Help for novice with turntable problem!

Username: Bitzy

Sheffield, South yorkshire Uk

Post Number: 1
Hi, I'm new here and really hoping someone can help me with a big problem I'm having with my brand new goldring gr2 turntable.

Basically I did't read the instructions properly (my own fault!) and screwed the tracking weight all the way on right to the end. I knew something was up because it made a grating sound on the vinyl. Luckily I only used it like this for 30 seconds. Do you think I could have damaged the stylus?

The other thing is I can't set the tracking weight properly. When I follow the instructions the arm bobs back onto the arm rest and seems too light. I end up very crudely turning it until it remains still. The sound is also very hissy on the high frequencies and siblance on "s" sounds. Could this be due to cartidge mis alighnment or wrong arm weight, do I need to "burn in" the deck a bit or have I gone and damaged the stylus in the first five minutes?

Please help!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8241

Unlikely you've done any damage but take a magnifying glass and check the stylus as best you can under a bright light.

Since I don't know what you're doing I can't tell you what you are doing wrong with the stylus pressure. Tracking forace or mis- alignment could be the cause of the sibilance. Where'd you buy the table and who installed the cartridge?

Username: Bitzy

Sheffield, South yorkshire Uk

Post Number: 2
Hi, thanks for that. Well, I got it off ebay, says new and unused but ex-display model. Well yesterday the sound had improved from how it was initially, but then something awful happened - the arm wont go down anymore as the arm lever has completely stopped working. Come to think of it it was faulty from the start, I think this may have been part of the problem. Now I'll have to email the seller and see what he's going to do about it!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us