Marantz vs. Rotel Pre/Pros? Need Help!!!

Username: Excetara2

Post Number: 6
Basically I am deciding to go with a newer Rotel the 976 which has digital inputs, which I need. This is for a 2ch stereo system only. Or I am going to go with a Rotel 980 and get a Marantz DP870 which is there digital processor to use as a DAC into the 980. Both of these will be for 2ch music. I am wondering which will sound better. THe 980 was more expensive but is a lot older. Any opinions would help. Thanks.

Username: Kevin_h_wallen

Woodbury, MN

Post Number: 2
If you are looking for stereo than why do you need digital? I may be mistaken but I am pretty sure that stereo systems do not need digital because they do not use digital processing. There are some very nice sounding Rotel stereo amp/preamp combos.

Post Number: 7
The reason I need it because I heard that soundcards that act as DAC's in computers won't sound nearly as good as if you take the digital out from the computer. and pluc it into an external reciever or DAC.) this is how I will play my music half the time.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 812
Jeff:

I think you are saying you want to stream audio from your computer to your audio system. I think from a general standpoint, it is fair to say the DACs in a good AVR or pre/pro will do a better job than most computer soundcards, but not always. I have seen some rather incredible soundcards in the last couple of years. . .

Digital streaming from your computer is possible only if you are sending the data to a digital input into an AVR or pre/pro. This is no different than a CD player using a digital coax or toslink input on an AVR. Do you have either a digital coax or toslink output from your computer? If so, you are in business. If not, you are left with the analog outputs which easily connect to any stereo amp through a high level input using RCA connectors at the amp end and a 3.5mm stereo plug at the computer end.

So your question is whether to go with one box (the Rotel 976 pre/pro) or two (the Marantz 870 with a Rotel 980). My question is why would you ever add a layer of extra processing? Two boxes mean that the signal is processed twice (once by the Marantz to concert the signal from Digital to analog, and then through interconnects and analog ports to a stereo preamp to raise the signal level) before it even gets to the power amp. You are making the system unnecessarily complicated, and introducing steps where problem could occur. I think the Rotel 976 solution is much cleaner and better.

BTW, when talking about Rotel products, it really is necessary to use the letters that preceed to the model numbers. There are a lot of Rotel 980 products, but only the RCA tells you it is a stereo pre-amp and not the digital pre/pro as in the RSP-980, or the RB-980 power amp. Cuts down on confusion, if you see what I mean . . .

Post Number: 8
k. Sounds good. That is the route I will probably take. What about instead of the Marantz just getting a DAC. I have seen used ENtec's in my price range. Then using that into the 980. Or would this still not be as good a idea as going straight in. Thanks.

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 820
Your losing me again, Jeff. Let me see if I understand this--you want to get a DAC to go into a pre/pro with DACs? Why?

Post Number: 9
No, I was thinking instead of spending 500 on the Rotel Rsp-985 (that has DACS). I would spend 200 on a Rotel Rsp-980 and spend that extra 300 on an external dac. The best one I can find for 300. Then plug this into the Rotel RSP-980 which doesn't have dacs (or you can do stereo pass through.) Now I am thinking this would probably be the best option. What do you think?

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 822
Six of one and half a dozen of the other. It works

Post Number: 10
Not sure what that means.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help