Integrated Amp Choice

Bronze Member
Username: Uback007

Post Number: 22
Okay, I've got it narrowed down to the components to match with my Paradigm Titan's

1.NAD C320BEE integrated amp w/ NAD C521BEE CD Plater

2.Cambridge AZUR 340C integrated amp w/Cambride 540 cd player

3.Outlaw 2150 (anyone know when the backorder will arrive?) paired with an NAD cd player, either the 521BEE or the 540 or the Cambridge 640c or 340c

4. NAD t743 (I know its an A/V receiver-the only reason its even on the list for scalability in the future) coupled with any of the NAD cd players I mention above.

Any suggestions based on the Paradigm Titan speaker match?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 802
Coby:

I don't think you can do much better than NAD for your speakers. I have tried out almost every Paradigm speaker sold, from the Titan all the way up to the Studio 100s, and even a couple of the Reference signature speakers (S2 and S4). My dealer demos them with Yamaha and NAD equipment. If it were my money, I would buy NAD, either the C320bee or the T743.

First, the "bee" as the 320 is usually called, is so good, Stereophile felt it was worthy of playing $3000 speakers--it simply blows away anything else in the 50-60wpc or less category. It is far better than either the Cambridge 340 or the 540 amp, neither of which is a particularly good match for Paradigm speakers, IMO. In fact, I think the bee is every bit as good as the Cambridge 640 and I actually prefer it to the 640 (the bee has better bass and a faster attack). While on the subject of Cambridge, I think you would be disappointed with the Cambridge 540C CD player regardless of what amp you get--it simply is not a competitive product, IMO and the C521bee blows it away. The Cambridge 640C is a better player than the 521bee, but it is also a lot more money, so only you can decide if it is worth the extra dough. The 640C is actually competitive with the NAD C542, not the 521bee. Finally, I have not seen a 340C, so I wouldn't know.

I do like the Outlaw receiver--alot. It does have more power than the NAD bee, and that is always a plus, but it is also almost twice the cost of the bee. I think that is a lot just to get a tuner.

The T743 is a harder decision because it is a HT receiver, so you can watch your DVDs and get HT sound through it. You can always add more speakers to your system as you go along until you get the full 5.1 system if you go the 743 route. I will say that the 743 sounds just as good for music as any of the other products you have listed, which is not something I can say about most sub$1K HT receivers. It also has the capability for later upgrades to your system in that it has inputs for 5.1 sound, such as DVD-audio and SACD. I spent most of this afternoon reacquainting myself with my small SACD collection, so it currently stands out in my mind as being important. SACD does sound incredible if the source material has been done right.

My $0.02, FWIW.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3038
It's rare but I agree with Hawk. I've owned almost everything Paradigm sells and think that the NAD gear would work nicely. I would consider the more powerful integrated as I think that the C320BEE lacks the necessary power to drive Paradigm speakers to their best. I would not buy the NAD AVR however as thier have been far too many problems to justify that recommendation. For a little more money the Rotel RA1062 is in my opinion more musical than the NAD's if a bit less polite. It also has a respectable phono section. Good luck.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Hawk,
what's you real name, btw?
thank you very much for the insight..I will probably go the 743 route, just for the scalability. I gotta tell you: I went to the shop here that carries NAD and asked my saleman what he thinks about Outlaw and he just rolled his eyes and shook his head and said,"dont even get me started" It was as if I was asking him his opinion about BOSE! I wish that I would have engaged him about why he was so against Outlaw..after I left, I quickly assumed it was just a case of "bad apples" as the internet, "skip the middleman" sales model hurts his potential commissions. But considering I happen to know him through a friend of a friend, I was not so sure that is the reason he's not an Outlaw proponent. He did happen to say to not bring the word "Outlaw" up with his counterpart there at the store and it would conger up even more negative talk. This makes me wonder: why these sentiments? Is there something about the Outlaw product that these guys know about that I dont? anyway, it is probably the my initial belief.. They do love there NAD stuff though... Pretty much have said everything you have said Hawk and NAD. Said that it is by far the best sounding bang for the buck stuff out there....
Another thing...they recommended not going with NAD for CD or DVD players, but instead recommended the Pioneer Elite $350.00 universal player...they said that is was the real deal and sounded incredible...
Your thoughts?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2197
'Don't even get me started"
Good salesguy.
Outlaws will bury almost anyone with power and quality.

If the guy tells you that outlaw has quality issues, double check on Nad's receiver numbers.That is issues.

I would put Outlaws numbers up against Rotel's for goodness sakes, None of the Outlaw owners I know have had a lick o' trouble, and these are some pretty heavily into it guys.

