Pioneer VSX-1015TX or Panasonic XR55 ???

Username: Soundsgood

Post Number: 1
Hi guys,

I've heard tremendous things about both of these lower-priced receivers, but can't find either one hooked up anywhere to audition them. Has anyone here heard both? If so, can you please share your thoughts on which one you liked better, and why?

If it helps, here's what I'll be using:

* Speakers: Energy C-3 (all 3 front), Canton Sub, Polk ceiling speakers in rear.

* Listening Ratio: 90% HDTV & Movies, 10% Music.

* Immediate listening area is 14' x 14' but the room connects into the kitchen so probably around 30' x 14' total open space.

Also, I'm more concerned with sound than features (at this point, anyway). Better sound is a plus.

Which one do *you* think would be better for me? Pioneer VSX-1015TX or Panasonic XR55 ???

Thanks...

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7641
Sound preferences will be very different for different people.

The flaw here is that people who liked one or the other will not really be able to impart to your ears their preference.

If one person writes, "I like the Pioneer, it sounds better because...". And then another, "I like Panasonic because...". They may write better sound...but, what do YOU consider as better sound?

You will have to determine that for your self.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 852
Dane:

In my mind, there is no question that the Pioneer is the better unit. The Panny has its very vocal supporters here, but there is one reason why the Pioneer is the better choice--its warmer sound is a much better match for your Energy C-3s (a superb speaker for the money, BTW).

Additionally, the Pioneer has much better power, a better power supply, a better low end, and I think it is better built. That particular Pioneer is identical, for all intents and purposes, to the bottom end Pioneer Elite receiver, so it is built to a much higher standard than the Panny.

Good luck!

Post Number: 2
Excellent info, Hawk. Very helpful.

Thank you!

Post Number: 3
Hawk, just a follow-up question, if I may:

Based on my particulars (above), are there any receivers you'd recommend for me over the Pioneer 1015? Any that are an even *better* match for the C-3s, perhaps?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1228
Soon enough, their's going to be a guy around here who'll tell you that the Panasonic is better than anything under 2 or 3 grand. I didn't believe it. After hearing it for a few days in my home, I still don't believe it.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2310
Naw, I think Eddie has been convinced that the digital Panasonic is a passing fad.
However, it may be worth every 200 bucks you pay for a brand new piece of equipment.
If you are seeking a $200 piece of new equipment.

I spent more.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3900
Heh, see Nuck if you'd ever pull your head out of your @ss and read some OTHER audio forums for a change, you'd see that the OP has already posted the exact same question on AVS and you'd see that I had already suggested the Pioneer due to the C-3s being a tad on the bright side to begin with.

Oh well, I guess every village needs its idiot, usually someone who's never stepped foot in the great big world beyond that little boony-ville...heh!

Bronze Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 67
hehe u guys are cool :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2311
Thanks, Ed.
I think I see enough of the world as it is.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3165
Don't worry Nuck you aren't missing anything.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2316
Ed I took 85 airplanes last year and worked in 31 different cities between Newfoundland and Mexico City.
I appreciate your direction here, but you may wish to take a different tack.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3909
LOL I meant the world of Internet audio discussion boards...of which eCoustics is really an isolated little hamlet. duh!

Get out a little more, Nuck...at the very least you might stand to learn a few things and best of all, lose that provincial smart-@ssedness that more than one person has commented upon.

Bronze Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 70
tact

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3174
"I meant the world of Internet audio discussion boards..."

Like I said Nuck, you aren't missng anything.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1231
I second that one.

The only other one I care for is the Naim forum. I'm not registered their nor contribute. I read a little bit every now and again. It's a little one sided though, but for obvious reasons.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3176
I like some of the folks at AudioKarma I think I have a whole 23 posts there. That's where Kegger is. All in all I find that most internet audio forums are a vast wasteland of misinformation. It's like going to Best Buy for expert advice.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3910
I disagree. The beauty of a huge forum like AVS is that you are exposed to a vast diversity of viewpoints, experiences and opinions...as opposed to a chumfest where a handful of 6-10 regulars are constantly pushing the same party line and slapping each other's backs. Yes you do have to sift through all the chaff but overall you get a much fuller picture.

