Need recommandation on entry level turntable

Username: Alpharay69

Alameda, CA United States

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I want to buy a turntable that worth the money; of course I don't want to spend too much either.
Any suggestion ?
I saw the Pro-Ject Debute II in the local store and the Music Hall MMF-2.1 online. Which is better ?

thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Nottingham365

MA USA

Post Number: 11
You might consider the Rega P3

http://www.rega.co.uk

It provides fine performance and is considered a great value. Others on the forum know far more about turntables and may provide more useful information.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1068
The Rega P3 is far better, but also more than twice the price - $650 compared to $300.

Personally, I like the Debut a lot better. To me it sounded better and seemed better built. We don't have the same ears and I have no idea what your gear is, so the best bet is to listen to them and visually inspect them both. Buy which ever you think sounds better and/or is built better.

Both are well respected TT's for the price. I think it's more of a personal preference than anything else.

Post Number: 2
Thanks guys.
Rega is out of my budget for sure.
I like the Pro-ject; but I have never seen the Music Hall MMF-2.1LE before. So I don't know how much different they are.
Somebody online is selling his Music Hall at around $250; so I thought I should have considered.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1070
I'm sorry, I misread your post. I thought you heard them both. Personally I think the Pro-Ject is a much better deck than the Music Hall. I wouldn't buy a TT online if you don't know how to set it up. Their are a lot of adjustments that need to be done, and should be done by someone who knows what they're doing. If you set up your deck wrong you could ruin your records. A good dealer will set up the table for you and show you how it's done. While some online vendors are very good at helping, their's no substitute for an actual person.

Is the online seller a dealer or a person selling his deck? With a dealer you get a warantee and a deck you know is new and 100% functional. Their's no warantee or guarantees when daeling with used gear.

Even if the Music Hall was a better deck than the Debut, I'd still advise going with the Debut from a dealer rather than the Music Hall second hand. Other components may be a different story, but the complexity of a TT requires someone you can trust.

If you've set up TT's before and know exactly what you're doing, then buying second hand may not be as bad as it sounds. But for and extra $50 (maybe less due to shipping?), I'd rather have a warantee and a person to go to in the event of any problems.

Bronze Member
Username: Nottingham365

MA USA

Post Number: 12
Ray,

Keep in mind that shipping turntables without original packing material can be big trouble. Even with original packing material, there is potential for damage. With a turntable, I suggest interaction with an area dealer. And as Stu mentioned, if you have setup issues or require other support, the dealer is available.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2944
The ProJect Debut is a wonderful little table and the Ortofon cartridge that comes with it is a very good match (unlike the Sumiko Oyster that comes with the 1Xpression). I wouldn't buy anything that Roy Hall is peddling. Just about everything he touches has reliability issues.

Post Number: 4
Thanks.
I will go with the pro-ject.
thanks for all the help.

ray

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1071
Best of luck to you Ray. Hopefully you'll enjoy vinyl as much as we (Art and I) do.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us