Subwoofer amplifier

Username: Shawndecker1

Pine hill, Nj Usa

Post Number: 1
I am currently acquiring everything I need to assemble my own home theater subwoofer. I currently have a surround system in use and wish to expand this system with a monsterous subwoofer package. What I need is a subwoofer amplifier that can handle (4) 10" 250 watt rms 4 ohm subs, wired either in series or parellel. I would like any and all recomendations on wiring and where I can find an amp large enough to pump out these watts. Max power would be rated at 1000 watts and I do have a subwoofer out channel from my Technics receiver, that is not amplified, hense the need for the sub amp. Can this be done? Running (4) 10" subs in one enclosure, wired as necessary for the ohm requirement of the amp? I've got the subs, ordered the grills, carpet, terminals, and will construct the ported enclosure soon. I'm looking for an output from this subwoofer that will make your heart skip a beat! I appreciate the help!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8221

Put "plate amplifiers" in a search engine.

Pine hill, Nj Usa

Post Number: 2
Thanks Jan, will do.

Pine hill, Nj Usa

Post Number: 3
After searching, I can see many subwoofer plate amps available at 250w. Each unit is about $130. Can I find one that can power all (4) of my 250w rms subs at once using one input? Will I have to wire my subs differently in order to save myself buying (4) seperate amps? Am I missing something?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8226

I'm not sure what you're looking at so I can't make specific comments but each should list power output at various impedance loads. Most plate amps don't care for anything beneath 4 Ohms so I would suggest a parallel/series connection if you only want to buy one amp.

Pine hill, Nj Usa

Post Number: 4
Forgive me for sounding "newbie". How can I utilize my (4) 250w rms 4 ohm subs with only one amp? I've seen the plate amps out there and would rather not have to buy (4) 250w amps to power all my subs, in one enclosure. (Way too many power cords). I also don't want to spend $500 or more on the 1000w amps that put the power into one 4 ohm output. How to I handle this? Do I buy two 500w rms plate amps to run two 250w subs each, or do I need four 250w rms 4 ohm amps? I used to be good at this as I built several speakers in the past, just nothing of this caliber. Obviously I prefer one plate amp, is there one out there that can take a sub out signal from a receiver and supply 250w rms to each of my (4) subs? Tall order I know. Do I wire my subs to get an 8 ohm load and use two amps at a lower power? I'm seeking devine direction, as I'm pricing amps as we speak. Lot's of $$ in this issue, but what a package for justification!! A 1000w rms subwoofer, Jurassic park here we come!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8230

I don't really understand your continuing reference to a "1000 watt sub". The "250 watt" rating of your sub means nothing. It is a suggested power handling spec but in reality is meaningless. You do not get a "1000 watt sub" by combining four "250 watt" speakers. The wattage of the system is determined by the amplifier, not the drivers. If you buy a 250 watt amplifier, you have a 250 watt amplifier driving four speakers. Speakers have no watts, only amplifiers have watts.

To decide the correct hook up for your speakers I would suggest you decide which amplifier you want to buy and then ask the amplifier retailer how they suggest to hook the system together. They will know the limits of their amplifier better than I can guess without any idea what you own. You might want to place "parallel/series connection" in a search engine to familiarize yourself with what they are going to tell you to do.

Pine hill, Nj Usa

Post Number: 5
I'm sorry for coming off too green. I really do understand the watts/receiver configuration, just that I haven't been into audio for quite some time and have no clue as to the where abouts of said plate amps. I have contacted creative sound and will be getting there advice. Back in "my day" if you had a 100w home stereo, you were God. Now I'm dealing with having to supply 250w x 4 of rms power to my subs and just wanted to know the best source. These plate amps are expensive, and I want to set this up right, once. Trust me, I know about those out there that think many of little is equal to a large, not me. A good clean 150w stereo will sound twice as good as (3)50w ones driving at the same time. Thanks again!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8246

http://www.audioc.com/library1/links.htm

See if that helps any.

You can also contact Parts Express; http://www.partsexpress.com/?wt.svl=1 - They have been around for a while and have a very good reputation for quality and service at a resonable price.

Pine hill, Nj Usa

Post Number: 6
I've settled on a Bash 500w plate amp, wiring all 4 subs in a series/parallel configuration. Everything from Parts Express: cable, amp, ports, ect. (Thanks Jan). I'm not close to my power cababilities but 500w isn't anything to ignore. This enclosure should be pretty heavy as well. It'll stand over 4 feet tall with an enclosure volume just over 6 cu ft. (Using the specs supplied by the sub manufacturer). 13.5" x 3" ports as well. I'd like to hear any other subwoofer projects anyone has put together and find out how they sound. I'm curious as to the overall performance a sub this size will sound, and feel. Good luck!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2160
shawn, I am glad you have found a use for all those speakers.
Myself, I would have put them in Klipch-esque bins and added bass amps, but to each his own.
Back in 'your day' this would have been sufficient, with 15" Marsland bass amp drivers in a cabinet with Radio shack soft dome mids and Super Treeters.