It's the difference between someone whose view of the world is based on reading the local newspaper, as opposed to someone to reads a dozen different newspapers and magazines (from all over the country and preferably all over the world).

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3177
Edster you feel like a chumfest of 6-10 regulars all by yourself....lol!

Many of us have tried the technology you push and don't like it. You keep speaking as though we're close minded because we don't like what you like. It just ain't so. I've probably heard more gear and had more variety relative to technology in my home than the average poster on any forum. I don't close my mind to it and I certainly admit when I'm wrong.

There appears to be as many technologies represented here among our regulars as anywhere else. None of us presently own a cheap digital switching receiver though several of us have tried them. So if that's your gripe I don't know what to tell you. Jan and others have experimented with T-amps and another forum regular is toying with the idea of putting his library on the computer. The difference here among our regulars and some other forums is the concern for sound quality and perhaps what is meant by sound quality. Many of our regulars are older than on other forums and many of us experience live music often. This ofcourse colors our idea of what a reference ought to be. It doesn't make us right but it may make us unique.

I firmly believe that our regulars are every bit as worldly as on most other forums and I speak from the experience of being a member though not a poster on almost every forum out there. Like every other community ours has a unique culture, you either enjoy it or you don't. At this this time I enjoy it.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1232
My problem is that most of them focus almost exclusively on home theater. Their are very few threads on AVS that talk about 2 channel, and when they come up, most people are still recommending H/T equipment like AVR's or multi format players. I also don't like the majority of gear that's discussed over their.

Audio Asylum has some good 2 channel info and people, but the mojority of gear discussed is way above what I can afford, and I don't like the way it's set up (user interface?).

If I had any interest in H/T, my views might be a little different. The majority of the people I converse with here are on the same page as me, even though we may have different opinions on some things.

Reading 100 different newspapers doesn't necessarily make you more informed. Reading the right ones in the right paper do. Once you've found that paper, the others may be worthy of reading an article or two.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1233
I missed your last post while I was typing mine Art. I agree with fully.

Post Number: 4
What has happened to my thread???!!!

;-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3911
Art,

on the contrary, I don't mind you or others sharing your own experiences with the Panny even if they are negative. What I do mind is the ridiculous assumption that just because YOU and a half-dozen others on this tiny little forum had a negative experience with it on whatever gear you heard it on, that it's therefore gospel that this is a terrible product and others should not try it for themselves.

(The above is especially key given the now-confirmed impedance-swings issue which largely explains why people with different speakers report radically different results with the Panny.)

From the outset, I have never pushed the Panny as the one-size-fits-all solution for every person, however I have advocated that people give it a try in their own systems since there is no other product on the market which has its potential bang-for-the-buck if they try it and like it...as has happened to countless users documented on AVS and other forums.

The tragedy is when a newbie comes only to eCoustics and reads the usual party-line consensus of a half dozen regulars here and imagines that to be the final word. If that newbie were to acquaint himself with a range of other audio forums he'd see that these half-dozen opinions are simply that...a half-dozen drops in the bucket, out of hundreds and hundreds of diverse and differing opinions, many of them from equally experienced and knowledgeable hobbyists.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3912
> My problem is that most of them focus almost exclusively on home theater. Their are very few threads on AVS that talk about 2 channel, and when they come up, most people are still recommending H/T equipment like AVR's or multi format players.

I would disagree. Yes there is a prevalence of HT over 2-channel discussion at AVS but there are plenty of 2-channel people too, you just have to dig a little to find them.

> I also don't like the majority of gear that's discussed over their.

Then don't read the threads extolling the merits of gear that you've heard and dislike.

> Reading 100 different newspapers doesn't necessarily make you more informed. Reading the right ones in the right paper do. Once you've found that paper, the others may be worthy of reading an article or two.

LOL that's the whole point...there is no such thing as the "right" paper. There might be one or two sources that you enjoy more than others but they will of course have their own inherent biases and limited perspective.

That's why it's essential to read widely, and that's why during the beginning of the first and second Gulf Wars the UK news sites like BBC and The Guardian reported massive spikes in hits from US users who were fed up with the homogenized corporate news from CNN/Faux/ABC, etc.

Personally I will occasionally skim through Matt Drudge and The National Review even though I'm a lifelong lefty...I see zero value in limiting myself to a choir that hearing the same tired preaching over and over.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3179
Ramble on Eddie....

