PC speakers directly to audio receiver?

Username: Tglennt

New York, New York USA

Post Number: 1
I have a couple of discarded sets of PC speakers as well as two discarded audio receivers. I want to add music to other rooms in my house. I would like to avoid buying new speakers.

Can someone tell me if in general it's possible to connect PC speakers to audio receivers? Thanks.

Tom

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 894
In general, yes.
Assuming you mean the typical powered PC speakers in little plastic boxes, you would need to modify them to bypass the built-in amp found in most. If they are two-way speakers you'll need to run a wire from the input of the XO to the receiver. If they are single driver speakers you could connect directly to the input terminals of the drivers.
Another option would be to use an adapter on the headphone jack (assuming there is one) of the receiver and plug the PC speakers into that. In either case it probably won't sound very good but if all you're trying to do is break the silence it might work for you.

Username: Tglennt

New York, New York USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the information.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2919
Use one of the RCA outputs from the receivers (Tape out, CDR out) and buy an RCA-headphone adaptor. You might need to modify the two headphone jacks to fit together (as in cutting the cord up and resoldering the wires) because they will most likely be two male adaptors. The second suggestion in the post above yours would work too.

If you bypass the built-in amplification of the speakers you'll blow them. They can't handle more than 5-10watts!

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 895
"If you bypass the built-in amplification of the speakers you'll blow them. They can't handle more than 5-10watts!"

Wouldn't that depend on how high the volume is?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2920
Certainly, but with those parameters, you probably wouldn't be able to turn it more than quarter of the way up.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us