1st-rate monitors, <=$3K

Silver Member
Username: Paulfolbrecht

Post Number: 160
Need some ideas for a friend (for a change) who wants a ~5K+ monitor/sub setup (his sub will be a Velodyne).

What are some of the very best $2-3K 2-way monitors? (Not sure of the exact def of 'monitor', but I mean a smaller, stand-mounted speaker, meant to be augmented with (a) sub(s).

Usher? Sonus Faber? Upper Dynaudio range? (I have Audience 42s in my 2nd system, which I think are just great, but admittedly they are not reference-calibre monitors and they're not good enough for his tastes.) Very open to smaller manufacturers.

Silver Member
Username: Tdogroeder

Des Moines, IA

Post Number: 120
JM-Lab

Silver Member

Post Number: 161
OH - forgot to mention that he (largely because of my recommendations...) prefers sealed speakers.

I recall seeing very few sealed (acoustic suspension) monitors. But their must be good ones out there.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 845
This is interesting to me. If someone has that kind of money why wouldn't they spend it all on a pair of floorstanders? Is it a space requirement or perhaps the belief that they need the extra bass a sub provides? Sorry if this looks like a hi-jack since I'm not addressing the question.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1067
I personally prefer Sonus Fabers to just about anything else out there. They've got impeccible sound and build quality in my ears and eyes.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 442
1. Merlins ( The monitors)
2. Green Mountain Audio Callisto
3. Denali Intuitive Design Summit

These three are light years ahead of the ones you listed.

Silver Member

Post Number: 162
Tim - why are you assuming floorstanders are "better" than monitors? Monitors tend to image better, and their smaller cabinets are much easier to make rigid and thus tend to have less of a resonance problem. A lot of people think a monitor/sub combo is ideal.

Stu - I don't think I've actually ever heard any SFs, but obviously they're very well-regarded.

Marc - thanks for those suggestions.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 846
Thanks for answering my question Paul, although, I never said one was "better" than the other.
My question was purely out of interest in one person's buying preferences, nothing else.
Thanks again.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 857
I myself like the Paradigm signature s2

Also, I would reccomend taking a look at the merlins mentioned above.

Joseph audio also makes an outstanding monitor.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 164
aerial acoustics model 5B. At the high end of your budget, (www.aerialacoustics.com) but what stories youll be able to tell after a demo. These are also light years, black holes,or time jumps ahead of the afformentioned, and if demod, youll see what I mean.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 742
Paul:

I am going to offer something completely diffferent. I know you say he wants a bookshelf monitor, but if your friend wants something small and unobtrusive to mate with a Velodyne sub, forget the bookshelf monitor route and go with some really small floorstanding units from Ohm. Here is their website:

http://www.ohmacoustics.com/1/Ohm-Acoustics.html

The Micro Walsh Talls are only 6" x 6" (a CD would just barely fit on the top of this speaker) and are a mere 34" tall (same height as a pair of bookshelfs on stands), so the footprint is actually smaller than bookshelfs. This unit does not have any conventional speaker drivers, but instead uses the Walsh cylinder speaker driver. Check it out on their website--it can explain how it differs and operates better than I can. Next to Magnepans, this is the next best speaker I have ever heard. I also have Dynaudios (which are very good!), but they cannot compete with the Ohms, IMHO. I really like the Sonus Fabers (another fabulous speaker), but it also cannot match the sound of the Ohms. The sound is simply cleaner and more detailed than any typical cone based speaker I have ever heard. And, you get a 120 day in-home trial period. If he doesn't like them, he can just ship them back--no problem. If he is as particular as you suggest (apparently, thanks to you---LOL!!!!), then he will appreciate the incredible soundstage the Ohms provide. Ohm has been around for over 30 years, quietly producing some truly great speakers, but until now, they tended to be too large and too expensive for most people. The Micro Walshes change that.

Silver Member
Username: Tdogroeder

Des Moines, IA

Post Number: 121
Check out ACI speakers Sapphire XL's & Panorama's.

http://www.audioc.com/speakers1/sapphirexl/sapphirexl.htm

http://www.audioc.com/speakers1/panorama/panorama.htm

Gold Member
Username: Rick_b

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1338
Paul,

Having owned Maggies, Dynaudios, and Ohms, if you seek a monitor in terms of pure accuracy, I suggest you listen to the Spendor S3/5. The best speaker I have heard for pure timbral accuracy.

