Installing the new phono cartridge

Username: Touchngo

Post Number: 1
I am blown away by the amount of technical expertise you guys have. And thanks for sharing it 'cause without you, people like me, would be left to flounder! Can you help me? First step;I purchased a Stanton 681 Hi-Fi cartridge for my old trustworthy Technics SL-D205.
The second step; I dusted the deck and added a drop of oil to the motor.It's been out of service for 20 yrs.
The third step that eludes me is how to affix the cartridge to the headshell properly.
Technics supplied a small plastic gauge for overhang adustment of the stylus but regarding any other aspect of the cartridge installation the Technics operating instructions state, " follow the instructions that came with the cartridge".
Likewise the Stanton instructions read in part, "check the turntable maufacturer's instructions to insure the cartridge is in the correct postition."
Do I need a tool? and how is it possible to tighten those tiny machine screws into the supplied plastic cartridge wings without twisting the whole assembly? I didn't install the original cartridge and I sure don't want to damage this one or bust the stylus.
There is so much slop between the body of the machine screws and the slots in the headshell that I am hard pressed to believe that there really is a way to set this up for reasonably accurate tracking.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8252

Table set up and cartridge alignment are not exactly the same on all tables. The general principles apply equally to all tables but some variations are allowed for the variety of tables and cartridges available. Read a few of the entries here; http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=turntable+set+up&sp=1&fr2=sp-top&ei=UTF-8&ei=UT F-8&SpellState=n-1243616282_q-MOQojm06uu4k1pP%2FOsoQhQABAA%40%40 and see if it doesn't begin to make sense. I would throw away the protractor you have and get the two point protratctor offered here; https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/182558.html

Let us know if you need more help.

Post Number: 2
Jan, you are the best. And you made it darn easy for me.
According to the first website, I was on the right track. Your second recommendation; the two point protractor, provided me with the definitive answer to my problem. Many thanks.

Post Number: 3
I followed all of Jan's instructions to the letter and I'm grateful for the advice, especially with concern to the protractor...very awesome. However I need to know if I should bail out on this blasted turntable.
The sound quality of my setup is no good. The new Stanton 681 HiFi cartridge and needle system reproduce poorly to say the least. Fair low end, annoying high end and limited mid-range.
The former cartridge was a Stanton 681 EEE which would reproduce sounds very accurately until one channel gave out.
I don't know how to pinpoint the problem. Is it my receiver -- Sony GX 67ES --? or the cartidge, or the turntable itself?
My dad has owned a Garrard record player -- platter speeds 16 through 78 -- for the last 50 years. He can still get cartridges for it and great sound out of it!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9287

Did you only change out the cartridge and the sound then deteriorated?

Post Number: 4
Yes, Jan that was it exactly. Just the cartridge and needle, which came as a set.
I will also add that the tracking force is set within the proper limits, the anti-skate is set to match.
I examined the spring loaded contacts within the tonearm where the headshell fastens and they are clean. There has been no mistake regarding the wiring of the cartridge and all four of the connection wires to the cartridge pins are tight and clean. The RCA jacks are also clean where they plug into the receiver.
Is it possible that this cartridge, or needle -- even though it's new -- is faulty?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us