Bookshelf speakers?

Username: Bebob

Denmark

Post Number: 1
I am looking for new smaller speakers, preferably for wall mounting. Does any of you have experience with specific brands and models that are able to play music ranging from green day to blues and jazz? I will audition speakers in the price range up to 500£.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 905
Are you talking small as in satelite type or small as in bookshelf?

Denmark

Post Number: 2
Im looking for speakers that are bookshelf sized. I dont think I can get the fullbodied sound I would like in satelites. I have resently heard Linn's Katan speakers and were very impressed but they are over my budget.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1904
Bob, the Katan's are special(they were called something else here n Canada).
And, yes, they cost a lot.
Hard to match now that you have heard them.
Have you access to a deaker with Kef?

Silver Member
Username: Eld

Texas

Post Number: 130
Bob,

I'm do not know Europe prices, but the speakers I recommend you look into are:

EPOS-----Els-3, M5, or M12.2
TOTEM-----Dreamcatcher, Mite, or Rainmaker
DYNAUDIO-----Audience 42, or Audience 52
JMLAB FOCAL-----Chorus 706s, or Cobalt 806s
B&W-----600 series
PARADIGM-----Studio20v3

Good luck.

Silver Member
Username: Tdogroeder

Des Moines, IA

Post Number: 118
PSB Image B25's are very nice for the price. http://www.psbspeakers.com/product.php?pId=15&sId=3

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 132
Nice call Tdog, those are worth an audition as well.

How are your Cobalts breaking in?

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 736
Bob:

I have had great results with Dynaudio 42Ws, which I have mounted directly to the wall (keyhole mount on the back of the speaker makes this simple with just a single screw). They have a wonderful soundstage that belies their small size and are very suitable for all flavors of music short of those with pounding bass. I listen to a wide range of music, from classical to jazz, blues, and gospel, and the Dyns are wonderful to listen to for hours. They are a small bookshelf size, except they are not as deep as a typical bookshelf (14"x8"x7"), but are capable of producing excellent bass for a bookshelf. Also, they are front ported (not rear), so mounting them directly onto the wall is no problem. And, they are well within your price range.

However, there are always tradeoffs and the Dynaudios are very power hungry (I am currently driving them with a 100 wpc Rotel stereo receiver). You did not mention what you would drive them with, but you will need something that has good power reserves. Also, like many of the speakers on the list provided by Elderion, they are a 4 ohm speaker, so make sure your amp can handle a 4 ohm load (most mass market receivers cannot).

Denmark

Post Number: 3
Thanks for all of your inputs I will look at them and see if I can find stores in Denmark who sell these speakers. I think I can find Dynaudio, Kef, JMLAB and B&W. Unfortunately EPOS does not look the be distributed in Denmark.

Regards BB

Silver Member

Des Moines, IA

Post Number: 119
Elderion,

The Cobalts are breaking in really nice. The highs are very nice and detailed, not to forward. They have really good bass, better than I expected. The bass is real tight and punchy. Better sounding bass than my Polk Audio PSW303 sub, which is deffinately the week link in my system.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 744
TDog:

What amp are you using to drive your Cobalts?

Silver Member

Des Moines, IA

Post Number: 122
None, just my yamaha RX-V757 receiver. I want to get a Outlaw amp in the future.

Username: Uback007

Post Number: 5
Try some Paradigm Titans...they sound great for the money :-) Hey T-dog, why the switch from the 757 to the Outlaw? I am looking at the RX-V659 (the new version of the 657) as I have heard nothing but great reviews about it...
You're want to upgrade though to the Outlaw...hmmm....explain please :-)

Silver Member

Des Moines, IA

Post Number: 123
I am keeping my yamaha, but add an amp down the road. I would think it would add a little better sound, and take the load off of my receiver.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 135
Glad to hear that the Cobalts are breaking in nicely, TDog.

Looks like we all are saving up for something or another for future upgrade. I'm saving up for my center and another amp right now. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 915
stay away from the paradigm titans if you are planning to wall mount. They have a rear firing port. The bass will be a mess if you mount them to a wall.

Bronze Member
Username: Uback007

Post Number: 18
yes, I agree about the wall mounts with the Titans. The rear-port needs its space to breath baby!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us