What do u think of the Sony STRDG600 7.1 Channel AV Receiver

Bronze Member
Username: Silas92

Post Number: 21
Hey guy's i need your opinions on the Sony STRDG600 7.1 Channel AV Receiver? pros's, cons's etc......

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3828
Sony TVs = good

Sony digital cameras & camcorders = good

Sony home & car audio = bad

Sony computers = bad

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Well im only a beginer, but do u think it is best to wait for a panny xr57? or maybe an onkyo?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3829
Definitely the Panny if sound quality is your top priority...unfortunately the xr57's release date keeps getting pushed back, I'm hearing June now whereas a few months ago they were saying mid-April.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
what extra features will the xr57 have over the xr55? All i no of is that it will have some hdmi input and cost alot more?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3830
yep it's just HDMI, plus the ability to dual-amp in 5.1 mode. Don't think it'll cost more than perhaps $50 extra street price. If you can find an xr55 now I'd jump on it, some people check Amazon 3-4 times a day because as soon as they get a handful they're quickly gone.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3831
I would also be curious to hear the Pioneer Elite EX-500 digital receiver.

Have never heard of PE ever putting out a bad product. You could sell the DVD-P if you already have a player, that'd bring the cost down even more.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Thank's, so what do u think of this setup panny xr55 /xr57 if i can get hold of 1, and a set of jbl SCS145.5 or do u think i should get the scs180.6 package which is a tad bit more? (will the extra speaker make much differance?)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3832
if you don't use it for music listening it should be ok except for the subwoofer of course which will undoubtedly suck the most, but hey that's a $200 5.1 package so you get what you pay for.

Personally I'd buy 2 decent L/R speakers and slowly build up the rest of the system over time, the $200/pair Onix XL-S speakers come to mind.

Or you could buy 3 pairs of Polk R15s from Fry's (they're on sale for $40/pair through tomorrow if I'm not mistaken) and add a Dayton 10 or 12" sub for $100-150 if you absolutely must have everything right now.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Thanx,Well my room is tiny!!! im not joing its small, so do you think if i buy an expensive,loud,flashy speaker that it will make much differance? At 14 im no audiophile but i no good sound when i hear it!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
What do u think of the infinity Total Solutions TSS-450? is it better than the jbl setup? i can get it for $240 which seem's very reasonable.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 951
"Sony TVs = good

Sony digital cameras & camcorders = good

Sony home & car audio = bad

Sony computers = bad"

I disagree

Sony TVs = Overpriced for what you get

Sony digital cameras & camcorders = QC issues on the higher end lines

Sony home & car audio = really bad from sound to QC.

Sony computers = not bad, but overpriced for what you get

Gold Member

Post Number: 3834
well I'd take the Infinity sat system over the JBL one, but I'd take the Polk/Dayton setup over both of them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
But the Polk/Dayton costs alot more!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3835
3 x 40 = $120 + $140 = $260

It's worth the extra $60.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3836
> Sony computers = not bad, but overpriced for what you get

According to a number of computer techies I know, Sony and HP computers have the highest repair rates, esp. the Sony notebooks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 952
Laptops possibly. Their desktops are ok and fairly intriguing if you are really into A/V stuf, but again they are overpriced.

Bronze Member
Username: Uback007

Post Number: 43
as they said in the hilarious film, CRAZY PEOPLE: "Sony...Boney"
No, I like their TV's...but that's about it

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Lol ive never been a fan of sony, the only sony things i will ever own are psp and ps3 ie: game consoles!!! there tv's are ok but id rather have say a sharp aquas lcd over a sony any day.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
What polk speaker can you get for $40? (whats the model number)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3837
R15...but today's the last day, and it's only at Fry's Electronics...so RUN!

Sometimes Circuit City will have them on sale for about $50/pair too. You can check out Fry's website, outpost.com though they often have different prices than in-store.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
How about, its a little out of my price range but: Athena micra 6 for $300 they have good reviews? Oh yeh and with my room being 16x9, is there any point of using 7.1 say in the futre?

Silver Member

Post Number: 953
Honestly I would be a pioneer commercial monitors over anything else. That is if I could afford them.

Sorry Silas don't mean to steal your thread.

