Hey H1

Phil Krewer
Or anyone who wants to respond. I've been slowly putting together a budget system for my daughter. Right now she has an HTR-5540 and I just bought her a set of NSP1s from Harmon stores. I've been looking at inexpensive subs and ran accross an Athena P2 at a local retailer for $180. It seems like a nice sub and has gotten some good reviews, but I wanted to get some opinions before buying it. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil

I just saw your post about this in another thread 2 minutes ago.

I'm going to check it out as soon as I get to work.

Seems like a deal.

Thanks,

-h1pst3r

Phil Krewer
Thanks dude, I appreciate it. I wouldn't want to buy it without asking your take.

Take care,

Phil

Phil,

Wow! that looks like a deal. The two trade mag reviews I read lauded the hell out of the S2/P2 set up (really interesting setup) and the audioreview.com owners loved the P2 by itself.

WHERE are you getting the P2 for $180?! I would basically buy one sight-unseen for that based on the reviews, and would ideally buy two in order to get equalized LFE dispersement in my space.(which has been a recent idea in my search for a sub...and of course is delaying matters based on cost)

In any event, I *really* don't think you could do much better for $180!! That's half price based on MSRP.

Nice find...lucky daughter!

-h1pst3r

Phil Krewer
H1,

Well I bought it. Its basically one of my imfamous open box deals, but the sub is in great shape. I bought it at a place called Electronic Express. There are 4 stores in Nashville and two of them had the sub for $180. I picked the one that was in the best shape. They also had a pair of P1s for $130/ea and a pair of S1s for $70/ea. Again these are OB, but are less than 1/2 price. I'm sure you're looking for something NIB.

Phil

You've *got* to tell me how it sounds!!

Nice score!

-h1pst3r

Phil Krewer
For $180, I think this is a great sub, but at retail price of about $400 there are subs I would pick over it. I was pretty suprised at how well the 100watt amp and the 8" driver handled the bass, but honestly its a step down from my Infinities. However, I didn't optimize the position and just left it in the middle of the floor. I ran the RABOS cd on it and it did have a spike arround 40hz that might have cleaned up by moving it around. I'll deal with that issue when I get it to my daughter's house. Overall, I think its a great deal and I would buy it again.

Phil

Nice,

Thanks for the quick review. Maybe the next time I'm at my parents' house I'll tell them that I know parents who buy their kids subwoofers...I'll look at my Dad with an expectant eye until he mutters something about college expenses and throws a sawzall at me.

;-)

-h1pst3r

Phil Krewer
LOL,

Sounds like you need to get your parents hooked on HT like I am. I do feel pretty good about what I was able to put together for her for less than 1K. Its amaizing what you can find out there if you have the time to look around.

Cheers,

PHil
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us