SVS PB10-ISD vs. HSU STF-2

Bronze Member
Username: Jkwis

Post Number: 13
any recommendations? Going to be for mostly watching movies in a 20x15 room.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3757
with your usage (I'm assuming you will watch a fair number of big-budget action flicks) and room size, I'd lean towards the SVS---it's widely said to go lower (all the way to 20Hz) than the STF-2 which is often said to be quicker, tighter and more musical above 25Hz.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
is it worth going to the PB12?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3759
if the money's there and you REALLY want overwhelming bass with your movies, why not?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
do you have any recommandations between the PB12/10 and their cylinders like the 25-31PCi?
Is it just a cosmetic preference?

Bronze Member
Username: Mortal_one

Canada

Post Number: 30
I currently use a PB10 in a 12' x 16' room that exits into a large kitchen. And with the SVS set correctly, phase and placement (not in the corner, despite what Mr. Klipsch says) I find it to be a very capable sub. I have used larger and small. The 10 is great low, but not below 20hz and fast, not as fast as a Vandersteen but hey.

I find it to be quite musical. But it took 3 months to find the right place and adjustments to make it sing.

My two bits

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 886
the cylinders will generally perform better than the box subs in the SVS line at least. The cylinders do not have to deal with internal standing waves because of its shape, and this usually leads to cleaner bass.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
I can get a new pb10 or mint PCI 25-31 for the same cost. Watch movies/music dvd's 70% of the time and listen to music cd's the rest. Which is the better way to go?

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 894
it depends on how much you value ultra low bass. The PB-10 will play lower, but IMHO the PCI will sound better.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2004
I agree with Gavin.
The ultra-lows may be fun for kicks and giggles, but when you want the music, the bass will be messed up.
Why not skip the tickle for laffs and get the unit with all around performance?
Nothing stinks worse than music being ruined when you are in the mood...

Bronze Member
Username: Mortal_one

Canada

Post Number: 31
The PB10 is not a pounder, I have heard subs that pound, even built one once, yes it was a one note wonder! But it went down to approx 15hz! I even had a dual 8" sub for a while and also a single 8".

I find the PB10 to be in the middle, good extension, not one note sounding and still very fast and tight. Not lightning fast, but you are only paying about $600! And it goes low enough that you are not left wanting on movies! I find this to be the best part. The 8" where nice for music but getting low enough for a nice LFE was just to much for them. But once again these were not mondo expensive 8's, good yes, but not $1000+.

For the money I can not suggest anything better. If you have more money though the possibilties are endless.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3786
> I find the PB10 to be in the middle, good extension, not one note sounding and still very fast and tight. Not lightning fast, but you are only paying about $600!

actually the PB10 is about $470 shipped. It's the PB12 which is $600, before shipping.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us