Distance of speakers (Towers vs Bookshelves) from sweetspot

Username: Juggy_25

Post Number: 3
how much minimum distance is required from Floorstanders vs Bookshelves to appreciate quality music?
I stay in an apartment and get a maximum distance of 5-6 feet from the speakers to the sweet spot.
Will that be an overkill for Floorstanders(Towers)?

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 919
It depends on the floorstanders, it depends on the bookshelves. Sealed speakers, front ported, rear ported and a multitude of other factors will make a difference.

Are you looking for soundstage, depth, height, stereo imaging, etc.?

Do you speakers have wide dispersion, pinpoint dispersion?

No one can answer this question without more information about the room size, what's in it, what speakers you're looking at, what distance apart you can place the speakers, front or rear ported or sealed and I'm sure I've missed a few hundred other things.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8338

Ooh, ooh, ohh!!! I can answer!!!

If you only have five feet to separate the speakers, that will have to do; won't it?

If the apartment is that small, I would go with stand mounted speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3906
hm, 5-6 feet is pretty close to nearfield listening if I'm not mistaken. In your situation, I'd get bookshelves over floorstanders...preferably a sealed design so you can put the speakers close to the rear wall, and use a good 8-inch subwoofer for extra bass extension.

For example, a pair of Ascend HTM-200s with Hsu STF-1 sub, would run you just around $600, less if you buy b-stock.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3907
or if you don't mind rear-ported speakers, a pair of Onix XL-S bookshelves with the Onix X-subwoofer would be just $400. I'd take that combo over any $400 floorstanders any day.

You can add another X-sub for $600 total and get very even bass, esp. great for music.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8340

"Near field" listening refers to the distance from the speakers to the listener, not the distance between the speakers.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8341

JJ - I hate to point this out, but your post doesn't make things very clear. Are you telling us you can separate the speakers by five feet or you listen five feet away from the speakers but they can be spaced more widely than five feet apart?

Post Number: 4
The room is just 150 square feet.

The distance from where I sit to the Front speakers is 5-6 feet.
The distance between the 2 Front speakers is 6 feet.

I was lookin' at Towers initially, but i dont think thats gonna work out. My next option is the Wharfdale Diamond 9x bookshelves.

what disadvantages does "nearfield" listening have?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3908
The Diamonds are very nice, at least the 8.2s that I heard, which for most music are quite adequate without a subwoofer.

I think audioadvisor.com has the 9.2 for $350/pair.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8343

"what disadvantages does "nearfield" listening have?"

None, if your speakers work well in the near field. Most small speakers can do well at a short distance. Many floorstanding speakers can have problems. When you go to listen to the speakers, ask the salesperson if the speakers do well in the near field and ask to audition them in such a manner.

Silver Member
Username: Bvan

Cape Town, Copenhagen,...

Post Number: 147
i'm let to believe driver integration(if thats the term?) varies between brands and models. this from reading manuals. but i dont have a good mental picure of what is happening sonically if one sits closer than recommended distance.

i've speakers which the manufacturer recommends keeping a 1:1.1 - 1:1.3 distance of speaker-to-speaker:speaker-listener. and mentions a 6' starting distance.

i find nearfield vs farfield to be a big issue for me, one that has a massive bearing on presentation. i move my listning chair fairly often, sometimes preferring the action happening at arms-lenth, and sometimes prefering being immersed in it, especially for those special late night sessions . i also find better low level detail in the near field.

sorry, cant say if i think 5-6' is too close for your floorstanders. might just be a matter of personal preference.you might have to just go on what your ears are telling you.

cheers

b

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 898
In such a small listening space, a good stand-mount would be the more likely solution.
Driver integration in multi-driver systems is dependent on the implementation of the crossover. In a two-way system with a good crossover design you can be very close to the speaker with little driver locatability.
Then again, the whole issue can be avoided with a good single driver system.

Silver Member
Username: Shahrukhd

Mumbai, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 136
Juggy, it's best u stick with the standmounts buddy. The ones I had advised you about and then the Quads. But, for a newbie the 9.1 + Marantz combo rocks! Go to Prithvi in Cubbon Road - Absolute Phase - he'll be a big help. Refer me if need be!! :-)

Post Number: 6
Thanx a lot everyone.
I am now deciding on Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 or the Quad 12L.
Howz the Quad L-sub?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us