Harman Kardon AVR 335 as preamp?

Username: Dcor

Post Number: 1
I currently use an HK AVR 335 I got cheap from Cosco. I have a few months left before the one year return anniversary comes around. Currently I use Paradigm Studio 20s for mains, Paradigm CC370 for centers (reference CC450s dont fit in those damn DLP TV stands...). Eventually I would like to get Studio 40/60 or 100s for mains (and move the studio 20s to rear) when I transfer to a larger HT room. I have been considering separates, and a friend suggested that I keep the HK receiver and use it as a preamp as I upgrade my system. My thought is to get an amp to power the mains first as this was really for the stereo listening part of my system. I have not seen anyone in the forum who has discussed this. Therefore I am wondering if anyone can offer some opinion to this approach, or anyone who has tried an HK AVR as preamp and xxx brand amp and what the outcome was.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2284
Hi David.
I use a H/K55 as pre and added a Rotel985 5ch power amp for fun.
The 55 is a very good receiver and can power my Psb Silver towers very well.
When I added the Rotel 985(800$CDN) I got more than I expected.
More power, yes, but I think marginally more(the Psb's are power hungry and have an unconventional impedence curve).
However, I found a lot of, say'speed' with the new amp.
I have recently added a Rotel cdp, but that is away from your Q.

I recommend the Rotel 985, and it should be widely available.
If not that model, I cannot vouch for any others.

PS. The Rotel absolutely smoked the XO's in the Psb's, Solid, hard hitting power.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us