Silver Member
Username: Eld

Texas

Post Number: 180
Soundsgood,

I think they both have their compromises. Listen to Berny.

Good luck.

Post Number: 5
For jeff mannoia:

Any chance you are related to Tom Mannoia from New York?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3913
Art,

I see that you have reverted to your past laziness in refusing to address my very simple points.

How disappointing. Maybe you've had a long week.

Post Number: 6
>> I think they both have their compromises. Listen to Berny.

Thanks, Eld. I was leaning towards the XR55, mostly due to the price. But several people seem to think that the XR55 is not a good match for my speakers (Energy C-3s), so I'll most likely get the 1015... or wait for the 1016 to come out.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3180
You bet Eddie, whatever you say. You're right ofcourse and as usual. My week was just fine and still is.

Like I said keep on yackin'. I said my piece on the subject and am done.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3914
LOL well you see, that's just it: this is not a question of who's "right" or "wrong."

This is simply a question of presenting the full picture of all available possibilities and letting each person make up their own minds based on what THEY hear and experience.

As opposed to imagining that YOUR or MY isolated individual experience with any specific product actually amounts to a hill of beans, and shoving that personal opinion down somebody else's throat while putting oneself on the clay pedestal of "highly experienced, certified audiophile authority"...what a joke!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3181
Yeah!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7691
Patience is a good thing:-)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3182
It is indeed Berny. Hopefully SoundsGood you will get the receiver that suits you. There are some very good reviews of AVR's this month in "The Perfect Vision". It also has a brief buyer's guide. Worth a look remembering that none of them are religion, just information.

Post Number: 7
I'll take a peek. Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Radio1_mike

Post Number: 11
I am one of those newbies who came in and asked questions about speakers and receivers. I have also joined some other forums like AVS and Klipsch and lurked at other sites like AudioReview. Several guys including Edster gave me advice.

I like this forum because my question was answered without rejuidice because of my budget, and the advice offered was not stilted.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7706
What did you end up getting, CW?

Post Number: 8
>> There are some very good reviews of AVR's this month in "The Perfect Vision".

They gave the Integra DTR-6.6 a GREAT review. Anyone have any personal opinions on this one?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2326
Edster922, you continually belittle this forum as being too small.
You also say that you visit many other forums as well.
Some of us like it here, you may not.
I cannot believe that your purpose in this life is to broaden the horizons of the poor denizens of ecoustics by suggesting I look around the globe for information that I, personally, do not require.
If I needed more information, I would find it.

I might recall your first 300 posts after discovering your beloved Panasonic product.
Maniacal.Tom Cruise on the couch like.

Do not NOT become ever observant, because we have all watched you evolve, and have seen your run-in's with other posters.

A word to the wise.

The britches is stretching, Edster922.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2330
And thanks Jeff, but I meant tack.
As how to present to a prevailing headwind.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7714
Sailing terms?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2335
Indeed, Berny.
Into a headwind, Ja?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3183
SoundsGood, one of my favorite dealers in Portland threw over Cambridge and Marantz receivers and swears by Integra. I think that it is well worth considering.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3915
Nuck,

Please, spare me the "love it or leave it" BS...a tired old shtick that is also very typical of small towns and villages I might add.

The only thing I belittle about this forum is the LITTLE-ness of people like you who increasingly act as though the collection of maybe 6-10 regular posters around here constitutes some kind of infallible audio authority...LOL!

As for my "first 300 posts" after discovering the Panny, I'll admit I was very enthusiastic and occasionally out to ruffle a few feathers. However, as I wrote to Art earlier, I have consistently presented it as a "try it and see if you like it" proposal based on my own and others' anecdotal experiences with it...unlike you I have never pretended to be in smug possesion of The Absolute Truth In Audio just because there might be what, 5 other anonymous posters in cyberspace who happened to agree with me.

It's this provincial, authoritarian horseshit that stinks to high heaven. On the other hand if you spend your whole life 24/7 inside a barn, I guess sooner or later it's inevitable that you probably stop noticing just how much it stinks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2338
As for my "first 300 posts" after discovering the Panny, I'll admit I was very enthusiastic and occasionally out to ruffle a few feathers. However, as I wrote to Art earlier, I have consistently presented it as a "try it and see if you like it" proposal based on my own and others' anecdotal experiences with it...unlike you I have never pretended to be in smug possesion of The Absolute Truth In Audio just because there might be what, 5 other anonymous posters in cyberspace who happened to agree with me.

