HDCD capability in a new CD player

Username: Clarence_y

Illinois USA

Post Number: 4
Is HDCD capability important enough that it should be a major factor when shopping for a CD player? I have numerous HDCDs in my CD collection. One player that I'm currently looking at is the NAD C542 which has this capability; however, I've heard of other fine players on these threads that are not HDCD compatible such as the Rega Planet/Apollo and Rotel models. I may likely be pairing this player with NAD c162/272 preamp/amp combo.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3025
The C542 matches very well with other NAD gear. You get conflicting opinions about HDCD. I used to own the NAD C542 and a Rotel player (which BTW does have HDCD) and enjoyed the HDCD very much. When I upgraded I bought a far better player without HDCD and really don't miss the HDCD. It is a nice feature but one that you can live without when the quality of the player is high enough. Best to look at total system synergy than if the player has the HDCD feature.

Username: Clarence_y

Illinois USA

Post Number: 5
Art -
Thanks for the information. I am doing a total system replacement and have heard the C542 paired with the NAD amp/preamp along with Paradigm 40v3 speakers and enjoyed the sound (although considering 60s or 100s as an option to the 40s for better lower end sound). But I was also wondering if I went another step up in CDP (My CDP budget is between $500 and $900) would I regret not having the HDCD option. Guess I just need to try making an A/B comparison and see how it sounds. Thanks again.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3030
I think you are right Clarence that the A/B option will yield the most info for you. Keep in mind when A/B'ing that you will want to compare all players with non-HDCD's as that is likely to be the bulk of your collection. Good luck. BTW IMO Rotela dnNAD do not go together well.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 549
Clarence

I have the C162/C272 NAD pre & power amp as well as the C542 CDP and I could not be happier (well, that's not entirely true, but there is the law of diminishing returns when it come to paying high prices for audio gear). I do think HDCD decoding is a bonus as I have several such discs as well. Art is right in that you should try other brands as it is your ears (and wallet) that will influence your decision. I agree also, you should get the speakers with a descent bottom end - to save yourself from an early upgrade. Good luck.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2184
The Rotels are fine together for accuracy and presence, and will argue forever with the Nad's.
Imagine Roseanne and Martha Stewart.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us