Is there any way to determine if a cartridge is ready to go?

Username: Michaelwsherman

Allston, MA USA

Post Number: 5
To all who know more than I do:

I recently acquired a Technics SL-B20 off Ebay (dumb, I know). I got myself a nice little phono preamp, and finally got some sound out thanks to the help of a member of this board. Thanks!

The setup sounds lovely, and I'm greatly enjoying it, but one thing worries me. Should I get a new cartridge?

The Turntable is from the 80s, and I'm guess the cartridge hasn't been replaced since then. It's a Stanton, but I have no idea what model. The player itself was in pretty good condition, and looks like it wasn't used much in its heyday. But it's definately old.

So should I buy a new cartridge? Since it's used, there's a good chance the stylus has seen some wear, but things sound OK. Do I run a risk of damaging records playing them with an old stylus? Is there any way to tell if a cartridge is done aside from small changes in the audio playback which I'm sure a novice like myself wont hear?

Should I just assume the worse, bite the bullet, and buy a new one, just in case this one is junk? If that's the case, any recommendations for a good cheap cartridge?

Thanks for reading.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8294

Cartridges don't really wear out. The working mechanism inside a cartridge amounts to some magnets and some coils. As long as the magnets retain their strength, which is most probable, there should be no electrical problems with a cartridge.

A Stanton cartridge has a replaceable stylus. As long as the stylus assembly is still available from Stanton, you need only replace the parts that actually wear or break down - the stylus and cantilever suspension. If, however, you want a different cartridge, you can replace the Stanton with any number of cartridges that are more contemporary. You will have to replace the cartidge and do the set up yourself in all likelyhood. If you're up to the task, you can consider a new cartridge.

Bronze Member
Username: Nottingham365

MA USA

Post Number: 22
Michael,

Some technicians use a microscope to inspect the stylus for wear.

Several cartridges and replacement styli, including Stanton, are available from these two sources:

http://www.needledoctor.com

http://www.stereoneedles.com

If you buy a cartridge or stylus from a dealer or have the turntable tuned up, the dealer will probably handle the installation for you. It might make sense to have the turntable tuned up so that it is operating at its best.

I don't know enough about cartridges to recommend any for your turntable but a representative at the websites above or a dealer could suggest some low cost options. I believe Audio Technica offers several low cost cartridges.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us