Foam Surrounds, Good or Bad?

Bronze Member
Username: Summit

Post Number: 13
Help!

I've been on the hunt for a decent sub. I already narrowed my picks to Polk PSW404, B&W ASW600, Paradigm PDR10, Velodyne VX-10 (this one not yet heard), and Velodyne CHT-R10.

In my place, these are all the available stuff I can find to my liking. And no Internet ordering in this side of the globe.

Cost wise, the Polks and Paradigm cost the same, the ASW600 and CHT-r10 is more expensive than the Polks and Paradigm, while the VX-10 is cheaper by half of the polks and Paradigm.

My problem is that the Polk PSW404 uses foam surrounds. Based on what I gathered, foam is not as durable as other surrounds, and repair kits is none existent here to say the least. Besides, I don't like the idea of having a bad surrounds after 5 years.

Can anyone give me the lowdown on foam surrounds, I live in temperate to warm climate.

And any thoughts on the Velodyne VX-10?

Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8141

Foam surrounds will eventually dry and crack though it normally takes far more than five years. If you don't want to replace a worn out speaker, don't buy one with foam surrounds.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 381
I had Large Advents with great walnut cabinets from the mid 80's. The woofers had foam surrounds. It took ten years for the foam to disinigrate. I replaced the woofers ($100 each). Ten more years went by and the foam started to separate from the cones. I got out the rubber cement and did a great job of fixing them up. Sold them to a college student for $50. Not bad for 20 years of service.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Thanks.

I wonder what is the conservative estimate for a foam surround to start degrading with noticeable effect to performance? And will a warm climate accelerate the process?

Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8156

Your best place for that information is the manufacturer of the specific subwoofer with a foam surround you are considering. Not all foam surrounds are the same and the maker can advise on theirs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Thanks again.

I think I'm gonna play it safe and stick with rubber surrounds.

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 1393
Hears is a link to re-edging loudspeakers.
http://www.simplyspeakers.com/2doityourself.htm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us