Yamaha Klipsch Combo

Username: Molsonman

Post Number: 1
I was wondering if someone could help me decide on this system combo. I am unable to demo it. keep in mind that I used to have the Bose Lifestyle 18 and I thought it was fairly good. Would this combo be better?

Yamaha RX-V1600 Receiver with Klipsch Synergy Quintet III Series Speakers

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 984
DO NOT pair yamaha with klipsch!!!

it will drill your ears out!!! way too bright!!!

what are you looking for?
how big is your room?
what kind of music do you listen to?
what kind of movies do you like?

don't just buy something because you are itching to. you will be unhappy in the end.

Post Number: 2
Our room is about 17 x 15 feet.
We listen to Classic rock and some dance music.
We love all types of movies, especially action and horror.
The yamaha is already purchsed so I guess I just need a good speaker to fit with it?

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 988
have you ever heard of Paradigm? They go very well with Yamaha recievers.

I myself own a pair of their speakers, and am a huge fan. They make models in all price ranges and quality levels.

here is the dealer locator. I would reccomend that you go to a Paradigm dealer to hear the speakers for yourself.

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/Dealers/Dealers.html

Keep in mind, Paradigm is only one of the many speaker brands on the market today. You have many more options than just this. I wanted to give you a starting point that I know will work well with your reciever.

Post Number: 3
Great. Thanks for your help Gavin, much appreciated. It is so hard because there are so many choices. I have been looking at the Ascend and Axiom sites. I will have a look at the Paradigm site now.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 991
Axiom is very bright, stay away from those.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3861
Ascend would go well with Yamaha, neutral and easy to drive, not to mention outstanding bang for the buck.

I ditto Gavin on the Axioms.

Post Number: 4
I have checked out the Ascend site and like what I see. Now I just need to hear them. I have Paradigm dealer close to me so I will check that out as well. Thanks for all your help guys...much appreciated for helping me get on the right path!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 995
ask art what he thinks of ascend...hehehehe

I second his opinions.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3867
Gavin,

I don't recall your ever hearing the Ascends for yourself...when did that happen? Details, please!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3103
Now, Gavin I do think that the Ascend 170's represent a good value. I don't think that they are in the same league with the Studio 20's but then again they cost far less. They are however competitive with say the Mini Monitor. The Ascend is more neutral and has the NHT like sounstage where the Mini would have a bit more midrange bloom and considerably more bass without sounding bloated.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1003
Ive just kept my opinions to myself...

I just found them kind of boxy sounding. It was possibly my amplification (rotel) or my room, so I didn't comment on the sound. The room that I auditioned them in at home is also a tad bright, so there is a wannabe oriental rug in the middle of the room.

Mind you, eddie, I compared these to my maggies...

I thought they sounded closed in, like the sound was eminating from two speaker boxes.

I still reccomend them to people because there are so many people that DO like them, and they had decent sound quality, but they just did not image well in MY room. Just because they didn't work well for ME doesn't mean they won't work well for others :-)

I won't hesitate to check them out again in the future once I move or change my equipment just to be sure it wasnt me.

I don't think they will steal a sale away from a pair of Paradigm S2's though :-)

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1004
this is in reference to the 170's

Gold Member

Post Number: 3871
> Mind you, eddie, I compared these to my maggies...

LOL, I think you ought to include this in parenthesis everytime you bring up the subject.

Actually I kind of know what you mean about the 170s, I've ABed them with the 340s and noticed the effect of the 340s' extra mid-woof but especially the 340s' different, wide-dispersion tweeter. At moderate volumes the sound is a lot fuller, wider soundstage on the 340s but the 170s stay a tad bit flatter above 90-95db...just a tad though.

Haven't heard the new SEs yet though, their new SEAS drivers are supposed to be a little warmer with more bass extension.

Price-wise however, I have yet to hear a $350 or even $500 retail bookshelf that bested the 170s.

Post Number: 5
Thanks for the help guys.

I decided to go with the Paradigm Cinema 110 CT speakers (due to cost factors and keeping my wife).
This will be paired up with the Yamaha RX-V1600 Receiver. My room is actually smaller than I thought, only 12 x 10 so hopefully I will get a good result with this combo.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us