Is there any way i can amplify my digital source?

Username: Ivzhao

Post Number: 1
greeting everyone. i am planing to set up my first stereo system but i am facing a problem.

all of my music are in digital file format(not cd, but my harddrive instead), and i have an apple airport express which can output digital optical signal. but i dont know how to build up a stereo system around this? is there a such thing that can amplify the digital input?

the speakers i am planing to buy will be either Monitor Audio Bronze S2 or B&W 303/602. and i am mostly an classical music listner.

my budget of this would be as low as possible since i am still a student. and i found out that things like the panasonic XR55s http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009E1YPW/102-6240081-1364924?v=glance&n=17228 2
can handle this job but i prefer a stereo amplifier not home a/v receiver.

so please give me some advices helping me out. i really feel my powerbook's speakers are under-powered and boring to listen to now.

thank you for your time

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2166
Look up, Ivan.
Buy this amplifier.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8261

My poor friend Nuck doesn't realize when he posts his reply, it moves this thread above the "Buy this amplifier" thread and so he actually means "look down".

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/193312.html

Post Number: 2
does the Sonic Impact T-Amp take digital input? it looks just like the amp i am looking for. if it doesnt, what can i do? thank you.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2174
Aww Nuts!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2175
Ivan the input to the T-amp is via headphone output.
If your pc has headphone out, you are in.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4115
Ivan,

You really need an amp with a digital, optical, audio input. Then you can connect the Airport Express to the amp with an optical "toslink" cable. That should give much better sound than using the analogue, audio output, usually called a "headphone" output.

The Airport Express base station has one socket which takes both kind of connection. You are bound to get better sound with digital optical.

Hope that helps.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2177
The T-amp is like 30 bucks, student.

Gotta start somewhere, extra $ buys books.Or beer.Or food.

Post Number: 5
to john, the airport express does have a digital ouput. the 3.5mm mini-Audio jack is for both analog and optical digital sound.

i am trying to use the digital output of the airport express, go through something, then link it to the t-amp.

i guess most cd players can do it right? so do i have to get a decent cd player that has digital in, analog out. or a cheap one will get the same result? or is there any other way i can convert digital into analog.

ivan

Gold Member

Post Number: 2182
Ivan, are you in the US?
There are other options in Europe as well.(like price).

Post Number: 6
to nuck. i am in canada.
now i know what that "convertor" is called. it's called DAC.

any cheap ones?

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4119
Ivan,

You wrote "all of my music are in digital file format(not cd, but my harddrive instead)".

Then "so do i have to get a decent cd player...?"

?

Why not take Nuck's advice, at first, and just connect your computer to the amp with a simple electrical cable with 3.5 mm stereo jack plugs at each end? That will get you going.

You can then try the same with the Aiport Express Base Station. My only point is that the DAC in that is not so good, so you will get better sound, most likely, if you use and optical cable. Yes, the optical plug fits in the same socket, but it is an entirely different sort of connection.

You would need an optical input to receive the optical signal, and a DAC to convert it. I have no experience of this, but there should be inexpensive devices from electronics shops. I would be interested to know.

You may also find that your computer has an optical audio out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us