Infinity 12" BU-2 Sub, still considered a good one?

Bronze Member
Username: Yiotta

Bremerton, WA US

Post Number: 18
I am definitely not an audio guy, but I am upgrading to a new Klipsch surround system soon.
Not looking forward to dropping the big bucks on a new subwoofer, considering keeping my existing sub, Infinity BU-2.
Worth keeping? I think it was about $600 when it was new....
Please give me some advice!! :-)

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS 12" Sub-Woofter
Frequency Response: 30 - 150Hz + -3db
Crossover Frequency(ies): Continuously Variable, 50 to 200Hz
Power Output: 100 Watts RMS
Sensitivity Line level: 70 mV RMS
Sensitivity, High Level: 1V RMS
Nominal Impedance, Low Level: 1.7V RMS
Nominal Impedance, High Level: 12K ohms
Enclosure Design: Tuned Port
Cabinet Finish: Ebony Pica

Username: Stefanom

Dublin, CA United States

Post Number: 1
It is really up to you, and whether the Infinity is good enough for your tastes. There are obviously superior subwoofers on the market, and not all are particularly expensive.

If you want a few good choices, HSU Research makes a fine subwoofer at various price points, the lowest being 299 for an 8" 150 watt model.

SVS is also makes a potent HT sub for $429, which has gobs of output, although some have said it isn't as "tuneful" as they would like.

My personal choice was the Klipsch Synergy Sub 12, which was a vast improvement over their old KSW-12 subwoofer for $450. It probably isn't as tuneful/tight as HSU models, but I've heard from comparisons that its output is superior to the SVS, both in quality and quantity. As I havn't heard the SVS model, I can't really say for sure, but I am quite pleased with my subwoofer.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 869
I briefly had the klipsch SUB12 to experiment with it, and I was very pleased with its performance for a "mass market" prouct. I found it quite tuneful, but returned it because it was just a little too big for my room.

This is how I found out my PDR was a piece of junk. I thought that it was my room, so I tried this, and my room was overpowered with bass.

I will probably move to the HSU research 8 inch, or maybe onix 8 inch. Smalelr subs seem to go better in my room :-)

Bronze Member

Bremerton, WA US

Post Number: 19
So no comment on the Infinity that I already have?

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 873
my comment is that if you feel that it is sufficient for the time being, than keep it.

when you get your new speakers you will know. The only advantage of changing your sub now is if you get a package deal, and the sub is cheaper than buying it seperatly.

Bronze Member

Bremerton, WA US

Post Number: 20
OK, thanks :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us