Impedance mismatches and other speaker issues

Username: Sriram

Post Number: 1
Hi All,

I am looking to buy the Wharfdale Diamond 9.6s and a receiver that I have not decided upon. The impedance rating on the speakers are 6 ohms. I see that most ratings on receivers is 8ohms. Is this mismatch something that I need to be concerned about. If the receivers has 'Low impedance drive capabilty', will it help me circumnavigate the issue.

While at this any suggestion on receivers in the 600$ - 1000$ range that blend well with the Wharfdales would be very helpful.

Thanks and Cheers
Sriram

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3869
Harman Kardon 635, $630 shipped from vanns.com should handle them easily, if you're looking for a surround receiver.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7555
I highly recommend the Outlaw Audio 1070

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/1070.html

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 809
I personally would recommend a Marantz SR5600 or SR7500, either of which is a good match for your speakers and within your price range. Wharfdale Diamond 9 series is pretty forward sounding speaker, as I recall, and a receiver/amp with a little more laid back, warm sound would be the best match, IMO.

Username: Sriram

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your inputs, I have a few more queries..

1. what exactly does forward sounding speakers mean.
2. Warm tones are what i am looking for, so what are your comments about Denon AVR 3806 or the AVR 2807?

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3872
1. music sounds like it's coming from the front of the speakers, as opposed to from behind the speakers ("laid-back")..."forward" is usually associated with "bright" but not by definition

2. Denon is not known for "warmth"---that would be Pioneer Elite, Marantz, and to some degree Harman Kardon.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2224
As opposed to 'thin' which may include Yamaha, Denon or Onkyo.
Thin would mead lean, no weight, regardless of the program or frequency response.

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 829
Nuck is right. "Thin" is the result of using crappy power supplies . . .Yamaha, Denon and Onkyo are the worst offenders (the "ususal suspects").

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 830
Oops, that's "usual suspests."

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 831
Oops, that should be "usual suspects."

Gold Member
Username: Nuck