New Cable Box Introduces HUM! Damnit!

Bronze Member
Username: Fatelvis

Post Number: 15
I've had an Arcam A65+ for the past few months and I've enjoyed it very much. However, with the introduction of a new Motorola DVR Cable Box into the system I'm hearing fairly loud buzz/hum. It's worst through the Phono. Fearing the worst, I hooked the A65+ up in a different room and no buzz. Back to the rack, buzz. Then for the most obvious test... I unplugged the cable box and hum was gone.

So other than ditching the cable box, how can I kill the buzz? Any suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8247

You have a grounding problem. There are several ways to deal with this and they vary in price from cheap to "you're kidding". Start with a call to your cable company.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1303
Jeff,

Sounds like a ground (earth) loop. Is the cable box plugged into the same rail as the Arcam? If your system is all plugged into the same 4 or 6-way block you can avoid these loops. Worth a try.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member
Username: Fatelvis

Post Number: 19
Everything is plugged into the same surge protector and it's the cable box introducing the noise. Any help would be most appreciated!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8250

Start by calling your cable company. They have certainly dealt with the problem before this. If they can't help, you will have to spend some money or do some surgery on your system.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1305
Jeff

I'll bet that if you plugged the amp into the wall it'll sound better. Surge protectors seem to inhibit an amp's ability to draw current and kill the life of the system - at least they do in my experience.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us