Thinking of going to the next level

Bronze Member
Username: Cm73

Post Number: 14
hi everyone, wanted to provide my current rig and then open it up to which items i should potentially upgrade. budget around 2-3K.

i have
marantz sr5500
hsu vtf2
cerwin vega clcs12
cerwin vega centre
jbl rears

any recommendations as to what i should potentially swap? music vs ht is about 50/50. listen to full range of music.
one day i'd love rotel/b&w however need a step inbetween.
thanks!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
oh yes i also have a set of althena book shelf speakers i run upstairs . cant remember teh model off the top of my head but were around 200$

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 394
I'd save for the Rotel/B&W set-up if I were you. You loose a lot of money when you try to sell used gear. It's a hassle too.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3040
I agree with Rick. Over the years I have wasted too many dollars on incremental improvements. Save and get what you really want.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3818
workerbee,

I'd definitely replace your front 3 speakers and add an external amp to run the front mains for music.

this is what I'd get for the music portion

Ascend CMT-340SEs (L/C/R), $884 shipped from ascendacoustics.com

NAD c162 pre/pro + NAD c272 amp, $1100-1300

and if you want to upgrade the surrounds too, a pair of Ascend CBM-170SEs would add just an extra $300 to the total.

That should keep you happy for years...

ask around on the Ascend forum, you might be able to find someone nearby who'll let you come listen. Otherwise it's a 30 day free trial. Also do a Google search for consumer and pro reviews, I've yet to find a bad review of them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
thanks everyone, appreicate your advice. i'm going to go down and check out my local shop. see what we can find. I'll let you know.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 803
workerbee:

While I do not disagree with the other posts, as incremental changes do not make much of a real difference to the overall sound of a system, I happen to think you have a very good receiver there, one that can really shine with better front speakers, so you do have something to build upon. You also have a extremely fine sub that I would love to have, so you are good there, too. I think replacing your three front speakers will make a real difference in the sound, and it can be done without taking out a second mortgage. I have no idea what your budget might be, but the Ascends suggested by Edster is an excellent one, particularly if you have a very limited budget. Rick suggested B&Ws (which ones?), which I will also endorse as an excellent step up from your Cerwin-Vegas. Either works well with your receiver. I would go around to the audio dealers in your area and listen to what is out there--I think you'll find some speakers you really like. Set a budget first, though.

Bronze Member
Username: Uback007

Post Number: 44
go listen to some Monitor Audio Silver Series S6's and you will get to hear what that amp sounds great with. They list for $999, but can be had for $700ish a pair on-line-new. Wait till you hear them! Thats a good receiver..the Cerwin's are the problem - no doubt :-)

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 825
Coby:

Nice suggestion!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us