Pioneer VSX1015 vs Marantz SR5600

Username: Yalej

Post Number: 1
Would like some advice/opinion on these receivers.

Primary use will be movies, music secondary.

My speakers:

era Design 4's (L,R,C)
B&W ASW600 Sub
B&W DM600S3 Surrounds

Thoughts/opinions?

Thanks

Username: Daltex1981

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 1
i can say that the 1015 is a awesome receiver and the Marantz is no slouch either but i would try the both of them!

Username: Bigpoppaphile

SAINT CLOUD, MN United States

Post Number: 9
I am in the hunt for a marantz receiver right now myself and just auditioned the 5600 the other day. The store had it paired with paradigm speakers (that was the only brand they sold) and I listened to the receiver on everything from floor standing to bookshelf paradigms. Compared to the integra receiver they had in the same price range I liked the marantz myself. Sounded very natural and open on vocals. As far as with your speakers, I am not familiar with how those sound, so my advice would be to try and listen to both receivers on the same speakers and compare.

Post Number: 2
Appreciate the advice guys. Looks like the Pioneer is on back order in most places, and the model itself is discontinued. So I may end up getting the Marantz.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 851
Dennis:

Both are good units. I don't think there is a lot of difference between them and you won't go wrong either way. I don't know your front three speakers, so I would suggest you take them in to the dealer and try them with the Marantz to be sure (or get an agreement for a home trial period).

That is disappointing news about the Pioneer being discontinued, though. I hope its replacement is as good.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3902
Discontinued, or phased out for a 1016 with maybe an extra one or two features? That's what these manufacturers usually do...

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3166
The Era speakers are very good though I would not use the sub standard B&W sub with them. The Era sub runs circles around it. I would also try to use Era rears if you can.

Neither receiver that you suggest does justice to the Era speakers but given the choice I would take the Marantz without hesitation.

Post Number: 3
Edster922: I guess it's going to be phased out and replaced with something else, don't know the new model number though.

Art: I understand your point, but unfortunately I have real world considerations that take precedence over ideal audio setups. I'm building the HT now, and there was really no way I could afford the Era sub (which I know is better) but was also $500 more than the B&W.

Considering I was originally planning on getting all JBL speakers, I think my setup is going to be decent, relatively speaking. Also, I'm moving from a 19" CRT with just built in speakers to a 50" plasma and 5.1 audio. It's going to be a quantum leap in terms of quality. Now at some point in the future I may upgrade components, but I just can't justify that kind of financial expenditure presently.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3167
Dennis have you considered 2.1 or 3.1 HT for awhile. It may be a way to get the better components without losing money in the trade up business later on. Perhaps an NAD T743 receiver (I know, I don't want to hear it Hawk...lol) with the Era sub and fronts (perhaps even the center now), then perhaps add the center and rears later. That way you lose no money later as you go to upgrade. Just a thought.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us