Getting Setup

Username: Swordfish

Fort Lauderdale, FL US

Post Number: 1
Hey Guys, just moved into a new house and am starting to buy my audio equpment that will later be used for my home theatre.

I have a hard drive with over 200 gigs of music that I have collected over the years. I am best to put my favorites on my ipod and plug into a reciever?

Or should I setup a computer to run this harddrive and network into a receiever?

Which reciever and speakers do you recommend to get me started. I have been considering the Yamaha HTR-5860.

The TV i plan to get is the samsugn rear projection 67 inch.

Thanks for the help... I'll be posting pictures as I get her up and running.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7515
That's a pretty nice receiver. Consider also the Pioneer VSX 1015. What is your budget on speakers?

Fort Lauderdale, FL US

Post Number: 2
Somewhere around $300-$600 for the speakers, I'm trying to get the sound part of the room for $1000 or so.

How are you guys loading all your mp3's to the system?

Fort Lauderdale, FL US

Post Number: 3
I like the pioneer alot. I"m going to see if I can get best buy to match a price of $380 that I foudn line.

What speakers do you recommend.

What about the mp3's?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7520
$600 for surround sound or for just a pair up front?

I would not connect a computer to the receiver. It can be done and plenty of PCs are now made as Media Centers, but the inherent noise due to the power supplies of the differing equipment is looming constantly. It is a personal thing so, do it if you are so inclined. If you want, just get the cable outputs for your iPod in to the receiver. I just do not like the idea of the computer too close to my audio and video equipment. You can also burn the MP3s onto a DVD.

I am not too fond of MP3 music unless it is on my PC. They just do not sound very good.

Fort Lauderdale, FL US

Post Number: 4
up to $600 for my front speakers, but I would lik to have the center subwoofer also for the TV in that price.

I'll stick with plugging my ipod into the receiever.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7525
Check out Ascend Acoustics or Athena.

http://www.athenaspeakers.com/

Fort Lauderdale, FL US

Post Number: 5
I like the ascend speakers. they are getting good ratings eh?

My living room is about 17 x 10, I'm not looking to go loud but for quality.

Do you recommend I go with the cheaper models?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7527
All those models are good and it doesn't matter which ones you get, you'll get quality either way. The 340 or 170 should fit your needs.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3851
mike,

for $600 for all 3 front speakers, a pair of Ascend 170s with 340 center should work perfectly.

If your receiver is around $300-400 I'd look at Harman Audio on eBay for authorized HK refurbs with full HK warranty, you should be able to get a 235 or 335 for that price.

You can also call Ascend and ask what they can do for you in that price range since they also carry HK receivers and would roll it into a package price if you order their speakers with it.

Fort Lauderdale, FL US

Post Number: 6
thanks for the advice, I'll check that out.

Where do you guys put your center speaker?

I'll have a 56+ rear projection and then the 2 front speakers to each side, but my tv stand doesn't anywhere to mount the center...

Any pictures I can see?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us