Edster922, read that over again.Slowly.
I read a number of conflicts in there, particularly in light of your posting history.

Go ahead and chop away at my little town.
I told you how many places I go to work in, if you had the stamina to travel the way I do, you would enjoy a small town, too.

Post Number: 9
>> one of my favorite dealers in Portland threw over Cambridge and Marantz receivers and swears by Integra. I think that it is well worth considering.

Thanks, Art. I'm having trouble finding them anywhere online for sale. Anyone know where to buy (or just get street prices) on the Integra 6.6?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3916
> Go ahead and chop away at my little town.
I told you how many places I go to work in, if you had the stamina to travel the way I do, you would enjoy a small town, too.

LOL I love how you deliberately choose to obfuscate the figurative "small town" of a low-traffic Internet forum with your literal work life.

I stand by what I wrote 100%, past and present.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3185
The DTR 6.6 is about $1000. Integra has 2 models below which are very good as well. The 4.6 (5.1 receiver) retails at about $600. Both can be had for less. There is a 7.1 model in between the 2 I have mentioned. Have you checked the Integra dealer locator for your nearest dealer.

http://www.integrahometheater.com/line.cfm

http://integrahometheater.com/locator.cfm

Gold Member

Post Number: 2343
Then go somewhere else.
Over and out.

The reviews of the Integra have been very,very good.
Along with some Pioneer Elite models, I think Onkyo et al. should soon be made to pull up their socks.

Post Number: 10
Thanks again, Art. Which one would you say is similar to the Pioneer 1015? It seems the 1015 might be hard to beat, price-wise.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Well, I tried the Integra "Dealer Locator", but it only allows a Zip Code search within a certain radius -- and there are no dealers near me. :-(

Are these Integras sold online?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3187
If there is a city near you, use your phone book find the zip and put that one in. Using the dealer locator with my zip there isn't one either. But I happen to know the Portland dealer who is about twice the distance that the locator is useful for.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Well, if the Integras are only sold via a few, limited amount of dealers (and not online, to boot), the prices will be pretty high. Probably very close to retail. Therefore, they might be too expensive for me. Oh well...

If I can't find the Integras online at a lower price, it looks like I'm back to Pioneer. ;-)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3189
They are limited but not exclusive. Good luck with your system SoundsGood.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Perhaps I should go about this a different way...

Based on my setup (see original post at top) what receiver would you guys recommend for me? I'd rather keep it under $700, unless there's a real stand-out for a bit more.

Thanks in advance...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
PS -- I'm much more concerned with great sound than extra features.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3190
Integra DTR 5.6 (retails for $800 but can be had for less)
Marantz SR 5600
NAD T743

Just to name a few.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Thank you, Art.

I see the HK 635 can now be had for around $600. Would that one be a good match as well, in your opinion? or not so much?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3193
Yes it would SG. I had the pleasure of listening to an HK driving Energy's in Portland last year. They were good for each other. I wouldn't hesitate to put those 2 together. Keep in mind that the HK offers a nice warm sound. Some young folks don't think it throws out enough high end but if you like your music presented in punchy rhythmic way that won't make your ears bleed HK can do that for you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
>> Some young folks don't think it throws out enough high end...

Young folk? That ain't me, babe. ;-)

>> if you like your music presented in punchy rhythmic way that won't make your ears bleed HK can do that for you.

I've heard that HK is better with music, but I'm actually more concerned with movies & HDTV. Would the HK still be the better choice, or are the others (like the Pioneer 1015) better for HT?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Hey Berny,

Hmm. I got (in theory-- everything is still shipping...):
1) HK-135 Refurbished A/V Receiver ($221 shipped, HK @eBay)
2) Onkyo Refurbished DX-C390 6CD Changer ($135 shipped, eBay)
3) Athena ASB2.2s New ($198 shipped, AbesofMaine)
4) OmniMount Cosmic 24" stands New ($78 shipped, Buy.com
5) AR 6' Digital Coax + AR 30' 12gauge speaker wire New ($35 shipped, Buy.com)

I spent a little over my budget by getting the CD Changer. I was thinking about buying a digital receiver, but the only thing I could find available was the JVC RX-F10S at Overstock. The only other I will connect is my sub from my Klipsch 2.1s. I think I should be set as a beginner.

