What's Everyone's Take On The Cambridge Receiver 540R

Bronze Member
Username: Uback007

Post Number: 57
What do you all think about the Cambridge AZUR 540R A/V receiver? I saw one for $399.00 refurbed and was wondering if its a good unit for the money?
I know Nuck, Rotel :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
anyone? anyone? Bueller?

Bronze Member
Username: Rjw1138

Regina, SK Canada

Post Number: 19
Well, I don't have any personal experience with the 540R, but if you're in the market for a receiver at that price point, and it has all the features that you want, then why not? I'll bet it's probably the best-sounding you can get for that much moolah. That's a heck of a price reduction.

Bronze Member
Username: Alphabet

Cape TownSouth Africa

Post Number: 70
I have a CA540R which I have had for about a year and honestly for the price(or even 3 times more) I have not heard better sound quality in both stereo and HT.

I had two Yamahas before this, RX-V450 and RX-V650 and they did not come close, particularly in stereo.

If you however are looking for bells and whistles, forget it as the CA is a no-nonsense, straightforward receiver.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
I have it narrowed down to the CA 540R and NAD T743 ....I can pick up the 540R for $399.00 and the NAD for $499.00....Such a hard decision as no one store has both to be able to A-B them to each other.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3159
We had a store that had both before they quit carrying the Cambridge receivers (they still carry other Cambridge gear) due to reliability issues. I personally wouldn't buy either due to either reliability or hiss, but given the choice I'd take the NAD.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
thanks art!
I think thats the direction Im going to go.. I like the sound of the NAD stuff a lot...
Great bang for the buck!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
Because I have a "due-diligence" problem I have now added the HK stuff to the mix...
Based on what I have learned, however, going the HK route may not be a good match to my Paradigm Titans? Not sure
I keep on flip-flopping...now I'm back to the CA 540R again, as well...$399.00 but saw the HK stuff yesterday while looking at Plasma at circuit city....
God I'm making way too big a deal about this...I have actually dreamed about this over the last month....
anyway.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3200
Make it simple UB, go for the T743. It should make the Titans sing. Now go and get it so you can start enjoying it. Good luck and good listening.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2371
UB, what is the music/movie ratio?
can we call it m/m?
I might suggest a tryout with outlaw, depending on your choice.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2372
I missed the last line of your OP, sorry, UB.
I only tout my own Rotel, I surely do not mean to recommend the brand too often.
Do I?

I figgur that Cambridge should be on your shelf, PDQ.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3203
Nuck, the Cambridge receivers have seen more QC issues than any of the NAD's. The T743 has the least QC issues of any of the NAD's, seems like an easy choice....ofcourse Rotel would be a better choice but at a much higher price.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
More music. Actually in the current configuration of my listening room which is my living room, it will be hard to eventually incorporate surrounds. There is a place for a sub, however. I found the v1 540r for $399 and have read great things about it...it has more power than the 743 ( I don't think CA like NAD plays the Power rating game like others)
I'm saving 100 bucks over the $499 743 and I like the silver appearance (call me vain) of the CA stuff... I would love to be able to have a switch box that would allow me to compare all of these units in the same sitting..

Maybe I should go back to considering integrated amp 2 channel and forego for the A/V route...I can always plug the dvd and stuff in the 2 channel and watch movies that way...wife can care less. I guess the reason I am even considering an AVR is future scalability...
Nuck,
Outlaw 1070 was on my shortlist, however the price at $899 is a bit steep for me...I am currently unemployed.! (thats another story altogether) So I am trying to squeeze together the absolute best sounding kit possible for the money. If I could obtain some type of int. amp or AVR combined with a good sounding DVD or CD player...and get out for $600 - I would be happy..

This is such a confusing process! I can't frickin' make up my mind and just go with something...I have completely convaluted this process!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
help!!! :-)
I'm hyperventilating!
Someone throw me a paper bag!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
Hawk!!!
Where are you?? I'm using you as my lifeline!!

Bronze Member

Cape TownSouth Africa

Post Number: 72
UB, you mention that the CA has a higher power rating than the NAD and I can vouch for that - its true figures.

It is a difficult choice to make between NAD and CA as the sound is fairly similiar with the CA perhaps stronger on mids and highs than the NAD.

As far as reliability is concerned, my only comment is that I have not had any problems with my CA after a year, but I have seen two or three posts of guys having problems although it seemed to be with the pre 2004 firmware.

Even if you can't do an A/B audition, you should be able to get a good idea of the differences in sound.

I am not saying go for CA, but after doing a side by side comparison with my CA, HK235, Yamaha 657 and Denon 2805 this weekend, I know which one gives me the best SQ, power and value for money :-) The CA off course.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
Here's what I'm looking at the "Azur Deal" from Spearitsound.com
Here's the link: http://www.spearitsound.com/Cambridge_Audio/cambridge_audio_specials.asp

Bronze Member

Cape TownSouth Africa

Post Number: 73
Its a good price, exspecially if you get the 540D player as well.

Bronze Member

Cape TownSouth Africa

Post Number: 74
I forgot to ask, but what speakers are you thinking of using?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
I have Paradigm Titans v.4

Bronze Member

Cape TownSouth Africa

Post Number: 75
I have never heard the Titans, but from the reviews I found after a quick search, they appear to pair well with HK and CA receivers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
really? I would love to read what you found :-)
After reading what you said with the comparison you did- I have pretty much ruled-out H/K

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
What about straight 2-channel listening, Abe?
I found this review excerpt that said its' stereo performance was not so great...
It's an exciting listen and is a great choice if you enjoy lots of gung-ho movie-watching. Effects bash out and this machine maintains the Azur range's reputation for firm lower frequencies and a good midrange. Yes, there is a touch of brightness when pushed, but that's not unusual at this price range. It does benefit from a decent warm-up, however, and leaving it switched on keeps that treble as pure as possible.
Effects-panning isn't quite up to its best rivals, though, and it doesn't have quite the accuracy or speed of the Sony. You still get bags of fun from soundtracks, but overall sonic placement is a touch inelegant. Nor is it spectacular with stereo tunes, but not many budget AV amps are. This is a great value for money receiver that, knowing Richer Sounds (its exclusive dealer), will be available in bargain bundles, making it an even better buy. Well worth its four stars."

Bronze Member

Cape TownSouth Africa

Post Number: 76
Yeah I have read this review and a few others and they all differ. The consensus does seem to be that at the price you don't get better sound quality.

I have always been impressed with the stereo performance of the 540R(not because I have one, but because I have auditioned a number of AV receivers in stereo mode before deciding, Sony(crap), Yamaha(below 1500 nothing to speak of), Denon(lacking power and drive), Pioneer(No, No, No!), Marantz(quite good), Rotel(Liked it, but too expensive at the time, Naim(too expensive).

Bottom line, I like the CA, but your ears must decide, not the reviewers or me :-)

I can't remember where I found the reviews about your speakers and CA, but here are some others:

http://audioholics.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/main-speaker/Paradigm/PRD_121039 _1594crx.aspx#reviews

Bronze Member

Cape TownSouth Africa

Post Number: 77
I have also decided to buy a dedicated CD player to improve stereo playback even more. Probably CA 640C as although a DVD player can play CDs, a decent CD player will always be superior :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us