I know this isn't the place for this, but...

Bronze Member
Username: Mark_mcintosh

Gastonia, NC USA

Post Number: 44
...I got Star Wars 1,2,and 3 for Christmas. Wife and kids are out of town tonight so I was going to watch Episode 1, but when I try to play the disc, it says "This disc is not formatted to play in this region." I bought these at Circuit City myself, so I don't know why the disc would not play. Any thoughts?

Bronze Member

Gastonia, NC USA

Post Number: 45
The darn thing plays in my kids' portable DVD player. Does that mean anything?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8258

It's unlikely CC sold a disc formatted for the wrong region. Unlikely, but possible. Look for any NTSC or PAL labeling on the package or disc itself. Take it back to CC and ask to play it in one of their machines.

Bronze Member

Gastonia, NC USA

Post Number: 46
It has NTSC with a 1 in the oval, so it is a region 1 disk. The other Star Wars disks work, so my first thought is that it's a bad disk, but why would it work in my kids' portable DVD player?

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 948
It's possible that your DVD reader is on the fritz and just giving you the wrong error.

Bronze Member

Gastonia, NC USA

Post Number: 47
Very possible, but Episodes 2 and 3 worked fine.

Bronze Member

Gastonia, NC USA

Post Number: 48
I exchanged the DVD today and this one won't play either. Is it safe to say it's the player? Leads me to believe I just found a great excuse...

Bronze Member

Gastonia, NC USA

Post Number: 49
OK, Dumb butt me. The subtitles, menu, and language had gotten set to Hungarian and some other stuff. Set them all to English and it works fine.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8266

Gosh, and that movie's so interesting in Hungarian.

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 139
You get about the same plot line watching in Hungarian as you do in English anyway...

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8271

Him good. Him bad. Him now good but gonna be bad. She confused. Yep, the same.

Bronze Member

Gastonia, NC USA

Post Number: 50
To make things worse, I stopped the movie about 1/3 through to get something to drink and when I came back it wouldn't play again. I gave up and hooked the kids' portable DVD player up to the TV and watched the rest, but had to use the TV speakers. I have to agree that after I went through all that trouble to watch the movie, it was very much a letdown. The only reason I got it was for the surround sound effects and I got robbed on that part too. At least the 2 and 3 will be in surround sound, but I don't imagine the movies will be any better.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 140
Not to let the point of the thread drift too much, but you gotta love how "dumbed down" the last three incarnations of SW got. Don't get me wrong, the line between good and evil could not have been clearer in parts 4 -6, but 1 -3 really took it to another level. Both sides acted pretty much the same way, but what made one side "good" and the other side "evil" was only the theme music. It was nice of the Sith to call their power the "dark" side, or else, god only knows how hard it would have been to decide which side to root for...

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8274

Kind of like live, if you listen to the talking heads.

Username: Clarence_y

Illinois USA

Post Number: 6
Hey now I like the Talking Heads. I know this isn't on the thread subject but do they have any quality recorded CDs that will sound good on a higher end CD player?

Bronze Member

Gastonia, NC USA

Post Number: 52
Hey Clarence - welcome. I'm new here too, but I think you would get more responses to your question with a new thread. It's hard for me to imagine that a lot of people will look at a post about a Star Wars movie not playing and end up on a Talking Heads question. LOL I love some Talking Heads too, but I can't really comment on any great quality CDs. Good luck!

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 950
So Mark, I'm lost. Do you have enough excuses for a new DVD player or not?

That's all that really matters :-)

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2200
"And as days go by...water flowing underground"

Username: Clarence_y

Illinois USA

Post Number: 7
Mark - I was just kidding anyway wasn't trying to hijack your thread, sorry man. I was just making a reference off a previous post that used the term 'talking heads'.

"Same as it ever was...same as it ever was"

Silver Member
Username: Paulfolbrecht

Post Number: 168
Mark,

Congrats on investing possibly more energy than anyone else in the world ever has towards the goal of successfully viewing "Star Wars: Episode I".

You make some killer amplifiers.

Bronze Member

Gastonia, NC USA

Post Number: 53
After a while it wasn't about the movie - it was personal!

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 148
I hear that...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us