Silver Member

Post Number: 954
I meant buy of course, not be.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
lol, no worries can any 1 awnser me question??? it means a great deal.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3838
The Micra6 should be quite competent for HT and definitely better than the JBL system, just don't expect anything stellar for music.

As for your other question, I can't see 5.1 ever losing its dominance any time soon.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
So shall i buy one of those fancy 7.1 receiver (xr55) or could i get a cheap 5.1 receiver!!! if so recomend me a 5.1 receiver (cheap), thanx

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
he guys what do u think of this receiver?

Pioneer VSX-516-K 100 Watt x 7 A/V Receiver in Black

i can get it for $205 shipped!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Then if I get the athena micra 6 and the pioneer it comes to $500. slightly more than expected but i think its a good deal!!! if not plz tell me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Does any 1 know how good the speaker wire is on the athena micra 6? will i have to buy thata monster cable stuff?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3841
MonsterCable? LOL!!!

Here's a short but very incisive article, "The Ten Biggest Lies In Audio" by Peter Aczmel that's worth reading even if you don't agree with everything he says:

http://www.theaudiocritic.com/cwo/Sample_Articles/?id=5

A friend of mine has the Pioneer 515, it's pretty sucky. I'd try that Pioneer Elite reciever/DVD combo that I linked to for $240 shipped, it will be less than that if you decide to eBay the DVD/universal player.

Silver Member

Post Number: 959
Athena's come with speaker wire? I've never heard of any good speakers coming with speaker wires unless you were talking about HTIB stuff. How do they know what length and guage you need? Or do they send you a coil?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Has the pioneer elite got as many functions as the pioner i stated? Oh does any 1 know if blu-ray will be, 5.1,6.1 or 7.1 because the ps3 has blu ray so i was wandering if it would be 7.1, then i might question myself to buy a 7.1 receiver!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Are mp3's encoded in 5.1?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
The pioneer elite has bad reviews??? are refurb onkyo's any good??? i can get 1 for $199 its a TX-SR503!!! any opinions??? ???lol!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3843
where does the PE have bad reviews?

don't even think about blu-ray at your $200 pricepoint, lol.

The Onkyo 503 isn't bad for $200, look at ecost.com for refurbs --- but at that price I'd take a digital receiver. Do a pricegrabber.com search for the Onkyo 552, if you can get it for under $200 that wouldn't be too bad.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Lol ps3 has blu-ray and will be $500 so **** u!!! lol that's why I dont want to spend to much on a home theater, but i still want it to sound good?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Oh the bad review's are on froogle (google.com)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3846
links to the bad reviews, pls.

PS3 is a POS, sorry.

: )

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Not funny, ps3 rules!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3849
you need to click on the links and read more closely. The only bad review from audioreview.com was caused by the guy buying the system WITH the Pioneer HTIB speakers which predictably suck being cheap-@ss little sats. He writes that when he hooked the receiver up to his Polk normal speakers it was much better.

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/home-video/dvd-players/pioneer-elite/PRD_289344_1 587crx.aspx

The other review, from nextag.com is actually favorable if you click on the little blue link, dunno why froogle displays it as a one-star review when the nextag full review gives it 4 or 5 stars.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3850
oops my bad the second bad review is actually just a one-sentence review on the nextag site, which says only "good quality" ... lol!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Sh1t calmb down, ok ok so maybe it is pretty good but im still not convinced, and i dont need a dvd player? when there's !!!PS3!!! wich is amazing cus it has blu-ray for $500. I think ill w8 for the xr57.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3852
atta boy...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
Thanks for the advice but i realy am a cheapskate, so i need a receiver for $200 or less, but is still worthy of putting wit a set of athena micra 6's?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3854
for now yep

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
Kool, could u recomend 1?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
Hey what u guy's think of a YAMAHA HTR-5930SL 5.1-Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver - Silver??? look's pretty good to me, teamed up with the athena micra 6's? Hey Edster922 im starting to edge towards that pioneer elite system? 1 question: is the dvd player multi-region?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
I have been doing some research, and came to the conclusion that i should buy 14gauge speaker wire? can some one tell me if this is needed?, for athena micra 6's!!! or is this another one of those bullsh1t myth's? plz tell me!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
Can any 1 awnser my question?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us