Silver Member

Post Number: 163
Spendors!! Man, I should've thought of that. Only thing is - I'm afraid he might be a bit of a $ snob - assuming they're not good enough because they're not expensive enough. Maybe. Of course, they have such a wonderful rep.

Thanks also for the aerial rec - had not heard of them.

Problem, as always, is auditioning. At this point, I think I have plenty of suggestions for him to look into.

Not sure if the Ohms are tube-friendly enuf but I'll check them out. I remember reading about them a long time ago but I thought there were certain serious weaknesses in the design.

Thanks to all.

Bronze Member
Username: 2morex

Exmore, Virginia USA

Post Number: 49
Paul: has your friend considered the Ruark line?, he may be surprised. Very British and well made.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1929
Paul, as you say, you friend may be a bit of a $ snob, with a price floor as opposed to a ceiling.
I would love a new corvette which cost like a Focus.
Have him hear the Splendors and the dealer can put a fake price sign on them.
After the sale, give him the extra $ back for more stuff(cables, etc.)
And if he likes high buck stuff, the cables can run anybody dry, as we all know.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8087

Should your friend not want to stoop to accepting those low rent Spendors, have him listen to their Upper East Side cousins, the Harbeth line. As with Spendor, these are classic "in the BBC tradition" designs which emphasize music over flash.

https://www.ecoustics.com/editorial/reviews/harbeth

Should your friend prefer ZZTop and Thiels, then ignore this response.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 888
The Onix Reference 1's at $1500 are excellent monitors. Great looking too. I noticed that there is perfect condition B-Stock available at the Onix site for $749/pr. (AV123.com).

Silver Member
Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 159
http://www.tyleracoustics.com/

taylo reference or linbrook signature

Silver Member

Post Number: 167
My friend now wants the new Tannoy Autograph mini.

I want some too.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3049
I am very pleased with the performance of my Studio 20v3's.

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/paradigm_studio20_v3.htm

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue22/paradigm_studio_20v3.htm

Gold Member

Post Number: 2192
Psb Stratus silver and Gold will fit the budget and the taste, so long as your friend does not listen to AC/DC.

Bronze Member
Username: Cousin_it

Post Number: 46
I second the Ohm Micro Talls and the Spendors. The Ohms are the only floorstanders that I can tolerate - in that monitor price range. They are great speakers.

Otherwise, I really like the DeVore Fidelity Gibbon 3. I wouldn't even want to use a sub with them...

Silver Member

Post Number: 170
I recall reading very good things about the Gibbon 8 (I think) floorstander. I'll have to look into the 3.

Wow, there are a lot of good choices in this range. At some point, I may be tempted to upgrade my 2nd system DynAudio 42s... although I like them a lot, very musical, have served me well.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1312
Paul,

Get your friend to check out the Focal JmLab Electra 1007be. It's a large standmount. Its own stand is the 1007S and is the right thing for it. Easy to drive (89db/w/m, 8ohm), excellent timing and pace. Ported at the back but you don't hear it. These are really good speakers.

Did you mention something about tube power? If so, then do not consider my next suggestion: Totem Acoustic Mani-2 Signature. 85db/w/m, 4ohm. If he has lots of power (100w minimum), then these babies are extraordinary (I get bass measured to 20hz in my room). They're isobarically loaded with a tiny port you don't hear. Difficult to drive, so only if power is not an issue.

Dynaudio FOCUS 140. Powerful drive allied to good finesse. Ported and a bit obvious in this company, but an excellent speaker at its price point.

If he's running tube power, certainly look at the Sonus Faber range - can't remember which models though.

Regards,
Frank.

Username: Firebook23

Post Number: 9
nuck--- i second the PSB recommendation but i would go for the PSB Platinum M2 Monitors
http://www.psbspeakers.com/product.php?pId=6&sId=1

Gold Member

Post Number: 2227
Kevin, since it's Buddy's money and not mine, I think the M2's are drop dead gorgeous, as well as FULLY functional.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us