My memory.. Yamaha speaker match

Bronze Member
Username: Phrapp

Post Number: 13
I bought a Yamaha reciever, works for the time being. I have PSB's running on them right now but as I was told by one of you guys ,"they are bright"
My question is paradigm the best match for a Yamaha??
I have had Polk pimped to me how would they do as a match?
A top three speaker list would be great.

Oh and im either going to get bookshelf or sats.

thanks

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1219
PSB's aren't bright, Yamaha receivers are usually bright.

Why are you looking for a change? What are you trying to accomplish? Warmer sound? Brighter sound? More detail? Without knowing what you're looking for, it makes it difficult to accurately give you any direction.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 849
"B"

The issue is not if someone told you your system sounds bright. The real issue is do you think it sounds bright? Personally, I think the Yamaha/PSB combo is a good one because as Stu points out, the Yamahas tend to bright (lower end models under $1500), but the PSB speakers tend to be rather warm and laid back (just like Paradigms), so it is a combo that works rather well, in most cases. Everyone hears differently, a system I might like will not please everyone; conversely, I know of some systems that certain acquaintences have that I don't like at all. But, hey, if it floats their boat, then I say "Great!" The bottom line is that it is your money, so you need to get the system that pleases you and if someone else has a contrary opinion, then my belief is that they can criticize only if they are willing to buy you a new system.

So, to facilitate this discussion, what Yamaha do you have and what PSBs? We can make a more informed suggestions if we know which models you currently have.

Now, if you want bright, you'll get it if you buy Polks for a Yamaha receiver. Polks are fine speakers, but they are much more forward than PSBs, so the brightness of the receiver will literally "shine through." It is not a combo I would generally recommend.

Bronze Member
Username: Phrapp

Post Number: 14
Oh sorry,
I think I should give a little more info.

I have a Yamaha 5890 and PSB Image 2b's and a image subsonic 12" sub.

I have no real problem with the sound, it is good but "real clean" sounding if that makes sence?

I had an imfamous NAD that kicked the PSB's into high gear, but the NAD crapped out and so did the service, so I move on to a cheaper brand in Yamaha.

I love the PSB line but hate my local dealer he is a dolt, he took over for the guy I originally bought it them from, and since then if I am not buying new I get no help.

As I understand it too PSB is owned by NAD so they match as a system.

I just wanted to know if any other speakers could give me better if not par sound on my Yamaha compared to PSB.

thanks again

Bronze Member
Username: Gamerdude

Kitchener, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 14
This may sound newbesh but whne you say bright you mean good sounding?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7725
No.

Gold Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 1021
I myself can't judge on this, because the latest combos of yamahas that I have heard have been with paradgms, and they have been VERY smooth. The paradigms are a great match IMHO :-)

man...took me a while to proofread...lol

Bronze Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 21
Then what dos it mean? lol

Gold Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 1023
wow...sorry

I wrote that after I had a little to drink lol...

let me translate that...

Paradigms and yamahas are a great match. Older yamahas (especially the CD players) are terribly bright, but the more I am around the recievers, I realise that they have improved.

I would definatly reccomend pairing a yamaha reciever with paradigms, psbs, or other canadian speakers. Honestly, the only speakers within reason that I wouldn't pair with a yamaha is klipsch, axiom, or other speakers of the like that have a similar bright and forward sound.

I was at tweeter this past summer and heard a yamaha intergrated (forgot the number) and I had the rep hook up to a pair of ML clarities for kicks. I was slack jawed.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1235
I'm still trying to figure out what the OP is trying to change, sound wise.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us