No, I think, no matter what you choose, that Outlaw is not taken lightly by anyone(unless their livlihood is in peril).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
I really like the sound of the NAD...How does the t743 compare with the sound of a Outlaw 1070(aside from the wattage difference)? I would have loved to have compared the two in the store. But I know the Outlaw is mail-order only..
I was able to compare the 743 to a Pioneer Elite 72 receiver and I prefered to my ear the NAD...just sounded so much more "rich" "warm" to the Pioneer's very "cold" sound..Not to get into that whole discussion.
What am I going to hear in the Outlaw?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2204
Coby, you have to try one to hear it, unless you go to the Outlaw hideout and find somebody close to you.
Check the site, I'm not sure about trials or returns, but they are responsive to phone and e-mail inquiries.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 804
Coby:

You are not comparing apples to apples here. You are comparing a stereo Outlaw receiver with a five channel NAD home theater receiver. So you get some extras with one and diiferent extras with the other. What I am having a hard time discerning is, what is it you really want? If you are looking for the best sound, as so many ask for on this forum, I don't think you will make a mistake either way. The Outlaw has more power, but realize that double the power (Outlaw's 100 wpc x 2 vs. NAD's 50 wpc x 5)is only 3 db more in volume, so it isn't that great a difference. The NAD T743 will sound warmer and a little more mellow, where the Outlaw has a cooler sound. Some people prefer warmer and some cooler. It is all a personal choice, but I can tell you that both sound extremely good, especially for the money. I have both an NAD (HT receiver) and a Rotel (stereo receiver), and I like them both very much--both represent good design and build philosophy. And contrary to what Nuck may suggest, I don't see that there is any difference in their reliability. Same is true for the Outlaw. I recommend Outlaw quite a bit, but it isn't for everyone--no brand is. Still, we get back to what you really want, stereo or surround sound capability? That is a critical threshold question you have to answer first. If you want the surround sound, the answer is easy IMO--you get the NAD. It is the only unit with a quality power supply at the price you were offered. If all you want is stereo, then it gets a little harder because the competition for the Outlaw receiver is not the T743, but something more like the NAD C372, a 120wpc integrated amp that, incidentally, I think is better than the Outlaw. Certainly, many high end audio reviewers (e.g., Stereophile, Absolute Sound) would agree with me here. This is especially true since you have already heard the NAD and you admit to really liking the sound of the NAD you heard.

One of the nice things about all good quality lines of audio gear is that the sound remains fairly constant from one unit to the next. They use a quality power supply, so the output stages are not "strangled" by the lack of power. The difference then lies in how the output stages are "tuned" to match what the respective company's engineers think represents quality sound. Thus, Outlaw has a "sound." So does Rotel and NAD. Doesn't matter which unit you listen to, from the T743 up to the gargantuan T773, the sound fairly is constant across the line. Conversely, this is not as true for many other lines. Many people love Yamaha gear for all their great gadgets, but there is no way that the Yamaha RX-V459 sounds anything like the very high end RX-Z1. The Z1 sounds more like the NAD than it does the lower units in the Yamaha line (I know because I have spent some serious time listening to one and comparing it to the lower Yamaha units). Personally, I believe this is because the lower units have the very restrictive power supply that craps out when challenged by the signal, but the Z1 doesn't suffer from this handicap--it is a really nice unit (but it should be for $3K!).

But you and I don't live in such an exhalted neighborhood, price-wise. Looking at what you can get for under a grand, one has far fewer choices. Nevertheless, either Outlaw or NAD would make for a fine choice, but since you say you really like the NAD and disliked the "cooler" sounding PIoneer, I would suggest you get an NAD, because the Outlaw will sound great, but it still may not be the sound you want to hear. To my ears, it definitely sounds cooler than the NADs. FWIW

Username: Ankur

Post Number: 1
Does anyone now how much the Yamaha AX-497 is available for in bangalore?

I am planning to couple that with a sonodyne Sonus 2605 pair for a music system. Any comments on the combination?

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
I would reconsider the Yamaha choice. I would look at Cambridge Audio, NAD, etc..I think you can really make those speakers sing if you pair them with better gear..

Username: Ankur

Post Number: 3
Any idea how much I would be able to get the Marantz SR4320 at in Bangalore? Will that match the Sonur 2605 (130 W RMS). I am not really conversant with terminology so let me know if that does not contain an Amplifier.

I saw on Cambridge sound works that the US list price was 399.

Bronze Member
Username: Eieiei0101x

Post Number: 81
I own the BEE combination and reallylike it, although It is not making the most out of my B&W N805 speakers. I have heard my 805 with other higher priced componets such as Arcam, Krell and Music Fidelity and they sound much better

I use to play the BEEs with Kef Q1 bookshelsf and they were a great combo, for me in the below 1,000 total system the BEES are great

I have not comopared to Azurs

Silver Member
Username: Jamesp

Post Number: 151
Coby,

If music is your primary interest than go for the NAD integrated. The NAD integrated will walk all over the NAD T743 for 2 channel listening.

Username: Dfree

Post Number: 1
Looking for a mid-priced integrated amp to go with a pair of Ohm MicroWalsh Talls. Considering:
NAD C372
Cambridge Audio 640A V2
Marantz PM7001
Yamaha AX-497
Onix A-120 MkII
Any comments? Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
I really like the Cambridge for the money...
however, if you're looking for power, I would say the 372 Out of the ones you have listed, thats my recommendation
Good Luck

Username: Proflex957

Post Number: 2
I'd buy a Musical Fidelity A3.5.

Bronze Member
Username: Hifisoundguy

Post Number: 64
The all new Onkyo A-9555 Integrated amp would be a really good match with your speakers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us