I am excited because this is the first setup I've had other than a 100W bookshelf Technics 3CD dual cassette system (ca. 1993), which I have not used in 3 years.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7728
Very nice....I hope you get it soon:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I hate waiting! :-)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3197
SG, HK's are great with movies and have a very good user interface. Good luck.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Great, thanks!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2370
Good set-up, SG.
I think you have though it out well, and only slightly over budget(funny how that happens).

Let us know, please!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Thanks, Nuck. So, you agree that the HK will be better, even with movies? The reason I ask is because I've heard that HK is better with music, but Pioneer is better with movies & HT. Yes? No?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3202
I'd rather have HK than Pioneer for any application, bar none.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Ok, thanks again.

Gold Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 1038
unfortunatly, there are some of us in here that treat certain recievers as they would if they were looking at a penthouse centerfold.

fap fap fap fap

:-P

Gold Member

Post Number: 3919
> I've heard that HK is better with music, but Pioneer is better with movies & HT.

A more accurate statement IMO would be that HK's superior sound quality would be much more noticeable during music listening. Remember that during HT 90% of your attention is focused on the screen, so you are unlikely to notice the subtle differences that become more obvious during serious music listening.

Just about any receiver with sufficient power and clarity for all of your speakers (assuming your speakers are not difficult loads) will be competent at HT, especially since your subwoofer will be handling all the power-sucking deep bass and your center channel carries 60% of the remaining soundtrack (dialogue).

Bronze Member
Username: Uback007

Post Number: 85
Edster,

What you wrote is SO TRUE...you bring up a very good point! I am in the market for gear..How would you classify the H/K sound? In comparison to NAD or Cambridge Audio?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3920
I've never heard Cambridge Audio stuff unfortunately, but I'd say that NAD is probably at least one notch above HK for sound quality. However it seems that NAD's multichannel gear is prone to more than its fair share of QC issues, and so is HK's to a lesser extent.

What's your HT/music usage ratio?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
70% music 30% music...
I see the DTR-2005 ($1799 list) is on special for about $600.00
This is so confusing! See my latest rant in my Cambridge 540R post in "receivers" here...https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/218948.html

Username: Tkc9789

Arlington, TX Usa

Post Number: 1
don't mean to hijack this thread. But I'm also trying to decide if the Pio 1015 or HK 340 is a better fit for my ORB Mod2s. I do 70% music and 30% movies. I don't have the luxury of having both receivers side by side for comparison. Appreciate any input from you experts out there.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3921
> 70% music 30% music...

I'm assuming you mean 100% music? lol

what speakers?

do you mean the HK DPR-2005? I thought I saw it for $500 somewhere, maybe jr.com a week or two ago.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
based on what I've heard with Pioneer stuff and the 1015 is basically a Pioneer Elite...they sound a bit "cold" if you like that you'll like the Pioneer, if you want something that is more lifelike and warm...definitely go with the H/K

Gold Member

Post Number: 3922
the 1015 is 90% identical to the entry-level Pioneer Elite, from what I've read.

Tom: for your Orbs I'd have doubts as to how much you'd really be able to tell the difference between those 2 receivers.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1042
if you think that pioneer elite recievers sound cold I would hate to think what your perception of neutral or warm is.

to most of us, we percieve pioneer elite as a little on the warm side.

to each his own though.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
when compared to H/K and NAD and Music Hall the Pioneer Elite came across in this listening room at store powering MA Silver RS6 - colder than a witched you know what...
Ice cold...I was so cold that I made the salesman turn on the NAD to warm me back up...we were listening to Princes' 2003 instrumental record...I was completly floored how the PE x72?? sounded..$1299 without the parka that you would need to wear to not have to have frostbite of the ears set-in - at which time they would then turn black and fall off and then you would have to walk around with no ears -people would say, "look, here comes the earless freak!"

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1055
hmmm...thats funny

because I like NAD gear, but would take Pioneer Elite hands down over H/K.

gotta think for a bit...probably after I wander off to bed...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us