wireless speakers for now as the technology still needs to be refined and one of the biggest issues yet to be tackled is interference.
Maybe others can expand on this, I'm just tossing out what has been said to me a few times.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8039
You've got it in a nutshell.

Username: Wild_willie

Post Number: 8
Just to add to the stay away right now. The vast majority of wireless speakers and transmitters use the same frequency that your corless phone uses. Have even heard rumours of neighbors phone conversations comming in over the speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1331
"I'm a newcomer but I asked a few people at stores such as Bose and Cambridge Soundworks about wireless speakers and everyone has told me that they would stay away from wireless speakers for now as the technology still needs to be refined and one of the biggest issues yet to be tackled is interference."

A few thoughts on this:
1) I think their's a snowball fight going on in hell right now, because a Bose store employee actually said something accurate.

2) Even the Bose employees stay away from them? If that's not a textbook defination of junk, I don't know what is.

I can't believe I'm saying this...
The Bose employees hit the nail on the head. Take their advice on this one, and ONLY this one.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1405
Wireless technology still has a few challenges. I was discussing this with an employee of a major UK manufacturer. One of the main problems is dropouts. Even assuming the speakers are in the same room as the transmitter and using high rate 802.11g, you still get dropouts in sound. Another issue is quality. Again, even with 802.11g, it is very easy to end up without a quality signal. In theory, it should be possible to have full transference at premium quality, but in practice it doesn't happen.

The other problem is power of course. Although a wireless signal can be transmitted, the speakers need to be powered somehow. Batteries have limited life and limited power capabilities. Most houses in the UK do not have power points all around the main rooms, and of course a wire raises its ugly head if you need a power point.

The advances in Class D amplifiers could change some of this because they are so efficient, which has benefits on battery life in the process. 802.11g is capable of full high resolution signal rates too. So the chances of wireless technology becoming useful are improving, but we're still a little way off yet.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us